iOS 6.1.3 Update Update Fixes Lock-screen Vulnerability

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilchina

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
not all vulnerability fixed. If you start a voice dial at lock screen as soon as it start to dial pull SIM card it will take you to contacts.

emjayy

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Fixed? Don't hold your breath.They fixed the original lockscreen bypass vulnerability but simultaneosly introduced a brand new one! This is why I laugh so much when folks calls Apple a 'premium' and 'enterprise-ready' brand.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]emjayy[/nom]Fixed? Don't hold your breath.They fixed the original lockscreen bypass vulnerability but simultaneosly introduced a brand new one! This is why I laugh so much when folks calls Apple a 'premium' and 'enterprise-ready' brand.[/citation]
Funny, Apple's update includes hardware like the 3GS that came out in 2009...

Please point out ONE Android handset from 2009 that gets an update (without rooting) from the manufacturer, or Google for that matter?

Just one that brings the phone to Jellybean, or even 4.1?

How about a Windows phone from 2009 that has a software update?

Right... That's what I thought.

Kudos to manufacturers that update their software! I got my Nexus because Google promises this, and apparently is the only one to do so, which is a sad state of affairs.

All OSs have vulnerabilities, Android is far from immune, I know first hand because I own one. You wanna poke fun but the joke's on you

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]christarp[/nom]http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201 [...] n-bug-too/http://www.itechpost.com/articles/ [...] overed.htm[/citation]

Truth hurts, lets see how long it takes for a fix to come out! All things being equal, hopefully they've learned from the bad press and are working on it.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]emjayy[/nom]Fixed? Don't hold your breath.They fixed the original lockscreen bypass vulnerability but simultaneosly introduced a brand new one! This is why I laugh so much when folks calls Apple a 'premium' and 'enterprise-ready' brand.[/citation]

Yeah, its already known there is another 'work around' after the 6.1.3 fix. Then again if someone else got your phone then you have bigger problems...lol.

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
[citation][nom]sundragon[/nom]Funny, Apple's update includes hardware like the 3GS that came out in 2009...Please point out ONE Android handset from 2009 that gets an update (without rooting) from the manufacturer, or Google for that matter?Just one that brings the phone to Jellybean, or even 4.1?How about a Windows phone from 2009 that has a software update?Right... That's what I thought.Kudos to manufacturers that update their software! I got my Nexus because Google promises this, and apparently is the only one to do so, which is a sad state of affairs.All OSs have vulnerabilities, Android is far from immune, I know first hand because I own one. You wanna poke fun but the joke's on you[/citation]

Yeah have you tried running 6 on 3GS? If so I hope you like your lags.

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
[citation][nom]sundragon[/nom]Funny, Apple's update includes hardware like the 3GS that came out in 2009...Please point out ONE Android handset from 2009 that gets an update (without rooting) from the manufacturer, or Google for that matter?Just one that brings the phone to Jellybean, or even 4.1?How about a Windows phone from 2009 that has a software update?Right... That's what I thought.Kudos to manufacturers that update their software! I got my Nexus because Google promises this, and apparently is the only one to do so, which is a sad state of affairs.All OSs have vulnerabilities, Android is far from immune, I know first hand because I own one. You wanna poke fun but the joke's on you[/citation]
It's not hard to push OS updates to previous generations of phones when you keep making the same one over and over.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]happyballz[/nom]Yeah have you tried running 6 on 3GS? If so I hope you like your lags.[/citation]

Actually, mom's got a 3GS with 6, no lags cuz I updated her phone and tried it out... Please tell me where yours lags... Oh, wait, you probably don't own a 3GS or an apple device...

excella1221

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
[citation][nom]happyballz[/nom]Yeah have you tried running 6 on 3GS? If so I hope you like your lags.[/citation]
My brother's still on 3GS and updates OS regularly. I don't believe he's ever mentioned this lag you speak of.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
At least iPhones get updates on day 1, don't have to wait half a year for a new update as Android phones...

Lets not even mention phones that are less than 1 year old that stop giving update support...

From AppleInsider (http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/09/24/ios_6_gives_iphone_3gs_another_year_of_life_support ):
"... there are a few missing features on the iPhone 3GS upgraded to iOS 6: the processor intensive new 3D Maps and Flyover, Turn by Turn Navigation and Panorama camera capture are probably the most significant.

Other iOS 6 features unsupported on iPhone 3GS including Safari's Offline Reading List (likely due to its limited RAM) and support for new "Made for iPhone" hearing aids (also a hardware issue).

There's also no new support for previous iOS features that the iPhone 3GS never previously got, ranging from Siri to FaceTime to HDR photos. On the other hand, not even the year newer and significantly faster iPhone 4 supports iOS 6's new Navigation, Flyover or Panorama, nor does it support Siri or Cellular FaceTime (due to missing hardware support for those features)."

The easiest upgrade is the one where you cut off features (probably because of hardware limitations) and then slap the latest version number on the OS just to make customers feel good. Apple's farts stink, just like everyone else's.

About the lag: the "internets" are full of reports of that lag. Hardly a "made up" issue. Probably the reason why Apple had to cut down the features for older generations of hardware; can't have the cake and eat it, too.

Non-Euclidean

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009

Maybe, but if you really want to see something funny, pull down your pants.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]house70[/nom](due to missing hardware support for those features).[/citation]
Incorrect. There are plenty of cases that you can find with a quick and simple google search showing these features working just peachy on the standard iPhone 4, when it's really only apple that swears that it won't work. Nearly all of apple's unpopular stances on such things have been proven to be false by some very talented people that for some strange reason still do work on an iOS device.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]From AppleInsider (http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/09/24/ios_6_gives_iphone_3gs_another_year_of_life_support ):"... there are a few missing features on the iPhone 3GS upgraded to iOS 6: the processor intensive new 3D Maps and Flyover, Turn by Turn Navigation and Panorama camera capture are probably the most significant.Other iOS 6 features unsupported on iPhone 3GS including Safari's Offline Reading List (likely due to its limited RAM) and support for new "Made for iPhone" hearing aids (also a hardware issue).There's also no new support for previous iOS features that the iPhone 3GS never previously got, ranging from Siri to FaceTime to HDR photos. On the other hand, not even the year newer and significantly faster iPhone 4 supports iOS 6's new Navigation, Flyover or Panorama, nor does it support Siri or Cellular FaceTime (due to missing hardware support for those features)."The easiest upgrade is the one where you cut off features (probably because of hardware limitations) and then slap the latest version number on the OS just to make customers feel good. Apple's farts stink, just like everyone else's.About the lag: the "internets" are full of reports of that lag. Hardly a "made up" issue. Probably the reason why Apple had to cut down the features for older generations of hardware; can't have the cake and eat it, too.[/citation]

Yeah, they aren't adding new features, but your argument is illogical for a few reasons:

1. The update includes needed security updates.

2. No one expects features that over extend the hardware. The same thing is happening with older Google hardware that got Jellybean.

3. The update includes fixes for glitches. Your version of Android from 2009 - 2013 will have quite a few issues. My Nexus 7 had HUGE issues going from 4.0 - 4.2.2 - If I had purchased another manufacturer's tablet, I would have been stuck with those issues. The fact is most users would rather have security patches and fixes for bugs before demanding new features. I just wanted bloody bluetooth to work and have the screen work properly (for example).

Android OS since 2009 - from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)
4.2.x Jelly Bean November 13, 2012
4.1.x Jelly Bean July 9, 2012
4.0.x Ice Cream Sandwich December 16, 2011
3.2 Honeycomb July 15, 2011 13
3.1 Honeycomb May 10, 2011 12
2.3.3–2.3.7 Gingerbread February 9, 2011
2.3–2.3.2 Gingerbread December 6, 2010
2.2 Froyo - May 20, 2010
2.0–2.1 Eclair - October 26, 2009

Finally, IMHO - Most of the people on here are quick to point out flaws in one manufacturer's devices when they have no personal experience - I'm not talking out of both sides of my mouth - I own both Apple, Google, and Microsoft devices by virtue of what I do. My critique is from first hand experience.

P.S. Saw my mom on Monday - had lunch, updated a few apps on her phone and played with it for a few minutes and NO LAG for web browsing, playing sudoku, checking email, and the text my brother sent while we were lunching...

I know. That was the official stance, not my opinion.

Again, I was giving Apple's stance on this, reflected by AppleInsider. Even more, I was not claiming Android is faultless, just that iOS is faulty, just like any other OS.

P.S. The "fix" made it even easier to bypass the screen lock, according to new web updates on the issue. Glad your mom is doing OK and her phone is still performing the basic functions well. Not relevant to the point I made, but still...

Status
Not open for further replies.