iOS 6 Installed on 60 Percent of iPhones in North America

Status
Not open for further replies.

ice445

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
"By comparison, Google's latest data shows only 22 percent of its users being on its two most recent versions of Android."

This isn't a fair comparison. Apple has complete control of software distribution on the Iphone, Google does not. The manufacturer and carrier are responsible for updating each individual android phone model. Because of this, most lower end phones only receive one or two software updates period.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
This is like when Apple said it had 30 million or whatever number Safari downloads in a single day. When Safari was bundled with a mandatory pushed software update.

60% of iPhone users connected to a PC with iTunes, color me surprised...

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Actually this is incredibly misleading. If you read the actual article this is only the percentage of devices that hit their ad network. There could be significant bias in the percentages and we really don't know how accurate the numbers are. In fact the percentage goes down noticeably in a couple of places which doesn't make a whole lot of sense (I doubt that many people are going back to iOS 5).

And although I agree that Google doesn't have control about manufactures handling updates they could be a little more proactive about it (say issue patches for serious issues on older versions).

kensingtron

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
I woke up one morning to a message on my phone: "Would you like to update to iOS 6, with a huge OK button, like the isheep I am I clicked it. I've been lost ever since, it can't even navigate 200 meters through an open field, it sends me 1/2 a km in the wrong direction. On a plus 3D looks more like post apocalyptic "fallout", which is cool, I think.

Also as a work around I added (at apples suggestion) the google map icon to my screen, unfortunately it forces me to use safari even though I use chrome as my standard.

Has anyone here gone form a 4s to a SGSIII? thoughts? good idea, or bad idea.

G

Im amused that even though Apple have admitted a sub standard product it still sells and people still upgrade. Thats iSheep for you.

as33

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
hihi only reason to ever buy an Iphone or Iwhatever is so u can show it off and advertise your economic status now when even the software the only ok side of apple fails u get this info :D ... WHO CARES its not like smart people buy this junk and ofc the stupid ones will upgrade so what are u getting at ?

kentlowt

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
[citation][nom]As33[/nom]hihi only reason to ever buy an Iphone or Iwhatever is so u can show it off and advertise your economic status now when even the software the only ok side of apple fails u get this info ... WHO CARES its not like smart people buy this junk and ofc the stupid ones will upgrade so what are u getting at ?[/citation]
Pretty childish comments IMHO. Especially insulting people who you know nothing about.

People who care are people like me that use aps on it to do things like help run a 48 channel digital sound board or adjust stage monitors with it on a few different brands of digital sound boards or interfaces to dozens of other pieces of non audio equipment. I really don't even care who makes it. It is the only piece of apple made equipment I have. The fact is there are hardly any android or windows based aps that control this type of equipment. Until that changes I will stay with my iPhone thank you.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]Kensingtron[/nom]I woke up one morning to a message on my phone: "Would you like to update to iOS 6, with a huge OK button, like the isheep I am I clicked it. I've been lost ever since, it can't even navigate 200 meters through an open field, it sends me 1/2 a km in the wrong direction. On a plus 3D looks more like post apocalyptic "fallout", which is cool, I think.Also as a work around I added (at apples suggestion) the google map icon to my screen, unfortunately it forces me to use safari even though I use chrome as my standard. Has anyone here gone form a 4s to a SGSIII? thoughts? good idea, or bad idea.[/citation]
Yes. I did last week. I'm very happy with the decision. The SGS3 is a almost surprisingly solid phone. Fast, flexible...fast. ICS still lacks a little of iOS' polish but the customability and flexibility atone for that, IMO. I was so skeptical but I'm a reluctant believer now. The SGS3 rocks.

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
60% doesn't seem that high, I thought it'd be more.

Simply because, when my phone synced to my iTunes on computer, many of my apps ceased to function and a message popped up basically saying that I needed an update. Facebook was one of those apps.

Considering how popular facebook is, and I assume most iPhone users have the facebook app on their phone, I figured most if not all iOS users would've updated by now.

G

You cannot compare Android upgrades to IOS. That is not even close to being a fair comparison. Apple backwards supports hardware longer then Android. Even so I am not surprised that when you detail IOS upgrades per device. That only half have really accepted the upgrade. A lot of Apple fans are starting to learn not to upgrade right away. Early adopters pay the price with glitches.

r1Master

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
I am not updating... I use the Map function more than anything so unless i can get an actual app like the google map on ios6... they can go to hell... I will be on ios5 until i can replace my phone (under contract)

Status
Not open for further replies.