ioSafe Announces 'Full Metal Jacket' Rugged HDDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
damn impressive... but can it be dropped 10' while running and keep the data intact with no glitches to the system?!

drakefyre

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
First thing I thought when I saw the title was bullets. After reading the article, I thought this is cool, and the hard drive I need for traveling. Pretty sweet. They've got to have some form of impact reduction for the HDD though.

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
[citation][nom]koga73[/nom]damn impressive... but can it be dropped 10' while running and keep the data intact with no glitches to the system?![/citation]

Seriously. The enclosure is impressive, but the weakest link is still the spinning platters with the head sitting on them (HDD only of course).

In my opinion the words HDD and RUGGED shouldn't be used in the same sentence.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
One question though:
If because of a fire, the USB or firewire shortcircuits, is there a chance for the drive to get damaged electrically (eg a +5V rail touching a grounded rail?)

toughbook

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
My Toughbook with the stock HDD can handle 10' drops, while running of course. That's a Hitachi drive. It's all in how well the enclosure is made. The HDD caddy is 1" thick made of steel with foam and gel suspending the HDD. I run SSD's in them now, so if my drive fails it's not going to be from shock and awe!

What's the prices on the SSD models?

Status
Not open for further replies.