[SOLVED] IP address confusion

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Here's a good one. Just got Spectrum internet installed and kissed goodbye to the POS Frontier " broadband". Too bad the router would see my NAS. I ran Advanced IP Scanner and it saw my NAS plain as day. I reset the NAS to factory defaults. Apparently, the NAS held onto the IP address because AIPS returned the same address. I was able to get the internet access working and went to set up and it showed a completely different address. I plugged that IP into my browser and NAS appeared. I remapped the several virtual folder and even Win10 sees it. (That was the biggest surprise.) I had the NAS set as static IP but who knows? Spectrum provides zilch user info in to their router or modem.
"Curiouser & curiouser", said Alice.

Solution
Find out your router LAN gateway address, just go to a connected computer and then in a command prompt box type ipconfig. Then go on the Internet and search for the default user and PW for that model router so you can get into it.

Then you will also know what network range you are using. You may need to set a new static address for the NAS that is in that range but not in the router DHCP assignment range.

RealBeast

Titan
Find out your router LAN gateway address, just go to a connected computer and then in a command prompt box type ipconfig. Then go on the Internet and search for the default user and PW for that model router so you can get into it.

Then you will also know what network range you are using. You may need to set a new static address for the NAS that is in that range but not in the router DHCP assignment range.

Solution