IP Address for a domain using dnscmd

I want to use dnscmd.exe to allow domain.com to resolve to 10.1.1.1.

I can manually create a host record with no name. It then picks up the parent domain, but it gives a warning (same as parent) is not a valid host name. Using nslookup, I found domain.com does indeed resolve to 10.1.1.1.

I then tried to automate the proess using dnscmd. The problem then becomes how to designate a blank node name. I found "" doesn't work, but . does. However, domain.com doesn't resolve to an ip address. In DNS Manager, there is no record of the host file. If I try to recreate the host address again, it states the host already exists. Worse, I can't delete the file using dnscmd.

It leads me to wonder if I'm going about it all wrong. Is a host file the right record for this purpose? How can I use dnscmd to create the needed record?

After looking around further, it does seem like a host or A record is the way to go. The question is can dnscmd create a A record with a blank name?

Turns out dnscmd requires a @ for a blank host name.

dnscmd server /recordadd zone @ A X.X.X.X