Ip address problem

sammi2010

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
Hello,

why is my ip address saying is the same as something else and how do i stop this from happening, also i am using a windows 7 acer laptop, thanx

sammi2010

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
only so often like every few days or so i get onto my comp and nothing else could be connected at all eg: ps3 and wat not and it will come up saying there is also something that has the same ip address i dont remember wat it says exactly at this point in time and if it pops up again before my problem is solved i will write it down, all my settings on my laptop are saying it is all set to automatic and all so yes i am pretty sure they change often i dont know i was told it could be the gaming systems that are doing it but it doesnt pop up when anything else is on, i'm sorry i dont know how else to explain it i hope i have explained it for you in this reply :(

This is whats happening: It sounds like at least ONE internet enabled device on your network is using a static IP, that is, it never changes. Your PC is probably configured to automatically assign an IP. What is probably happening is you are ending up with two different devices that get assigned the same IP address at the same time.

The easiest solution is just to make your PC a static IP on your network. For example, on my home network, we have six devices. The routers network address is 192.168.1.1, and the individual addresses for each device on the network range from 192.168.1.101 to 191.168.1.106. In this way, there is no possibility of collisions.