[SOLVED] Ip address program

Daarligregner

Reputable
Dec 22, 2016
Hi!

I have a question, is there a program that can show me where i should put the ip address's on routers, switches and pc's? ? I have a rather big network.
My Ip is 192.168.100.10 255.255.255.0
I have 2 routers, 4 switches, 3 servers (DC1, DC2, Printserver) and 8 computers.
I have simulated the network in Packet Tracer, but somehow i cannot paste it in here as a picture.

Thanks !

Last edited:
Solution
Sorry, a network with 20 devices is not a "big" network. This is an Excel managed network for 99.9%.
Two routers -- probably means two ISP. That really should be managed by a multi-WAN router if you want redundancy.
Not sure why you would need a program to manage IP addresses when you actually have a tiny network. If you actually had a big network there are many tools that are part of microsofts domain server that let you manage devices as well as what IP are assigned. Mostly this function is tied to the DHCP server. It a enterprise network the routers/switches to not actually perform the DHCP service they just forward the dhcp messages for all the different subnets to one central DHCP server.

I am unsure why you have multiple routers. The pretty standard method is to let one router DHCP function. You would reserve addresses say x.x.x.1-x.x.x.100 for the dhcp pool. You would then assign static ip to any device you needed fixed ip outside this pool manually and use a manual method to keep track of them. For even say 50 devices it is just simpler to do manually. It takes more effort to configure and maintain the server than it does to keep a simple spreadsheet page.

If you are running a domain controller there is a program on it called DNS Manager and will tell you the IP address of everything on the network static and dynamic. If you dont have a domain controller you can download a free program called NetScanTools, set it to your IP range for your network and it will tell you what IP addresses are in use.

Ideally the 2 routers, 4 switches, and 3 serves should all be statically assigned IP addresses. If you want to the printers could be as well. All other desktops, tablets, or phones can stay dynamic.

At my work we have firewall, physical servers, VM's, switches, AP, wireless bridges (connects the 3 buildings we own on the same road), Printers, and a IP phone system.
The main building is set up as follows
Static x.x.1.1 to x.x.1.119 dynamic x.x.1.120 to x.x.1.255
Firewall x.x.1.1
Physical servers, VM, and iLO take x.x.1.5 to x.x.1.21
Switches x.x.1.30 to x.x.1.39
AP dynamic
Wireless bridge dynamic
Printers x.x.1.100 to x.x.1.111
IP Phones x.x.2.100 to x.x.2.200

then building 2 gets a x.x.20.x range and building 3 gets x.x.30.x, each one of those get broken down into the same setup as the main building.

Daarligregner

Reputable
Dec 22, 2016
Thx bill001g, but this network has to very redundant and safe. that is why all the routers and switches.

Thx Faaling, This network has to be very redundant and safe. I have installed another feature, a physical firewall.
But maybe i was confusing my self because i have spent so much time on this.

kanewolf

Titan
Sorry, a network with 20 devices is not a "big" network. This is an Excel managed network for 99.9%.
Two routers -- probably means two ISP. That really should be managed by a multi-WAN router if you want redundancy.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS