IP Address Renewal

Status
Not open for further replies.

jake

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2001

I've got a desktop and a laptop, both running Windows XP SP2, and a cable
internet connection for the desktop. I'd like to share the connection
wirelessly with the laptop so I bought a Linksys WRT54G v.3 router and ran
the setup for it on my desktop. It caused no change for my desktop's
internet connection, the broadband is still as fast as ever. Now I'm trying
to get the laptop to connect to the router wirelessly. It detects the
network and gets through the security protocol fine, but it won't renew its
IP address. I've tried it at least 20 times with the same result everytime.
I've poked around on the router's web-based setup utility, but most of that
is way over my head, and I think the problem probably has something to do
with the laptop's settings not the router's.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Did you right click on Network Connections and choose properties? Then your
internet connection-right click and select properties, then select TCP/IP
and select properties? Then check "Obtain IP address automatically" and
"Obtain DNS address automatically"? You may or may not have to tell it to
connect to the network.

If you have the Network Connections open and highlight your connection, on
the bottom left, in the Details box, you should see your IP address and it
should say Assigned by DHCP. Of course this assumes you set the router as a
DHCP server.

Clark

"Jake" <Jake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've got a desktop and a laptop, both running Windows XP SP2, and a cable
> internet connection for the desktop. I'd like to share the connection
> wirelessly with the laptop so I bought a Linksys WRT54G v.3 router and ran
> the setup for it on my desktop. It caused no change for my desktop's
> internet connection, the broadband is still as fast as ever. Now I'm
> trying
> to get the laptop to connect to the router wirelessly. It detects the
> network and gets through the security protocol fine, but it won't renew
> its
> IP address. I've tried it at least 20 times with the same result
> everytime.
> I've poked around on the router's web-based setup utility, but most of
> that
> is way over my head, and I think the problem probably has something to do
> with the laptop's settings not the router's.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks

jake

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2001

Hey, thanks for the info, but I'm still having a little trouble. TCP/IP is
selected and it was already set to obtain the IP address automatically and
obtain DNS address automatically. Also, when I highlight the connection in
the network connections window and look at the details, it lists the IP
address, subnet mask, and then it says "Automatic Private Address", not
Assigned by DHCP. How do I make it say that?
(By the way, this is all on the laptop, I hope that's what you meant, I
couldn't find any of it on the desktop!)

Thanks again.
Jake

"Clark" wrote:

> Did you right click on Network Connections and choose properties? Then your
> internet connection-right click and select properties, then select TCP/IP
> and select properties? Then check "Obtain IP address automatically" and
> "Obtain DNS address automatically"? You may or may not have to tell it to
> connect to the network.
>
> If you have the Network Connections open and highlight your connection, on
> the bottom left, in the Details box, you should see your IP address and it
> should say Assigned by DHCP. Of course this assumes you set the router as a
> DHCP server.
>
> Clark
>
> "Jake" <Jake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've got a desktop and a laptop, both running Windows XP SP2, and a cable
> > internet connection for the desktop. I'd like to share the connection
> > wirelessly with the laptop so I bought a Linksys WRT54G v.3 router and ran
> > the setup for it on my desktop. It caused no change for my desktop's
> > internet connection, the broadband is still as fast as ever. Now I'm
> > trying
> > to get the laptop to connect to the router wirelessly. It detects the
> > network and gets through the security protocol fine, but it won't renew
> > its
> > IP address. I've tried it at least 20 times with the same result
> > everytime.
> > I've poked around on the router's web-based setup utility, but most of
> > that
> > is way over my head, and I think the problem probably has something to do
> > with the laptop's settings not the router's.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
> >
> > Thanks

danr

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003

Jake wrote:
> I've got a desktop and a laptop, both running Windows XP SP2, and a cable
> internet connection for the desktop. I'd like to share the connection
> wirelessly with the laptop so I bought a Linksys WRT54G v.3 router and ran
> the setup for it on my desktop. It caused no change for my desktop's
> internet connection, the broadband is still as fast as ever. Now I'm trying
> to get the laptop to connect to the router wirelessly. It detects the
> network and gets through the security protocol fine

You may have to turn off security to get the laptop working... then turn it back
on. What security protocols are you using?

>, but it won't renew its
> IP address. I've tried it at least 20 times with the same result everytime.
> I've poked around on the router's web-based setup utility, but most of that
> is way over my head, and I think the problem probably has something to do
> with the laptop's settings not the router's.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks

jake

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2001

Well, I've used WEP and WPA, and I've even tried it with no encryption at all
but to no avail.

Thanks,
Jake

"DanR" wrote:

> Jake wrote:
> > I've got a desktop and a laptop, both running Windows XP SP2, and a cable
> > internet connection for the desktop. I'd like to share the connection
> > wirelessly with the laptop so I bought a Linksys WRT54G v.3 router and ran
> > the setup for it on my desktop. It caused no change for my desktop's
> > internet connection, the broadband is still as fast as ever. Now I'm trying
> > to get the laptop to connect to the router wirelessly. It detects the
> > network and gets through the security protocol fine
>
> You may have to turn off security to get the laptop working... then turn it back
> on. What security protocols are you using?
>
> >, but it won't renew its
> > IP address. I've tried it at least 20 times with the same result everytime.
> > I've poked around on the router's web-based setup utility, but most of that
> > is way over my head, and I think the problem probably has something to do
> > with the laptop's settings not the router's.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
> >
> > Thanks

Is the laptop running Windows XP? Are you using the LinkSys software to
manage the connection, or the stuff that's built into XP? I found that
the LinkSys software would not work reliably with XP SP2, although I had
no problem with SP1. When I disabled the LinkSys software and switched to
the built-in XP connection manager instead, everything began working
flawlessly.

--
Gary L. Smith gls432@yahoo.com
Columbus, Ohio

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

>Also, when I highlight the connection in
>the network connections window and look at the details, it lists the IP
>address, subnet mask, and then it says "Automatic Private Address", not
>Assigned by DHCP. How do I make it say that? <

This seems to be out of my realm of experience, but I could only guess it
was done by the router. My laptop says

Assigned by DHCP
Access Point
Network: XXXXXX
Encryption: Enabled
Signal Strength: Excellent

Under the same area as the DHCP on the Alternate Configuration tab there is
a selection for "Automatic Private IP Address". Maybe your Details listing
is just giving you more information. Are you using infrastructure or Ad Hoc
for an operating mode?

The trick here is to make the connection as simple as possible to get it
working, and then add stuff slowly.

If you want to know more information about your networking setup you can
open a command window (Start-Run-cmd) and type ipconfig /all. If you are
showing an IP address that looks correct, you may have a security setting or
firewall blocking the communication.