IP ADDRESS

Hi, do internet users get assigned a unique ip address everytime you connect
to the internet?

and what is the difference between a ip address and a mac address? different
types of a networks?

regards

Malke

Pinto1uk wrote:

> Hi, do internet users get assigned a unique ip address everytime you
> connect to the internet?
>
> and what is the difference between a ip address and a mac address?
> different types of a networks?

1. It depends on your arrangement with your ISP. You pay more for a
static IP address. And:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=how+does+ISP+assign+IP+addresses&btnG=Search

2.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=define+IP+address&btnG=Search
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=define+MAC+address&btnG=Google+Search

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

"Pinto1uk" <Pinto1uk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> Hi, do internet users get assigned a unique ip address everytime you
> connect to the internet?

Yes. Most connections get a "dynamic" IP address which will remain the
same as long as you're connected. If you're on dialup, you'll most likely
get a different one every time you connect. A few people have a "static"
IP address, which never changes. People who have their own webservers
have these. But whatever IP address you have, it's "unique" inasmuch as
no one else can have it at the same time you do.

> and what is the difference between a ip address and a mac address?
> different types of a networks?

IP address is the address of your internet connection. Your network card
has a Mac address which can identify your computer. I'll let someone else
get into that one a little deeper. I understand it, but don't quite know
how to explain it.... :)

--
--- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

Pinto1uk wrote:
> Do internet users get assigned a unique ip address everytime you
> connect to the internet?

Depends on their Internet provider, how they assign the address to the
user(s) and so forth. They may have paid extra for a static IP or they may
be behind a NAT box that may be DHCP or Static..

> and what is the difference between a ip address and a mac address?
> different types of a networks?

IP Address is the address by which one can contact you on the Internet or on
your private network. The MAC address is a unique 'number' (set of numbers
and digits') that is given to your particular network devices or *spoofed*
by some programs.

IP Address:
http://webopedia.internet.com/TERM/I/IP_address.html

MAC Address:
http://webopedia.internet.com/TERM/M/MAC_address.html

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 15:53:53 -0700, Malke <invalid@not-real.com>
wrote:

>> Hi, do internet users get assigned a unique ip address everytime you
>> connect to the internet?
>>
>> and what is the difference between a ip address and a mac address?
>> different types of a networks?
>>

>1. It depends on your arrangement with your ISP. You pay more for a
>static IP address. And:

You don't always pay more. I used to have a DSL line with a static IP
address. I paid the same as the folks, using the same provider, paid
for their DSL with dynamic addresses. Go figure!

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 15:54:10 -0700, Menno Hershberger
<mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote:

>> Hi, do internet users get assigned a unique ip address everytime you
>> connect to the internet?
>
> Yes. Most connections get a "dynamic" IP address which will remain the
>same as long as you're connected. If you're on dialup, you'll most likely
>get a different one every time you connect. A few people have a "static"
>IP address, which never changes. People who have their own webservers
>have these. But whatever IP address you have, it's "unique" inasmuch as
>no one else can have it at the same time you do.

You can run a webserver without a static IP address. Lots of folks do
it, using the services of a company like DynDNS, which handle the
redirects for them transparently.

An IP address is the logical address of a network adapter. The IP address
uniquely identifies computers on a network. An IP address can be private,
for use on a LAN, or public, for use on the Internet or other WAN. IP
addresses can be determined statically (assigned to a computer by a system
administrator) or dynamically (assigned by another device on the network on
demand).
IP addresses consist of four bytes (32 bits). Each byte of an IP address is
known as an octet. Octets can take any value between 0 and 255, but various
rules exist for ensuring IP addresses are valid. Also Known As: network
address

MAC ADDRESS - A unique 128-bit address of a network card or device. The
first part of the address is unique to the company that produced the device,
and beyond that it is a sequence of digits unique to a single device
manufactured by a company