[SOLVED] IP addresses do not jive.

dahermit

Honorable
Sep 29, 2015
Here is my problem... I have lent an unused notebook to an Amish teenage neighbor (his family uses it to display pictures from their trail cam). However, I noticed that my email (google chrome), has a message where he has bought some ear buds on line. It seems that he has been using that computer and my wifi to do some things on line. I wish to lock-out the notebook from my wifi. The only wireless periferal I am using is a Brother Laser printer.

So, I should be able to disable his notebook by going into the router and erasing his IP address (and other than my printer's address).

However, when I printout the Network Configuration page on my printer (hold down go for ten seconds), it gives an IP address of 192.168.1.179 for my printer. But when I go into my Router's program and look at the wireless IP addresses, there are:
name: IP Address:
HPB906A9 192.168.1.117
amazon-811866252 192.168.1.146
* (no name, just an asterous) 192.168.1.104
None of which match the IP address for my printer so I dare not delete any for fear of deleting my wireless printer.

Can someone help me with this?

Solution
Here is my problem... I have lent an unused notebook to an Amish teenage neighbor (his family uses it to display pictures from their trail cam). However, I noticed that my email (google chrome), has a message where he has bought some ear buds on line. It seems that he has been using that computer and my wifi to do some things on line. I wish to lock-out the notebook from my wifi. The only wireless periferal I am using is a Brother Laser printer.

So, I should be able to disable his notebook by going into the router and erasing his IP address (and other than my printer's address).

However, when I printout the Network Configuration page on my printer (hold down go for ten seconds), it gives an IP address of 192.168.1.179 for my...

kanewolf

Titan

However, when I printout the Network Configuration page on my printer (hold down go for ten seconds), it gives an IP address of 192.168.1.179 for my printer. But when I go into my Router's program and look at the wireless IP addresses, there are:
HPB906A9 192.168.1.117
None of which match the IP address for my printer so I dare not delete any for fear of deleting my wireless printer.

Just change your WIFI password. He won't have the new one.

If you have a smartphone / tablet: Install an app like Fing. It will scan your WiFi network and show all connected devices, from there you should recognise your laptop. If changing WiFi password is not feasible, block the MAC address (or enable MAC address filter)

HPB906A9 192.168.1.117

Sounds like you did not remove your saved account info from the system, which is why you got the message about the purchase. Nothing to do with the fact he is on your WiFi, if you got a message about an purchase that means it was done using some account linked to your email. Removing that laptop from your network connection won't change that.

What you need to do is setup a guest account on the laptop and make sure your account has a PW on it that the don't know.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
Sounds like you did not remove your saved account info from the system, which is why you got the message about the purchase. Nothing to do with the fact he is on your WiFi, if you got a message about an purchase that means it was done using some account linked to your email. Removing that laptop from your network connection won't change that.

What you need to do is setup a guest account on the laptop and make sure your account has a PW on it that the don't know.
Also a good reminder to setup two factor authentication on all your accounts.