ip addressing

Scott

I occasionally have trouble where my system will show the network
connection, but the dhcp won't negotiate a good ip address. It gives that
misconfiguration IP. I go and sit next to the router and it will usually
clear.

I am wondering if I should be interested in configuring my system for a
static ip.

What do yall think?

Thanks
Scott G

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 17:08:46 -0400, "Scott" <swgreen@wowway.com>
wrote:

>I occasionally have trouble where my system will show the network
>connection, but the dhcp won't negotiate a good ip address. It gives that
>misconfiguration IP. I go and sit next to the router and it will usually
>clear.

I've seen that with about 7 assorted Windoze XP client boxes talking
to a Linksys or DLink wireless router (various models). The most
common solution was to remove the "bridge" device in the "Network"
control panel thing. However, in one case, that didn't fix it. One
clue was that if I enabled WEP, DHCP would fail. Turn off WEP and
DHCP would work properly. I've asked about the problem but nobody at
either Linksys or DLink had any useful clues.

There are also some "compatibility issues" with Centrino laptops and
Netgear MR814 wireless router which have roughly the same symptoms.
Fixed with a MR814 firmware update.

(Hint: I you have a hardware problem, kindly disclose the mfg and
model of the hardware).

>I am wondering if I should be interested in configuring my system for a
>static ip.

Yep. That's what I had to do to with the one that wouldn't get DHCP.

>What do yall think?

I would try to fix it before resorting to fixed IP address. There's
nothing wrong with a fixed IP, but it would be nice to know the cause
of the problem or at least the culprit.

>Thanks
>Scott G

# jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us

Scott

I took your advice and went to the network control panel and removed the
"network bridge." Since the problem is intermittent, it may be a while
before I'll know of its effect. I thank you for the advice.

What was that "network bridge" for? I am guessing if I have more than one
network attached to my computer, then it bridges them? If so, then I
would've never wanted that anyways.

BTW my laptop is a Toshiba P15-S409, Pentium 4.

Actually, my luck improved with WEP, but I was stepping down to WEP from
WPA-PSK. At least I think that's easier for the computer?

Thanks
Scott G

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 21:45:17 -0400, "Scott" <swgreen@wowway.com>
wrote:

>I took your advice and went to the network control panel and removed the
>"network bridge." Since the problem is intermittent, it may be a while
>before I'll know of its effect. I thank you for the advice.

It should work. One other item. If you have trouble renewing a
connection after a disconnect or signal loss *AND* you're not using
802.1x authentication, then disable 802.1x authentication.

>What was that "network bridge" for? I am guessing if I have more than one
>network attached to my computer, then it bridges them? If so, then I
>would've never wanted that anyways.

Well, don't assume it's useless quite yet. It's used to bridge a USB
network with an ethernet network. I use it for networking my ancient
laptop that has USB but not ethernet. I've also used it to bridge
between a wireless USB adapter and the ethernet LAN. See:
http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxpbrdge.htm
for some good clues.

>BTW my laptop is a Toshiba P15-S409, Pentium 4.

Nice laptop. However, the laptop brand and model shouldn't be a
problem unless there was a driver issue with the built in 802.11g
wireless card. You might wanna check for updates.

>Actually, my luck improved with WEP, but I was stepping down to WEP from
>WPA-PSK. At least I think that's easier for the computer?

Dunno for sure. It depends on whom you ask and how they measure
overhead. Netgear claims WPA-PSK uses more "performance overhead"
than WEP in their access points.
http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101190.asp

However, I've seen others claim that it's less. I didn't bother
checking if they were referring to WPA (Radius authentication),
WPA-PSK (pre-shared key), or whether it included Cisco LEAP and CKIP).
It's probably fairly important with Centrino based laptops that do
everything in the CPU. Coming on the horizon is WPA-2 (802.11i) which
offers additional security and may change the overhead picture.

Anyway, I don't have much experience with benchmarking such protocols.
Better to ask someone that does, but make sure you also ask which WPA
version and which additions (i.e. LEAP) were used in the comparison.

# jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us