[SOLVED] Ip grabbers

Mar 30, 2022
So I clicked one of those grabify ip links people use. Im jusr worried about what could happen to my network or devices and possibly what i can do to prevent any type of attack to my network.

Solution
Follow these directions:
  1. Install Fing (available on android). Note every device on your network and the MAC. Fing will help identify what these devices are (like android phone, or windows laptop, or Nintendo Switch) Write them down on paper.
  2. Turn OFF dynamic IP address assignment. This will force any device on your network to use a static IP. You have to make manual entries for this on your router. Basically this becomes a white list. Any device on the whitelist will NOT get internet access. Write beside the MAC address on paper it's static IP. Save this for later. Backup your router config.
  3. HARD reboot your entire network. Turn off modem, and router, and any wireless APs, repeaters etc... Turn off hard wired...

kanewolf

Titan
So I clicked one of those grabify ip links people use. Im jusr worried about what could happen to my network or devices and possibly what i can do to prevent any type of attack to my network.
How good are you with your network hygiene?
Do you have a router?
Do you have good password discipline?
Do you have ports forwarded?
Do you have WPS disabled on your router?
etc ...
Your behavior and discipline are all you can control.

Mar 30, 2022
How good are you with your network hygiene?
Do you have a router?
Do you have good password discipline?
Do you have ports forwarded?
Do you have WPS disabled on your router?
etc ...
Your behavior and discipline are all you can control.
I do have a routr yes and idkif my ports are forwarded and no wps and passwords are good usually. Im jus wonderin if they can actuslly get into my wifi w a grabify link

kanewolf

Titan
Is that gonna prevent somebody from hacking into my network using my ip
Your IP is associated with the WAN port on your router. This is why the questions about your router. Ensuring you have a strong password for the admin account is important. Verifying that your firmware is current. Not having ports open, etc.
Your WIFI requires nearby access, not associated with your IP.
But, unless you have something worth attacking, your IP won't get a second look. If your are annoying somebody, they might care, but otherwise, nobody cares.

Secret-Squirrel

Reputable
Sep 12, 2020
Is that gonna prevent somebody from hacking into my network using my ip

Most domestic IP addresses are dynamic which means that they change frequently. To force a change, try the following:

Make a note of your current public IP address then turn your router off for an hour or so. Hopefully when you turn it back on you'll see you have a different IP address and you can stop worrying.

Mar 30, 2022
Your IP is associated with the WAN port on your router. This is why the questions about your router. Ensuring you have a strong password for the admin account is important. Verifying that your firmware is current. Not having ports open, etc.
Your WIFI requires nearby access, not associated with your IP.
But, unless you have something worth attacking, your IP won't get a second look. If your are annoying somebody, they might care, but otherwise, nobody cares.
Nah i aint annoying anybody they just randomly sent me sketxhy links but okay thanj you

Mar 30, 2022
Most domestic IP addresses are dynamic which means that they change frequently. To force a change, try the following:

Make a note of your current public IP address then turn your router off for an hour or so. Hopefully when you turn it back on you'll see you have a different IP address and you can stop worrying.
Would that kick out anybody that is inside or controlling my network or has already accessed my devices? Im not sure how the whple thing works

Secret-Squirrel

Reputable
Sep 12, 2020
Would that kick out anybody that is inside or controlling my network...............

Turning off your modem or modem/router will obviously kick them out and they won't be able to reconnect because they won't know your new public IP address. If however you have a static address that never changes then they could potentially reconnect.

To view your current public IP address then simply type "what is my ip address" into the Google search box and it should appear at the top of the results page.

Mar 30, 2022
Turning off your modem or modem/router will obviously kick them out and they won't be able to reconnect because they won't know your new public IP address. If however you have a static address that never changes then they could potentially reconnect.

To view your current public IP address then simply type "what is my ip address" into the Google search box and it should appear at the top of the results page.
I did some search on my network router and the provider i think i have a static internet but i also read if i call their help service they could change my ip. that would work right? Also is there a way to see if someones already in. My internet was incredibly slow yesterday

Ralston18

Titan
Regarding "incredibly slow network" -- all network devices or just your computer?

Verify that only one network adapter, either wired or wireless, is enabled on each of your network devices.

Disable IPv6

Look in your router's admin pages. Many router's provide some list of connected devices and disconnected devices.

Also look in the router's logs (if available and enabled). The router's logs may be capturing something relating to the slowdowns.

Follow these directions:
  1. Install Fing (available on android). Note every device on your network and the MAC. Fing will help identify what these devices are (like android phone, or windows laptop, or Nintendo Switch) Write them down on paper.
  2. Turn OFF dynamic IP address assignment. This will force any device on your network to use a static IP. You have to make manual entries for this on your router. Basically this becomes a white list. Any device on the whitelist will NOT get internet access. Write beside the MAC address on paper it's static IP. Save this for later. Backup your router config.
  3. HARD reboot your entire network. Turn off modem, and router, and any wireless APs, repeaters etc... Turn off hard wired devices.
  4. Rerun Fing. IP's should now match what you assigned.

5. For SLOW running internet over wireless, (assuming windows) right click on wirless icon in system tray. "Open Network & Internet Settings" On new window click "status"->"Properties" The "link speed" will tell you the connection speed to the router. If the link speed is > than your modem speed, then there is a problem someplace else. There's ways to do this under android as well, but it varies based on vendor/android version. "WiFi Analyzer" by VREM software should help you figure out if there is a signal issue.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS