ip intruder? Mouse has a closing-browser-window mania only at certain times - same ip, different laptops, different mouses!

despinou

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013
ip intruder? Mouse acts weird only at certain times, closing browser windows - same ip, different laptops, different mouses.When I'm online - even on different laptops - my mouse keeps trying to close my browser window, either by moving to the top right of the browser and hitting the X button or by moving to the top left. This does not happen ALL the time (maybe when the intruder is in a having fun mood) but it's very annoying. I've tried different laptops, different mouses, but since they all use the same ip through wifi I'm thinking that I may have an intruder. I've checked for malware with no threats. What can I do?

despinou

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013

Yes, I'm using avast. It only happens with the browser, and seems like someone is trying to piss me off by moving in when I'm just about to win a game for instance. Very weird...

ldewitt

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2013
You should check your start up programs for unusual programs, really the only programs that would need to start with windows is your avast. To check on this in windows 7 you:

Click start(windows flag)
in the little search bar type: msconfig and open it
The click the "startup" tab and view whats in there

The only thing that you would need to start up with windows is your "avast" anything else can be started manually when you need it. I don't have anything startup programs on my work PC since we have Symantec and it query's from our servers. but at home all i have start up is Malwarebytes, and Microsoft Security Essentials. Anything else i like to open myself, or is not needed. Don't worry nothing on the startup tab is needed to properly start windows so you can disabled all of them(of course leaving your anti virus checked).

Also what web browser are you using? Internet explorer, chrome, firefox ect.

Let me know if this helps

despinou

Honorable
Oct 25, 2013

I usually use Chrome. What's weird about this situation is that it happens on both my laptop and the netbook (on the same wifi connection). Strange. And it is not consistent. I'll run msconfig and see what I come up with.
Thank you so much for taking the time to help.

ldewitt

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2013

Yeah no problem not everyone knows everything, so what I know i like to share with others.Anyways...

If its happening on the same wifi connection, do you have the wifi encrypted (usally WPA/WPA2 or if older router WEP encryption) If its WEP theres a good possibility you live by a smart individual who has decrypted your password and then used exploits in your OS to get into your PC. If this is the case i would recommend an upgrade on your router to a wireless N router these have the new WPA/WPA2 encryption methods. If you know you are using WPA/WPA2, then i would change the password to your wifi connection in your router settings, then inturn he will have to decrypt your password again. Let me know what you find out. Also in your router it should show connected devices, so if theres more than 2 connections(your netbook and laptop) you know someone else is hijacking your wifi.

Another sure way would be to use(if your router has it) a access control list that only allows your 2 computers to connect to it by saving your MAC address into the router, also called whitelisting....where every connection is blocked unless you add it to the whitelist.