IP KVM for remote computer repair

Greywinde

Honorable
Apr 24, 2013
Sometimes I need to do repairs on a computer that can't be booted into window for family and friends. I've looked into devices that could work remotely, but I'm concerned they require some sort central device to send the data over an actual ISP to me remotely rather than ship a more expensive computer.

I was looking at this device...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817707167&cm_re=kvm_ip-_-17-707-167-_-Product

And I've seen some where they seem to have some central hub that is expensive as heck... so I'm hoping there is a device that would appear similar to this and not require anything extra.

Ideas? Thoughts?

Greywinde

Honorable
Apr 24, 2013

Unfortunately, I am not... do you think I could get it to work through a VPN like Hamachi or something? I haven't used Hamachi myself so I don't know how viable that option is as I don't know the particular details... such as if it'd need to be installed on the computer I'm working with. Otherwise, I suppose the only other option would be a router supporting a VPN.

I used hamachi years back...... but that starts off only once the rig boots into windows, if your clients have problems getting into windows itself, I don't think that would be a possibility, you could try remote booting and stuff like that , we used Novell networks at that time, and this is like from 10 years ago.... haven't been doin much stuff remotely as of the recent years.

kanewolf

Titan

I don't know how much these cost, but this Lantronix product seems like what you want.