[SOLVED] IP Passthrough working but issues

ronb1955

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2016
I have a BGW210-700 gateway and Asus RT-AC68p router behind that. I only care about using the bgw210 to connect to AT&T, I use the Asus for wireless.
I see the BGW210 hands out a IP address to the Asus which is public, but checking for double nat I find I'm running double nat. Both DHCP servers are on in the gateway and asus..should one be disable is that why I have double Nat and some other issues like invalid packets?

Solution
ATT is very strange and it depends on what exact plan you have. If you only have a single public IP then you are going to have to nat and there is little you can do about it. If you have one of the other ones like the one that has 5 ip it kinda passes them to the end device and kinda does not. Unless you have only a couple of devices and can assign these public IP to each device it is very messy to make this work.

So this is really going to depend on if you can actually run your asus just for WiFi. This all depends on if you have enough public IP.

So assuming you have enough IP you set the asus to run in AP mode. That setting by itself should disable the DHCP server. You can if you want though disable the DHCP and...
ATT is very strange and it depends on what exact plan you have. If you only have a single public IP then you are going to have to nat and there is little you can do about it. If you have one of the other ones like the one that has 5 ip it kinda passes them to the end device and kinda does not. Unless you have only a couple of devices and can assign these public IP to each device it is very messy to make this work.

So this is really going to depend on if you can actually run your asus just for WiFi. This all depends on if you have enough public IP.

So assuming you have enough IP you set the asus to run in AP mode. That setting by itself should disable the DHCP server. You can if you want though disable the DHCP and use the LAN ports rather than the wan port if you want to make a AP.

If you do not have enough public IP you are going to have to assign one to the Asus and then run the asus as a router. You will have the NAT in the asus. You may or may not see a NAT in the ATT router. It is sorta a bridge and sorta a NAT function. From a function standpoint it is 1-1 nat so work as though there was no NAT but some tools can detect it.

ATT is so greedy this is all so they can try to sell their tv and phone packages . Even if you tell them you will never buy them they will not let you use your own equipment except on some of their very simple DSL offerings but even those they try to force their silly 2wire piece of crap.

Solution
IP address to the Asus which is public
Do u mean this is public access WIFI, no password?

U identified no immediate complaint, so I will just tell you what to expect:

BGW --(subnet1)--> ASUS --(subnet2).

When u double NAT like that, both subnets are able to get to the Internet. Subnet1 may not be able to talk to Subnet2, or viceversa, I forgot which, just PING to find out.

ronb1955

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2016
I tried my older pace 5268ac with DMZ and the Asus setup and no Double Nat but soons as the Pace gets the firmware update DMZ will be broken..ATT pushes their updates no option

TRENDING THREADS