Question IP QoS Traffic Shaping problem

Brodeany

Prominent
Apr 9, 2019
I'm trying to limit the bandwidth of my brother's torrenting problem (who doesn't even live here anymore or pay board) so I can get a consistent connection on my PC but I can't figure out my router's settings as I don't think my efforts have worked when entering the details. I have a Netcomm NF15ACV router View: https://imgur.com/a/2SOGiJW

Last edited:
Vendors make QOS implementations different. Ideally u should see something like TRAFFIC TYPE peer-to-peer, and u give it lowest priority.

There maybe a limiter built into the Torrent App, have u looked?

If he doesn't live there and not paying why are u keeping his box running?

Brodeany

Prominent
Apr 9, 2019
Well he's using my dad's laptop which I obviously can't just outright block, I have already outright blocked his laptop but not my dad's. I don't see any kinda of setting to give priority to anything, just a generic QoS setting with limited options...

The problem with torrent is it was designed to get pass attempt to block or limit it. ISP have been trying to limit this bandwidth pig since it first appeared and as they have torrent has added features to make it less effective.

In addition your router QoS is almost worthless it can only limit upload traffic. This is not uncommon because very technically you can't do QoS on the download side since by the time you get the traffic the bandwidth is already consumed. Advanced router pretend they can limit download bandwidth and it only works because it tricks the end application into requesting less. Torrent can be limited to some extent with these configurations but it does not work as well as other applications like a normal file download.

You are going to need a different router. You need one that can set hard limits by ip for both upload and download traffic. You would then limit the laptop to some value that allows it to function but still leaves enough bandwidth for other machines. If you have say 20mbps internet you could limit the torrent machine to say 10mbps. This does not actually leave 10mbps for other machines.....it sorta does but the torrent will spike above this rate because it is a average rate. Torrent is the hardest thing to limit because it intentionally attempt to bypass blocking.

In any case I suspect the real option is to talk to other family members and get this stopped with non technically means since you would have to buy a router anyway. Torrent is almost always being used for illegal purposes and the ISP does not want to deal with family drama about who is doing bad stuff. They will just give the RIAA the person name paying the bill and they will get the letters from threatening pay us money or we sue you.

The RIAA letters are no joke you just don't hear much about them anymore because they are actually very common and the news media only cares when the poor mother gets sued for $100,000 because here 10yr old kid downloaded movies. Most are under $1000 so most people just pay rather than having to pay a lawyer.