iPad 2 Gets the Teardown Treatment from iFixit

Status
Not open for further replies.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Not bad, but I could buy a netbook for half the price, with better specs and a keyboard not to mention a bigger screen and a true operating system that can run flash for half the price. That's the problem with tablets in general. They just don't make sense. Why pay more to recieve less?

Another disappointment from Apple, personally I want a tablet with fully featured osx and the ability of having removable storage. Second even my iBook g3 has twice the storage and it has a decent ssd. I don't care if it is as thick as my cisco 2 textbook I just want something that is really great that lasts and can be upgraded over time.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
I wonder if iFixit can also take apart a Xoom and determine why the iPad 2 has more than double the graphics performance of the Xoom.

And the Xoom ads on TV talk about the 3D interface and high-performance graphics.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]11796pcs[/nom]Not bad, but I could buy a netbook for half the price, with better specs and a keyboard not to mention a bigger screen and a true operating system that can run flash for half the price. That's the problem with tablets in general. They just don't make sense. Why pay more to recieve less?[/citation]

A tablet doesn't offer u any content u haven't got already, but it offers it in a much more comfortable and intimate way.
Laptops are not actually designed to be used on your lap. They are designed to be used on a table. Tablets however are designed to be used while sitting on a comfy sofa or lying in bed.

Remember those tablets in the Star Trek universe? 10 years ago we would have killed for such a device.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]Another disappointment from Apple, personally I want a tablet with fully featured osx and the ability of having removable storage. Second even my iBook g3 has twice the storage and it has a decent ssd. I don't care if it is as thick as my cisco 2 textbook I just want something that is really great that lasts and can be upgraded over time.[/citation]

Hahaha... I love how people like you act as if there are hundreds of companies with better products already lined up to raise the bar. But where are they? If they are around what are they waiting for? Hey, why not stop our over-zealous expectations there? I would also like one 32GB of ram on it, and 8-core processor and the ability to play Crysis in 3D. And if it does not do that then it must be CRAP!

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]_Cubase_[/nom]Hahaha... I love how people like you act as if there are hundreds of companies with better products already lined up to raise the bar. But where are they? If they are around what are they waiting for? Hey, why not stop our over-zealous expectations there? I would also like one 32GB of ram on it, and 8-core processor and the ability to play Crysis in 3D. And if it does not do that then it must be CRAP![/citation]

well. we had companies makeing real laptops with real tablet like screens, but now that apple came out with the i pad, production of the real tablets with real oses, and real hardware (as in an intel/amd ati/nvidia/intel) all but stopped. i barely see the laptops with reversible screens anymore.

sadly the common morons spoke with their wallets and wanted the "cool" ipad. i realy hope this tablet market dies and dies soon, before it spreads to real oses too (look at concepts for windows 8... i cringe)

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]I wonder if iFixit can also take apart a Xoom and determine why the iPad 2 has more than double the graphics performance of the Xoom.And the Xoom ads on TV talk about the 3D interface and high-performance graphics.[/citation]
Do you really believe in adverts?
[citation][nom]christop[/nom]How about adding usb port to it.[/citation]
Major failure for such an expensive product.
[citation][nom]11796pcs[/nom]Not bad, but I could buy a netbook for half the price, with better specs and a keyboard not to mention a bigger screen and a true operating system that can run flash for half the price. That's the problem with tablets in general. They just don't make sense. Why pay more to recieve less?[/citation]
Tablets are much lighter, slimmer and have long battery life... Oh, and there are tablets which run real OSes, too.

mj4358

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]well. we had companies makeing real laptops with real tablet like screens, but now that apple came out with the i pad, production of the real tablets with real oses, and real hardware (as in an intel/amd ati/nvidia/intel) all but stopped. i barely see the laptops with reversible screens anymore.sadly the common morons spoke with their wallets and wanted the "cool" ipad. i realy hope this tablet market dies and dies soon, before it spreads to real oses too (look at concepts for windows 8... i cringe)[/citation]

Please explain why people who buy an iPad is a Moron?

[citation][nom]mj4358[/nom]Please explain why people who buy an iPad is a Moron?[/citation]
because they are pretty much useless devices. Someone who is not a moron would have more sense than to buy an ipad or other tablet computer, but particularly the ipad because of its limited capabilities, low hardware specs, restrictive OS and high price.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]iam2thecrowe[/nom]because they are pretty much useless devices. Someone who is not a moron would have more sense than to buy an ipad or other tablet computer, but particularly the ipad because of its limited capabilities, low hardware specs, restrictive OS and high price.[/citation]
People who buy Playstation 3s or Xbox 360s or hand-held gaming consoles must be morons too then. They are useless devices, too.

People, who say tablets are useless, seem to have got it into their head that tablets are somehow meant to replace laptops.
Tablets are meant to be e-readers on steroids. They can't do anything a laptop can't, but they offer a whole new experience to the user. Leaning back in your comfy sofa while reading your emails or surfing the web with your fingers is impossible with your laptop, which despite the name is not actually designed to be used in your lap.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]iam2thecrowe[/nom]because they are pretty much useless devices. Someone who is not a moron would have more sense than to buy an ipad or other tablet computer, but particularly the ipad because of its limited capabilities, low hardware specs, restrictive OS and high price.[/citation]

wow, you summed it up pretty nice there. i was thinking more along the lines of a laptop with a reversible screen can do so much more than the ipad, could actually be used in a benefitial way, in such things like video editing (youtubers would love that) because it had a real os, it can handel things like flash, or other smaller games. with steam, its not even hard for a normal person to get a game and play it anymore (my computer illerate mom got 2 games, made her own account, and set everything up herself) and even than, you have a wider choice of games.

if there was a pc capable ipod emulator, or just run ipod games off a computer through i tunes, it would have a fairly large share of the market.

i firmly believe that people, given the choice between a gen 1 ipad, and a real tablet pc, chose the ipad, in many cases the more expensive of the choices, to be stupid.

apple single handedly made a new market that didnt need to be made, and ruined a second market that would have had far more value to the world.

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Personally, the ones calling buyers of Ipads morons are morons themselves. This is America, we have the freedom of choice. Apparently, the choice last year was overwelminly the Ipad. I originally thought it was a stupid device, just an oversized phone, and that it wouldn't sell. Then I played with one for a while and I truly saw the apeal and realized the potential.

The current real apeal is for people who aren't computer savy because it is probably the easiest device for people who just want to browse the web and look at emails, read books, watch videos, etc without having any problems with viruses, etc.

Also, for your information, the tablet is not a fad that will go away. The industrial applications for it are unlimited. People in the industry will begin to use tablets in everyday work wether it is accessing a repair manual while overhauling an aircraft engine, a manager carying it with him to check the status of the production on an assembly line, or a doctor in the hospital carrying it with him entering the room of his patient while the tablet automatically updates the patient information on the screen based on proximity sensors in the tablet.
If you hate tablets and want them to go away then I think you are up for a disapointment!

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
^ That's why the hater will never prosper. They can't see past their hate to realize the potential of a device. People with vision will look at tablets and start to think of areas they could be useful, then develop apps to target that market. They can't do everything, and they weren't designed to replace laptops. But there are some things they excel at.

cirdecus

Distinguished
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]Another disappointment from Apple, personally I want a tablet with fully featured osx and the ability of having removable storage. Second even my iBook g3 has twice the storage and it has a decent ssd. I don't care if it is as thick as my cisco 2 textbook I just want something that is really great that lasts and can be upgraded over time.[/citation]

I think you're confusing "laptop" with "tablet". It's like saying "geez this laptop is a disappointment, i can't even upgrade to quad SLI and 6 hard drives!"

mj4358

Distinguished
May 28, 2009

I bet you would have said the same thing about laptops when they were first introduced. I am pretty sure those who choose to buy the ipad has there own justification that does not warrant being called a moron. Besides, by what paradigm are you coming to this conclusion? The vague explanation you gave is hardly a reason to call someone a moron...but the bigger question is would you consider people who bought the xoom morons too? Or do you have a problem with tablets? Also, How do you know that the consumer is not informed regarding computers, laptops and netbooks and decided that iPad fits his/her needs. Can you answer that with any level of accuracy beyond your biased conjecture? I'm willing to bet you can't and that makes you the fool.

G

I'm one of the morons that has an ipad! and I do moronic things with it like:
I control my HTPC with it;
use it for portfolio presentations (I'm a photographer and graphic designer);
use it as a sketch pad for sketching out design concepts, use it to pull up recipes when I'm cooking;
-keep track of my nutrition (restricted, low sodium diet)and calorie intact.

granted I could do that with my 17inch toshiba laptop, but it's a bit heavy to lug around everywhere.

- happy Moron

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]mj4358[/nom]I bet you would have said the same thing about laptops when they were first introduced. I am pretty sure those who choose to buy the ipad has there own justification that does not warrant being called a moron. Besides, by what paradigm are you coming to this conclusion? The vague explanation you gave is hardly a reason to call someone a moron...but the bigger question is would you consider people who bought the xoom morons too? Or do you have a problem with tablets? Also, How do you know that the consumer is not informed regarding computers, laptops and netbooks and decided that iPad fits his/her needs. Can you answer that with any level of accuracy beyond your biased conjecture? I'm willing to bet you can't and that makes you the fool.[/citation]

^ I present you with this gift of +20 internets. Godspeed, Sir, Godspeed!

G

So, let me get this right - My Compaq/HP Tc1100 made in 2003 still out performs an iPad (cpu/ram/hdd), runs windows7 and therefore all associated applications (can also be 'hackintoshed' for those against Win OS's), has a removable keyboard, USB ports and the ability to attach an external monitor - and can be bought now for about $50.

I love the concept of an iPad style device, but Ill settle still for the pen in place of a multitouch display, until someone releases a tablet worthy of my upgrade dollars.

[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]^ That's why the hater will never prosper. They can't see past their hate to realize the potential of a device. People with vision will look at tablets and start to think of areas they could be useful, then develop apps to target that market. They can't do everything, and they weren't designed to replace laptops. But there are some things they excel at.[/citation]

Before the ipad there were other tablets going back to the win 9x era that had features that ipad doesn't such as usb and being able to be upgraded for longer life. My personal favorites were the compaq tc1100 and the fujitsu tablets. They still offer more than the ipad does even in their age.

Status
Not open for further replies.