iPad 5 Could Arrive as Soon as March 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I had planned to purchase my daughter the new iPad for her birthday at the end of January. Thinking I might just get a nice android.

Nothing says suck more than spending $600 on hardware and applications to have your hardware be obsolete 6-8 weeks later.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
One company manages to get chip structures down to 14nm, the other shaves 17mm of the width of it's newest "innovation". Any questions?

juanc

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
point is. what can you do with the new one, that you'll miss having the previous model?

There's no one forcing you to update. It's good that the device is continuosly enhanced, but you don't need to step each 6 months from one model to another. If you do, you are a consumist, and that's your problem... if you don't then skip a couple of models... because now you know that in 6 months you'll have iPad 6, with new colors available.

G

Brands like AMD/Intel/Nvidia have been doing this consistently for at least the past decade.

Samsung has released a new Galaxy device every few months.

But of course, since it is Apple...we have to make a huge deal about it.

notsleep

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
the only people who buys need apple product every 6 months are apple fans and people with too much money and time on their hands.

i like the quick release cycle though. it brings new tech to the market. which means it'll drive down the cost of the components for everyone else since the rich folks will buy them. i can then afford a nexus 10. :)

competition is good folks. :p

[citation][nom]jay_nar2012[/nom]A lot of people want the latest tech, if Apple keep releasing new products ever few months people are going to get pissed off as they have to keep wasting money.[/citation]
most of my friends are mac users, and they are already pretty ticked off about the ipad 4 because most of them had just gotten the previous one a month or two before, and there was a HUGE difference in performance between the two. If this new one is more of an incremental update (bigger storage and a few tweaks) then they will just accept it, but if it is another big jump in performance or battery life then that just might be enough to push them away from apple.

phishy714

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
[citation][nom]jay_nar2012[/nom]Why don' t the idiots at Apple use their brains and release one new ipad every one or two years, not every 6 months.[/citation]

If they can make a ridiculous amount of money off fanbois who want the latest and (not greatest but same for the most part), why not? Typical company making lots of money off of uninformed (and sometimes stupid) consumers.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]jay_nar2012[/nom]Why don' t the idiots at Apple use their brains and release one new ipad every one or two years, not every 6 months.[/citation]

Because they are tired of idiots telling them that their release cycle is too long. Are you one of the 'tards that thinks the old device magically stops working when the new one is released?

jay_nar2012

Distinguished
I was think on the lines of app support, if a new ipad comes out a while after this one with new hardware, apps will start being made for the newer ipad, which leaves people with older ipads more in the dark.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]evildoer993[/nom]I had planned to purchase my daughter the new iPad for her birthday at the end of January. Thinking I might just get a nice android.Nothing says suck more than spending $600 on hardware and applications to have your hardware be obsolete 6-8 weeks later.[/citation]

No, nothing says suck like spending $$$ on a piece of hardware and then having your daughter complain she can't find her favorite Apps, or when she does find them they suck compared to the iOS version. Or when she goes to the store to get a custom case and there's only 5 to choose from. Or when she wants to play games with her friends and they all have iPads.

For nerds and people who like to tinker Android will do you fine. But I would never subject my kids to the frustration and eventual dissatisfaction that is the Android tablet ecosystem.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]juanc[/nom]point is. what can you do with the new one, that you'll miss having the previous model?[/citation]

Exactly. I bought the iPad 4 for the kids. It's smoking fast and has lots of Apps. They're both into music so I got them a full suite of various synthesizer, music production and DAW Apps. I was able to set up a complete home studio for a very small investment.

None of what I bought will go obsolete the day a new iPad comes out - it will continue to work great and is infintely more usable than Android (which is absolutely USELESS for music/audio production).

G

Unfortunatley this is becoming the nature of hardware. Cell phones will be refreshed every 3-4 months soon. I just bought my galaxy note 1 6 months ago now the Note 2 is out and the NOTE 3 has been announced for next Summer. Keeping up with thos stuff even for tjose of us that can afford it are starting to get ill towards it.

scannall

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
I really don't get this. I have the iPad3, and when the iPad 4 was announced it didn't bother me a bit. I'm glad to see a product line I like making progress. And it doesn't change my own personal upgrade cycle one little bit. The 3 does everything I bought it for just fine, and in a couple years I'll upgrade it. But then again, my self esteem isn't derived by what people think of my possessions.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
in apple's defense they are just trying to keep ahead of the game the competition is good for everybody.

I have a samsung galaxy nexus phone, it is great, does wha ti need it to do and have yet to find an app it cna't run including fairly demanding ones like mass effec tinfiltrator and the dark knight rises games. they run smooth and dont' crash on my older hardware... the samsung galaxy s3 and the note 2 both beat my phone hardware wise.. but does that mean my phone doesn't still function? nope works fine fo rmy needs heck scompared my my phone the wife's htc evo is ancient tech but it still works for what she does.

before i got my galaxy nexus i used a palm pre from the day it was released till i believe april of this year, it was like 3 almsot 4 yeas with the palm pre and it did everything i needed for it to do, sure there were bigger better phones out there but it didn't stop my little palm pre from meeting my needs

maulvader

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
1. Arrival of a new product does NOT make the last version obsolete.
2. Apple will NOT release a new iPad in March.

The only plausible reason for updating the last iPad so quickly was to bring the release cycle in line with the frenzied holiday shopping season. Considering how upset people were at the quick update of the last iPad, no way in hell Apple repeats that mistake again (unless Tim Cook is looking for another job).

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Apple forces obscelescence - with new revs of the OS, they will stop supporting "older" hardware. Then iTunes and the app store not work with older versions of iOS. Then apps will even take advantage of new features such that they will require you to have the latest OS. These dependencies are always stack in Apple's favor and are designed to make you see the "new and improved" rather than the "we are forcing you to throw away perfectly good hardware and buy our new hardware".

I know they don't do this with the "last" edition, or even the previous last, but they do eventually and this just quickens the death of the device you just purchased.

All of this being said, your older device eventually gets "forced" out and with Apple accelerating the time between hardware, how long will it be before the iPad 3 suffers from forced obscelescence?

scannall

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
[citation][nom]hoofhearted[/nom]Apple forces obscelescence - with new revs of the OS, they will stop supporting "older" hardware. Then iTunes and the app store not work with older versions of iOS. Then apps will even take advantage of new features such that they will require you to have the latest OS. These dependencies are always stack in Apple's favor and are designed to make you see the "new and improved" rather than the "we are forcing you to throw away perfectly good hardware and buy our new hardware".I know they don't do this with the "last" edition, or even the previous last, but they do eventually and this just quickens the death of the device you just purchased. All of this being said, your older device eventually gets "forced" out and with Apple accelerating the time between hardware, how long will it be before the iPad 3 suffers from forced obscelescence?[/citation]

Oh, I'm sure it will be supported far longer than any Honeycomb tablet was.

Status
Not open for further replies.