iPad Dominates Tablet Market, Google Nexus Increases Share

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzureFlash

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
I'm going to interpret "Unidentifiable Android Tablets" as referring to badass power users who solder together their own tablets and compile their own custom Android fork, and do their everyday tasks in realtime mental binary execution along with a magnetized needle and a steady hand.

Not this again... Web traffic does not = market share. And everyone i have ever seen run Android immediately switches their browser to say its a desktop, not Android. Who wants s crummy mobile version of half a webpage?

tanjo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
I have never seen something so biased before... even from you, Zak. How can you come up with this conclusion? Do Chitaka control all ads in NA? Very misleading numbers. Unless they used data from other mobile advertisers, which I'm pretty sure they didn't.

Let's say 100 million iPads in NA. There's only 1.22M Nexus? 220K Surface?

viper666

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
Misleading title as always from the well known apple fanboy Zak Islam. Oh and the tablet market is not limited to NA (unless they also think the earth is flat)

"iPad Dominates Tablet Market" is not the same thing with "87 percent of NA web traffic."

"iPad dominates the web traffic in North America" would have been more suitable;

halcyon

Splendid
@ KillerClick ...Surface period. LOL

The iPad 3 and 4 are still really nice hardware with really nice displays that have access to a really nice App Store ecosystem that is, IMO, wasted on iOS. iOS is just too simple and looks too dated compared to ICS and JellyBean. Apple is aware of this and they're secretly working on making iOS something an enthusiast wouldn't be so embarrassed to be seen using.

Many folks in the US are still simple-minded when it comes to technology so they gravitate to what Apple is offering. Remember, the US is far behind the rest of the world in math and science...I think this may relate to our iOS usage, simpler OS for simpler minds? Just a hypothesis. Don't get me wrong, I've said this before, American brainiacs are a serious and elite bunch. Hence, we make the most efficient, nasty, ...and popular killing instruments mankind has ever known and if you're on our good-list we may even sell you some. LOL.

I'm proud to be an American Android user in those 0.17 impressions.

G

I refuse to believe that "iPad generates 87 percent of North American web traffic"... where do these numbers come from?

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]unksol[/nom]Not this again... Web traffic does not = market share. And everyone i have ever seen run Android immediately switches their browser to say its a desktop, not Android. Who wants s crummy mobile version of half a webpage?[/citation]

This shows how stupid you (and the idiots who up voted you) truly are. Changing your browser user agent to show desktop DOES NOT fool analytics software. Do you still believe the world is flat?

All good modern analytics software can determine the browser, OS version and even the device make/model REGARDLESS of what your browser is set to. The fact that you (and others) don't even know this shows how completely ignorant you are of how analytic software grabs these statistics.

And Chitika is only one company. Studies have been done by numerous firms (including IBM) that track other data besides ads and they come up with the same numbers (iPad sitting close to 90%). How do you explain those numbers? A conspiracy between rival firms to show the iPad as being most popular?

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]lordroy[/nom]I refuse to believe that "iPad generates 87 percent of North American web traffic"... where do these numbers come from?[/citation]

Every analytics company that tracks web usage has the iPad at close to 90% in the US.

Why do you refuse to believe? Do you have evidence to prove this wrong? Or is it simply because you don't like Apple?

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Old Fogie: You should have read my post before commenting. Again, CHANGING YOUR BROWSER USER AGENT DOES NOT WORK.

I suggest you go over to Google Analytics (for example) and see what data they can provide you. Then come back and tell me again what effect changing your user agent has.

ivanto

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
Could it be that iPad users are more active on the web while android tablet users are reading books/using apps?

A few month ago, I tried Google Nexus 7 and several other 7' android tablets at the Tiger Direct store. All of them had pretty horrible web browsing experience. For instance, javascript wasn't working on many sites. Pinch to zoom was jerky, and other seemingly minor but very irritating "user experience bugs".
Can actual owners share their web browsing experience on android tablets? thanks in advance
-IvanTO

guru_urug

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
[citation][nom]ivanto[/nom]Could it be that iPad users are more active on the web while android tablet users are reading books/using apps? A few month ago, I tried Google Nexus 7 and several other 7' android tablets at the Tiger Direct store. All of them had pretty horrible web browsing experience. For instance, javascript wasn't working on many sites. Pinch to zoom was jerky, and other seemingly minor but very irritating "user experience bugs". Can actual owners share their web browsing experience on android tablets? thanks in advance -IvanTO[/citation]

I use dolphin browser on my nexus 7 and I am more than satisfied with my web browsing experience on the tab.

halcyon

Splendid
^ I can say that when I auditioned the Asus Transformer Infinity back in September the web browsing experience was indeed very jerky, yet it was smooth as glass on my Samsung S3. In an attempt to correct that, display defects, and other issues seen with the Asus I moved to the Nexus 7. Web browsing was better but still not as smooth as the S3. I decided I wasn't gaining $250 worth in addition to the S3. The goal had been to duplicate the S3's smooth experience told a tablet. Looks like having 2GB of RAM had quite an impact. Now with the Note 2 and an appropriate amount of RAM and a larger screen everything is butter smooth and the screen is big enough I don't long for larger.

In my experience described above you need 2+ GB of RAM for a nice and smooth Android experience.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Direct quote from Google Analytics:

"The Mobile Devices report lets you see visitor statistics by mobile device, brand, service provider, input selector (e.g., touchscreen, joystick, stylus), operating system, and other dimensions like screen resolution (all on the Explorer tab), and by the locations from which visits originate (the Map Overlay tab)."

This is the free version. They have an Enterprise version with more functionality and even an SDK to allow you to use Google Analytics inside an App. Tell me how changing a user agent will change the data from an App that doesn't even use WebKit or doesn't browse websites? Or how a user agent change prevents GA from knowing your device make & model, the OS version or service provider?

[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]Old Fogie: You should have read my post before commenting. Again, CHANGING YOUR BROWSER USER AGENT DOES NOT WORK. I suggest you go over to Google Analytics (for example) and see what data they can provide you. Then come back and tell me again what effect changing your user agent has.[/citation]
If you provide me with a link that I can use to validate your claim, I'll change my post; otherwise, I can't think of a good reason why it isn't possible for a browser to successfully disguise itself.

And even if you're right about that, it doesn't change the fact that if you don't load a company's ads, you're not going to get counted by that ad company.

[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]Direct quote from Google Analytics: "The Mobile Devices report lets you see visitor statistics by mobile device, brand, service provider, input selector (e.g., touchscreen, joystick, stylus), operating system, and other dimensions like screen resolution (all on the Explorer tab), and by the locations from which visits originate (the Map Overlay tab)." This is the free version. They have an Enterprise version with more functionality and even an SDK to allow you to use Google Analytics inside an App. Tell me how changing a user agent will change the data from an App that doesn't even use WebKit or doesn't browse websites? Or how a user agent change prevents GA from knowing your device make & model, the OS version or service provider?[/citation]
So, point me to a page that I can go to that Google will tell me what it knows about me. When you come right down to it, it's all just numbers flowing through a wire or beaming through the air. All Google knows is what numbers you send it. Maybe it can do some clever inferring or whatever, but all it has to go on is the information your device provided.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]Old_Fogie_Late_Bloomer[/nom]If you provide me with a link that I can use to validate your claim, I'll change my post; otherwise, I can't think of a good reason why it isn't possible for a browser to successfully disguise itself.And even if you're right about that, it doesn't change the fact that if you don't load a company's ads, you're not going to get counted by that ad company.[/citation]

You won't change anything because you refuse to believe facts that show Apple dominating.

http://google.com/analytics

It explains everything. You can sign up for your own account if you have a website and google will provide you with the necessary code to add to your web page. If you have a PHP based site (like a forum or Wordpress) Google will also provide the necessary code to add to a template. Better yet, some forum software and CMS systems already have Google Analytics built-in and all you have to do is provide the ID Number Google have you when you signed up.

Again, I highly doubt you'll even bother to read up on analytics. What I find funny is my own website also shows iPad domination. And it's GOOGLE ANALYTICS that gives me this data. Google, the developer of Android is telling me Android tablets aren't even aking a debt compared to iPads. I find that quite ironic.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
"Apple's lineup of the iPad generates 87 percent of North American web traffic"

That is a BS number. Not a chance in hell that iPads eating up 87% of network traffic.

What is that number based on?

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]"Apple's lineup of the iPad generates 87 percent of North American web traffic"That is a BS number. Not a chance in hell that iPads eating up 87% of network traffic.What is that number based on?[/citation]
I infer they mean 87% of tablet network traffic. Am I inferring too much?

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]In my experience described above you need 2+ GB of RAM for a nice and smooth Android experience.[/citation]
I think so too. 2GB is where things are starting to become interesting. With only 1GB, apps have to conserve memory more aggressively with all the inconvenients that go with it.

We will probably have to wait for 8Gbits dies to become available before 2GB becomes standard. Current 8Gbits packages are either 2x4Gbits or 4x2Gbits dies, which means extra cost and power.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Old-Fogie: Ah the old fall back. Claiming you don't have time to read up on a topic like analytics so you can therefore choose not to believe.

You made two false statements: that Android users can change their user agent and they can block ads. If you bothered to educate yourself on how this data is obtained you'd realize you are wrong. What's next, you going to tell people which video card is faster BEFORE reading the benchmarks?

You again come back to ads when I already explained other companies that DON'T use ads to track web usage also have similar numbers. What's your answer to those companies?

Status
Not open for further replies.