Ipad kills the home wifi

Sep 21, 2018
Hey guys and ladies,
Our internet becomes unusable when an ipad connects to it. Every other device is fine, and we havent had issues with it at all until an ipad joins the network.
Ive reset the router, im not sure what else to do. I had a quick google but it only brings up results that say ‘the wifi on my ipads slow’
Thanks in advance!

Solution
If it's using the internet in an unexpected way it's going to require specific packet inspecting and monitoring tools to see what it's doing.
You can factory reset it and see if the issues go away. Then reload apps and make sure it doesn't come back after loading apps in.
Try running the free version of bitdefender on it first.

There are a variety of things it could be. It takes a lot of trial/error because you can't get visibility into what's happening on your network with consumer networking equipment.

If you have a lot of networking equipment it could be ip related.
It's best to have one router and DHCP server.
If you have a bunch of extra routers configured wrong then you might have some ip conflicts or gateway issues.
If you...
If it's using the internet in an unexpected way it's going to require specific packet inspecting and monitoring tools to see what it's doing.
You can factory reset it and see if the issues go away. Then reload apps and make sure it doesn't come back after loading apps in.
Try running the free version of bitdefender on it first.

There are a variety of things it could be. It takes a lot of trial/error because you can't get visibility into what's happening on your network with consumer networking equipment.

If you have a lot of networking equipment it could be ip related.
It's best to have one router and DHCP server.
If you have a bunch of extra routers configured wrong then you might have some ip conflicts or gateway issues.
If you don't have a router you may be running out of ip addreses or even with a router it's possible with a bad config.

Solution

inzane4all

Upstanding
Jun 20, 2018
There's some info missing here:

What type of router do you have? I have seen this behavior before when an iPad would be downloading the newest version of an OS, in which it would take up the majority of the bandwidth, but this was a few years back, when 150 Mbps would be the highest speed. You might want to check and see if it's updating.

Aside from that, perform the factory reset, although if it is the iPad taking up the internet speed, then it will happen again during the iOS image download.

When this was happening to me, I applied a simple solution: Bought a new router and that fixed my problem.