iPad Mini Could Hurt PC Market, Predicts Analyst

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiryu

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
[citation][nom]VF-19[/nom]Analyst wrong, predicts me[/citation]
Not really, they will (claim to) be "right" just because PC sale may decline or at least the growth become slower and they just take the credit to say ipad mini has stolen the sale from PC.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
If all you need to do to become an analyst is make up some bullshit about something and claim it's an accurate prediction, then everybody here commenting at Tom's is officially an "analyst".

kryzzay

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
I just can't see the benefit of an iPad mini...... If you've already got a smart phone, then you probably won't be interested. There goes x% of your market...... Time will tell if the sheep buy.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I'm thinking the majority of users of the mini will either be those who already own and iPhone 5 and a ipad2, or those who are upgrading from their iPod touches.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
I don't think the PC is on a decline at all. It is more that these buggers have become so fast and reliable that there is less reason to replace them as often; hardcore gamers are obviously excluded.
I mean the average office worker on a PC with Word, Excel and e-mail can do nothing to make the i3 or i5 CPU inside break a sweat.

Incidentally, how does Intel get away with the i3/i5/i7 naming. Does Apple not have the universal rights to anything 'i' ?

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
[citation][nom]kryzzay[/nom]I just can't see the benefit of an iPad mini...... If you've already got a smart phone, then you probably won't be interested. There goes x% of your market...... Time will tell if the sheep buy.[/citation]
Yeah I know, screw Apple fanboys and iSheeps. My Galaxy S III is for some reason 100000x better than an iPhone because only sheeps buy stupid useless iPhone upgrades like iPhone 4 to 4S. Please, a real upgrade is a Galaxy S II to an S III. Stupid fanboys.
/sarcasm

IQ11110002

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
If you are replacing your phone or tablet 2 or 3 times like article says you are probably a tech junkie and into all the latest tech/gadgets, I seriously doubt you would be keeping your pc for 4-7 years if you are into tech, You would be building or buying a new pc every 1-2 years or even sooner like myself!
Would hate to think how bad syncing a phone or tablet is on an outdated 7 year old pc and windows, Would it(pc) even detect that new device plugged into USB port. lol Does it even have a USB port o_O
I am taking the piss out of article but my point is if you are the type to go out and buy all the latest stuff regularly I am sure a new pc would also be on the list!

diddo

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Every house will be connected by pneumatic tubes distributing microfilms of an entire encyclopedia by the end of the 60s.
Flying cars will replace cars before 1980.
Antimatter will be the sole form of energy used in 2000s, when also interstellar space travels will become common.
And before the end of 2013 tablets will replace PCs, just before time travel will be feasible.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
actually with next gen consoles around teh corner i expect the pc market at least on the high end to boom a bit as gamer's begin to replace their 4-5 year old aging desktops with something more modern.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Article[/nom]"Price-sensitive" consumers will prolong tablet popularity and the iPad Mini will lead the way.[/citation]
This sentense in itself discredits anything that follows. At no point in time after the 80s has an Apple product been the price sensitive choice, or a choice at all if price is of any object.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
"I mean the average office worker on a PC with Word, Excel and e-mail can do nothing to make the i3 or i5 CPU inside break a sweat."

Forget an i series CPU, it took me breaking a VBA macro into eight units run in parallel to even get a single core P4-3.6 to run at >90%!

Status
Not open for further replies.