iPad Mini Gets Teardown; Tablet Similar to iPod Touch

Status
Not open for further replies.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
[citation][nom]kawininjazx[/nom]Gotta love those Apple repair ability scores...[/citation]

But in defense of apple, the last review I saw of the teardown which was for the iphone or itouch the design of it was improved. It incorporated a more simplified design which reduced the number of number of fail points which is a good thing.

The side effect of that was that is that if something failed you had to replace one large entire part instead of having the option of replacing smaller cheaper parts.

And lets be honest here this is a device meant to be used and not meant to be self repaired as there is no standard for parts for these types of things. So the primary goal is to build it cheaply and reliably. I seriously doubt any company spends times to make things harder to repair because it will mean it takes longer to manufacture and repair themselves.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]kawininjazx[/nom]Gotta love those Apple repair ability scores...[/citation]
who cares....if it breaks use your warranty or just get a new one....why complain if you can't do something about it.

gamingboy

Honorable
May 5, 2012
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]who cares....if it breaks use your warranty or just get a new one....why complain if you can't do something about it.[/citation]

That's the thing.. They want the device to break after the warranty expires. And if you can't repair it or if it's simply too troublesome, you'll end up buying a new one. And you know how Apple loves to sell us their overpriced devices, that's where they gain their huge profits from.

[citation][nom]assasin32[/nom]But in defense of apple, the last review I saw of the teardown which was for the iphone or itouch the design of it was improved. It incorporated a more simplified design which reduced the number of number of fail points which is a good thing.The side effect of that was that is that if something failed you had to replace one large entire part instead of having the option of replacing smaller cheaper parts.And lets be honest here this is a device meant to be used and not meant to be self repaired as there is no standard for parts for these types of things. So the primary goal is to build it cheaply and reliably. I seriously doubt any company spends times to make things harder to repair because it will mean it takes longer to manufacture and repair themselves.[/citation]

fail points are a tricky thing. Netbooks (crap as they are) have a TON of failure points... but because each individual part is cheap and relatively easy to get to, they are nice to work on. With apple products there are less points of failure due to the integration of parts... which means that when your wireless card, or a ram module dies, then you are replacing the entire board which includes the CPU, ram, wireless, graphics, audio, and motherboard, which is expensive. that is fine IF you happen to have a product that is rock-solid. But when it is not a solid device (last gen G5 towers, 1st gen intel Macbooks and Macbook pro, 3rd gen intel macbook pro, and various ipod devices) then you end up with a ton of failures where the only real option is to replace the entire device.

G

I don't see why people complain about Apple devices and their ability to be repaired. I can't remember the last time I bought anything that was the least bit repairable. (INC flood of people with products that had specific repairable components).

The only reason iFixit exists in the first place is due to Apple products. I don't really see iFixit attempting to breakdown any sort of competing products on a regular basis. Who really cares anyway? Don't buy it if you don't like it (that goes for anything).

LightningStryk17

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006

Apple has made it hard to repair there products since the dawn of time

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]who cares....if it breaks use your warranty or just get a new one....why complain if you can't do something about it.[/citation]

Because lots of people buy these used because they want an Apple product. I volunteer to fix electronics for friends and people I know (laptops, phones, etc) because they break out of warranty or the cost of replacement under warranty is prohibitive (specially for Apple stuff). Most of these devices are expensive to replace and I can usually fix most things on the cheap. However I will absolutely REFUSE to work on anymore Apple products because they are a PITA to fix and are not worth the effort I have to go through to replace a moronic part like a battery. On the other hand I'll happily work on other stuff.

tramit

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Aren't most phones and small electronics in general a PITA to repair? I've never bought a phone and thought, geeze I wonder if I can fix it easily? The most issue people will have with their phone's now a days is probably just a cracked screen. It is never really easy to fix any of them, tedious work is always involved with electronics giving the limited size they must cram all their hardware in.

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
[citation][nom]gamingboy[/nom]Apple loves to sell us their overpriced devices, that's where they gain their huge profits from.[/citation]
They could choose to sell their OS which would help increase their market share of their OS to a very high amount, or get the same profit through selling more expensive hardware while sacrificing market share, this is what happened to Mac OS X of course. Mac OS X sold on discs could easily sell at the price of Windows, and potentially own 45% of the OS market, but they'd get less profit by selling iMacs at their price and owning barely 8% of the market. The iPhone and iPad was well executed by Apple, and it was their only product that they could distribute OS exclusively that sold well with Apple themselves charging with the hardware, they didn't monopolize the cell phone and tablet industry so the governments didn't care too much, and by using patents, tried to ensure that they do not lose their position.

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
They want to rip you off when your device inevitably fails a month after warranty expires and you want to repair

Status
Not open for further replies.