iPad Mini May Have Sold 2 to 2.5 Million Units First Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

mas

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2004
This article misses the point just as Apple has really missed the boat.

The iPad mini should have been a converged tablet/iphone (like the Note2) - and if they really wanted to define the category, they would implement secure remote terminal access (eg ssh) tightly integrated at the OS level rather than as an add-on notoriously unstable 3rd party app - allowing secure remote access and 'real' app access on personal or business computers with the ability to push pull data down as needed, thus allowing us to leave the laptop at home and eliminating the security exposure of lugging around a laptop.

The result: a TRULY converged device that would allow phone, browsing & access to real apps and data as needed in a single secure package. The irony: it requires no new technology nor engineering - they simply implement that which has been around for more than a decade. All it takes is a a few moments to think of how the various duplicitous devices now offered are used. And that being the case, I anticipate such an advancement to take another 10-20 years...

As it stands, we simply have a slightly smaller under-powered over-priced device that still requires that we carry a cell phone and a laptop.

deftonian

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Apple played that one well... put out a statement of lower sales expectations so that when it breaches the mark it gains notoriety from users as "this must be good since it sold more than expected!"

sly foxes O_O

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Continuing on Jimmy Kimmel's idea: Anyone that pays $329 for an ipad mini instead of $200 for an 7" android device should be punched in the throat.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]Still amazing how iHaters are quick to post on Apple related articles...lol. Good to see they care enough to post.[/citation]

Amen!

Sent from my Nexus 7

weierstrass

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
To those Apple haters: if you want to know the time you buy a watch for 10$, if you want something shiny you may spend 50000$ on a Rolex. Now 130$ extra for some iDevice might be much for some people but for those who earn it in a couple hours or less the hole point of comparing the devices vanishes and get reduced to Apple or not Apple; and there are enough such people out there. But I agree that there are also a lot of idiots out there, who should have actually saved the 130$. Just saying the the price is not everything, who has not spend some extra bucks on brand-name clothing for example?

izmanq

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
so now it's prediction, i thought the headline previously, mini ipad is sold 1.5 million :p even i don't believe that number, and now they said they're going to sell 2.5 million ? :p yeah sure

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
So they only sold 40% as many of heir crappy iPad minis than MS sold their Surface tablets in about the same timeframe? Hmmm.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]weierstrass[/nom] who has not spend some extra bucks on brand-name clothing for example?[/citation]

I never have, I'm not a drone like you are.

If you care so much for "social status" that you will spend 10 - 1000x more on a product with no difference in quality you have serious issues.

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012

I know I haven't..
I like to do some research before even looking into buying things. And clothes, clothes are just freaking clothes. I mean really.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]Cons29[/nom]if these are really tough times, why would people buy a higher priced tablet? wow just wowjust dont buy a tablet now, get one later when things are better right?[/citation]
Its apple though. Their resale prices remain very high for ever. Hell, you still can't get a good condition iPad 1 for even close to what a new model Fire or Nexus tablet cost new.

G

Now Apple is said, In businessweek, to be developing a replacement for Intel x86 processors in their laptops, Maybe ARM 64 based, Just think an Apple Laptop with ARM. or maybe PPC, as one of the companys, that Apple bought, had a good Power PC dual core! Apple going non-Intel would be a good thing for the serious gamers, as this would force Chipzella to lower its prices! Hell, all Apple computers have thunderbolt ports, so even it they built an ARM 64 based laptop, users could just get a thunderbolt expansion box and plug in any external PCI device, lake an extra processor or GPU, if they needed to do heavy graphics! Let's Hope AMD does good with their ARM based products too, AMD is doing great things through The HSA foundation towards computing system that can run ARM, x86, and GPUs, all in the same system at the same time, no worries about having the operating system recompiled for a specific CPU or GPU! Let us all work to get Intel Outside!

Status
Not open for further replies.