iPad Mini's $329 Price May Hurt Windows 8 Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

friskiest

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
MS isn't aiming for a blockbuster sale with the Surface RT,. its supposed to show what MS has to offer in the tablet/ultramobile market,. with that I believe they succeeded,.

Sterne Agee put a lot of stock into AAPL, as expected, so their "analysts" will obviously do anything and everything to keep the value high, including making erroneous reports like this one.
A toy like iPmini can not be a direct competitor to Surface tablets. It's like comparing cars and semi trucks. They serve different markets and different needs. People will buy Surface for productivity and toy tablets for playing.

G

Google's Nexus 7 $249 Price May Hurt Apple's iPad mini Device

izmanq

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
what high quality and reasonable price ? :| screen res 1024x600, and 512 mb ram, dual corea 1 GHz proc, for that specs they want you to pay 329 USD, high quality and reasonable my ass, not to mention that stupid map app. people buy this only for the stupid logo, so they can flash it around :p

deftonian

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
He referred to Microsoft's $599 Surface RT tablet that is "arguably overpriced."

LMAO, are you kidding me? Then what does he have to say about The new iPad? or even iPad 2 for that matter??

This just goes to show you that the guy is a paid advertiser for apple. Look at the source of this article.

fat_panda

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
I still think Apple got it wrong in the pricing of iPad Mini, it's $130 more expensive than the Nexus 7!! But the world won't care and buy it anyways.

tacobravo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
So he just compared a basic ipad mini to the surface with the cover on it. He should of compared it to the $499.99 one and mention that the ipad min does not come with Microsoft Home and Student 2013 Preview. Makes the ipad mini look like crap plus with the 16 GB Nexus 7 at $199.99...

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
There was too much positive Windows 8 / Surface news lately so Zak needed to post this ASAP. Can't have shares in Apple dropping again.

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
The surface is overpriced if compared to Nexus 7 not iPad mini. The 7.9" iPad mini 32GB + smart cover goes for $468 while the 11" surface with cover/KEYBOARD is $599, IMO both are equally overpriced. If this was the price for surface pro however, it would be very reasonable.

G

I would agree that the surface is over priced at $599. That's probably why it actually costs $499

sarcasm

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Apple just has to price it at $329 to maximize profits. Never ever give anything to the consumer right off the bat. Would $299 really have hurt them that bad?

zubikov

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Played with MS surface tablets this week, they feel clunky and 3 years behind the competition. Very unintuitive interface, lack of multitouch gestures and crappy maps. That's what $499 gets you. Everyone in the store was just as irritated with the interface and spent more time trying to figure out how to do anything on the tablet and commenting on its imperfections. Meanwhile, everyone already knows how to use an iPad mini, they feel light and smooth to the touch. Apple maps may be crap compared to Google Maps on the Nexus 7, but it's eons ahead of Microsoft.

I don't think iPad mini is Surface's biggest threat, it's Microsoft's inability to do anything right. Microsoft said they'll sell nearly 10 million of these next year. They'll be lucky with 5, and it will be sad to watch them throw away $1.5 billion in marketing costs to achieve 2-3 billion in sales.

Just ask your friends and family, who's in a rush to get the surface tablet for x-mas this holiday season. You see any high school kids envying their classmates with a surface? Anyone on facebook even mentioning it (besides sponsored storied)? You walk into a starbucks, library or a classroom, anyone using a surface yet? How about the commuter train or bus? It's been a week, I haven't seen a single one. It's a hackjob wannabe product that's three years too late to the market.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
iPad Mini is not overpriced when compared to Surface.
1024x768 on an 8" screen vs 1366x768 on a 10" screen.
A5 vs Tegra 3.
Best (well, largest) app store vs Office.
$330 vs $500

Now compare each to Nexus 7 and they both look like highway robbery.

grantman1100

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
[citation][nom]iknowhowtofixit[/nom]I'd bet someone an iPad Mini that Zak Islam is going to write a Pro Apple article for his next piece![/citation]
sorry it was an article about how w8 doesn't have a notification system other than their live tiles

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
What a retard!

This guy is comparing the ipad mini to a PC. You can purchase a PC (i3 processor,500GB hard drive, DVD burner, 4gigs or ram) for about $400. Add a cheap or used monitor for about $100. This slightly larger ipod can't be compared to anything but an ipod. It has lower specs than virtually everything on the market. Some guys will say anything for a dollar. BTW, send me a check for $5000 and I will retract everything that I have said and praise the ipad mini or the ipod maxi. For $5000 I may only be able to stomach such blasphemy for about a month.

I guess he thinks that someone going in to buy a PC might be walking out with a ipod maxi. Wow! We should hire that salesperson that can pull that off.

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Sick of "analysts" making predictions and assumptions and all around spreading misinformation. These people clearly own Apple stock and are part of the iHerd themselves. Their own opinion is on par with the opinion you'd get from the iSheep hipster holding an iPad at a starbucks

G

it hurting windows 8 devices is probably the primary reason apple decided to make it and at the price point

Status
Not open for further replies.