iPad Pro Arrives November 11, Will Start At $799

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Oh, I love the idea of the device. My issue with it is that it has iOS and not OSX. It's not a productivity device, it's a consumption device. If it were OSX, I'd buy nothing but these for work.

soccerplayer88

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Pro!? What is this, a Microsoft product? Jokes aside...

It's basically a large iPod (unless you can make calls then it's a super large iPhone).

Until they can step up to OSX in the tablet market Microsoft will be laughing all the way to the bank, so I'm not really sure who they are targeting.

expunged

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2015
I'm not really sure who they are targeting.
Same people they always target, those that automatically think if it costs more it must be better. Double the price for half the performance. These morons thought Steve Jobs was great, no he just had a couple of good ideas that made him billions off the backs of Chinese child labor.

Actually Steve Jobs was a highly intelligent business man and idealist who came up with products that would appeal to the typical consumer rather than the tech-savvy. He's one of the smartest men I know, and his money and company can support that statement.

Skypine27

Reputable
Oct 2, 2014

Actually Steve Jobs was a highly intelligent business man and idealist who came up with products that would appeal to the typical consumer rather than the tech-savvy. He's one of the smartest men I know, and his money and company can support that statement.

He's dead.

apone

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
Why does ultra high performance suddenly matter? It's still a tablet and as such will be used for the usual email checking, social media, music, web browsing, Skype, etc. which can easily be handled by the the iPad’s previous generation A8/A9 chips. Also funny how Apple users always clown Windows/Android users because they apparently preach hardware specifications (e.g. faster chip, bigger screen, etc.) but it’s okay when Apple does it?

g-unit1111

Titan

You are aware that Apple is not the only company that uses Foxconn to build their products right? Just about every piece of computer hardware you own comes out of Foxconn. And that includes cell phones (both HTC and Samsung use Foxconn), tablets, motherboards, flat screen TVs, game consoles, laptops, I could go on and on.

toadhammer

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012
Why does ultra high performance suddenly matter? It's still a tablet and as such will be used for the usual email checking, social media, music, web browsing, Skype, etc. which can easily be handled by the the iPad’s previous generation A8/A9 chips. Also funny how Apple users always clown Windows/Android users because they apparently preach hardware specifications (e.g. faster chip, bigger screen, etc.) but it’s okay when Apple does it?
The faster the cpu can get something done, the sooner it can go back to idle and consuming less battery. This is exactly the same as Tom's System Builder efficiency analysis.

toadhammer

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012
Until they can step up to OSX in the tablet market Microsoft will be laughing all the way to the bank, so I'm not really sure who they are targeting.
I don't know that your OSX vs Microsoft comparison is apt. Windows RT is not the same as Windows desktop, however similar it seems. OSX vs IOS is much the same thing.

Targets...there are a lot of professionals that need some sort of lightweight (both physical and capability) device, with a keyboard. Think doctor carting a laptop around for rounds or office appointments. Doesn't really need a whole laptop, just something he can type a few notes on. Can they just use a cheap chromebook? Maybe, but now you're not talking consumer, you're talking someone who wants (someone else) to set things up so they can do the same stuff on their desktop or their portable. So, enterprise/SOHO goes to microsoft or apple vs android or linux.

That's with keyboard. With a pen device...apple has dominated the graphics arts space since their beginning. Many designers would add an apple pro tablet into their existing mix of apple PCs without hesitation.

apone

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
The faster the cpu can get something done, the sooner it can go back to idle and consuming less battery. This is exactly the same as Tom's System Builder efficiency analysis.

And exactly how much faster does the CPU/GPU really have to be to get something done like checking email or web browsing (for the sake of extending battery life)? Sounds like overkill as you're saying you need a super ultra high performance CPU/GPU to run the simplest of tasks. You're most likely not going to render Photoshop images or play Crysis 3 on an iPad so it seems that considerable performance boost is negligible for what iPads are used for. This sounds like the gigahertz race from the late 90's/early 2000's between Intel and AMD.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
I don't know that your OSX vs Microsoft comparison is apt. Windows RT is not the same as Windows desktop, however similar it seems. OSX vs IOS is much the same thing.
Windows RT is dead and this thing is meant to compete with the Surface Pro 4 considering the size, the attachable keyboard, the stylus yet the Surface is similar in price and runs a true OS capable of running any program that runs on Windows and has a full power CPU with more RAM. Anyone who wants something like this and isn't a huge Apple fan would take the Surface just because it is much more capable and useful, you just can't compare iOS to Windows 10 Pro.

Yes I know that. I'm not a recluse. I never said he wasn't.

toadhammer

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012

Well, I lump Win10 on ARM devices into the same boat as Win 8 RT. But you are correct - a surface pro runs the full OS, and may be a game changer because of that.

Microsoft is the joke, they were the 1st to do a tablet and it was a failure. No one had a successful tablet until Apple did the iPad and then everyone rushed to copy it. Phones were getting smaller and smaller until Apple released the iPhone and everyone rushed to copy it. MS has yet to make a dent in the mobile phone market. Even their Windows O/S was just a copy of the MAC O/S look and feel. How many versions of the iPhones have you seen people lining up for? how MS products have you seen people lining up for? MS probably makes more money on their trolling Android then selling their own O/S.

Status
Not open for further replies.