Ipaq 3975 and Growell CF 2031

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

I own a three year Compaq Ipaq 3975 that in most aspects I am happy with. It
is a 400mhz 128k PDA with SD and Compact Flash adapters. The later is
provided via a mem plug jacket. My PDA is upgraded to to Windows-PPC 2003
(1st Edition).

For wireless data, I own Growell CF2031 (using Sprint's 1xRTT network) which
I want to swap between my Ipaq and notebook. After upgrading my PPC to 2003,
the wireless card has made my system unstable. My PPC normally works
perfectly, but once the card is inserted, my PDA becomes unstable, reboots,
and wipes my data.

24 hours ago, I download the patch from http://www.growellusa.com (for
upgraded PPCs) which I thought would be the cure for my problem. Less than
24 hours later, my system rebooted and my data was lost.

Does anyone have any experience with my setup? Any suggestions?

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

I have used my cf2031 with many different ipaqs but I've never ran into the
issue you are describing. Just out of couriosity are you using the supplied
battery with the cf2031 on the ipaq? The only thing that I can think of is
the card is drawing enough current to deplete the ram of the power it needs
to hold it's content.

rights...

"Stuart Friedman" <stu@nospam.na> wrote in message
>I own a three year Compaq Ipaq 3975 that in most aspects I am happy with.
>It is a 400mhz 128k PDA with SD and Compact Flash adapters. The later is
>provided via a mem plug jacket. My PDA is upgraded to to Windows-PPC 2003
>(1st Edition).
>
> For wireless data, I own Growell CF2031 (using Sprint's 1xRTT network)
> which I want to swap between my Ipaq and notebook. After upgrading my PPC
> to 2003, the wireless card has made my system unstable. My PPC normally
> works perfectly, but once the card is inserted, my PDA becomes unstable,
> reboots, and wipes my data.
>
> 24 hours ago, I download the patch from http://www.growellusa.com (for
> upgraded PPCs) which I thought would be the cure for my problem. Less than
> 24 hours later, my system rebooted and my data was lost.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with my setup? Any suggestions?

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

No. I haven't been using the battery and thought about that issue last
night. I'll give it a try. If it works, I'm looking at the new smaller
battery that Growell offers for the card. On the other hand, with EVDO
around the corner, maybe I should hold off on new accessories.

Stu

"Eric Hicks [MVP]" <i'm@home.with.u> wrote in message
>I have used my cf2031 with many different ipaqs but I've never ran into the
>issue you are describing. Just out of couriosity are you using the
>supplied battery with the cf2031 on the ipaq? The only thing that I can
>think of is the card is drawing enough current to deplete the ram of the
>power it needs to hold it's content.

> Eric Hicks [That_Kid] (MS-MVP Mobile Devices)

> rights...
>
> "Stuart Friedman" <stu@nospam.na> wrote in message
>>I own a three year Compaq Ipaq 3975 that in most aspects I am happy with.
>>It is a 400mhz 128k PDA with SD and Compact Flash adapters. The later is
>>provided via a mem plug jacket. My PDA is upgraded to to Windows-PPC 2003
>>(1st Edition).
>>
>> For wireless data, I own Growell CF2031 (using Sprint's 1xRTT network)
>> which I want to swap between my Ipaq and notebook. After upgrading my PPC
>> to 2003, the wireless card has made my system unstable. My PPC normally
>> works perfectly, but once the card is inserted, my PDA becomes unstable,
>> reboots, and wipes my data.
>>
>> 24 hours ago, I download the patch from http://www.growellusa.com (for
>> upgraded PPCs) which I thought would be the cure for my problem. Less
>> than 24 hours later, my system rebooted and my data was lost.
>>
>> Does anyone have any experience with my setup? Any suggestions?

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

The smaller battery isn't bad at all, it has a much better fit than the
standard battery. I'm not sure how long you can go without data, evdo is on
it's way for sprint but it'll be a slow process. Have you thought about
getting either the ppc 6601 or 6600? Both are EvDO ready so when the
netwrok is ready you'll have a device that can support it.

> No. I haven't been using the battery and thought about that issue last
> night. I'll give it a try. If it works, I'm looking at the new smaller
> battery that Growell offers for the card. On the other hand, with EVDO
> around the corner, maybe I should hold off on new accessories.
>
> Stu
>
> "Eric Hicks [MVP]" <i'm@home.with.u> wrote in message
>>I have used my cf2031 with many different ipaqs but I've never ran into
>>the issue you are describing. Just out of couriosity are you using the
>>supplied battery with the cf2031 on the ipaq? The only thing that I can
>>think of is the card is drawing enough current to deplete the ram of the
>>power it needs to hold it's content.
>>
>> --
>> --
>> Eric Hicks [That_Kid] (MS-MVP Mobile Devices)

>> rights...
>>
>> "Stuart Friedman" <stu@nospam.na> wrote in message
>>>I own a three year Compaq Ipaq 3975 that in most aspects I am happy with.
>>>It is a 400mhz 128k PDA with SD and Compact Flash adapters. The later is
>>>provided via a mem plug jacket. My PDA is upgraded to to Windows-PPC 2003
>>>(1st Edition).
>>>
>>> For wireless data, I own Growell CF2031 (using Sprint's 1xRTT network)
>>> which I want to swap between my Ipaq and notebook. After upgrading my
>>> PPC to 2003, the wireless card has made my system unstable. My PPC
>>> normally works perfectly, but once the card is inserted, my PDA becomes
>>> unstable, reboots, and wipes my data.
>>>
>>> 24 hours ago, I download the patch from http://www.growellusa.com (for
>>> upgraded PPCs) which I thought would be the cure for my problem. Less
>>> than 24 hours later, my system rebooted and my data was lost.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any experience with my setup? Any suggestions?

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

Eric Hicks asked me:

"I'm not sure how long you can go without data, evdo is on
it's way for sprint but it'll be a slow process. Have you thought about
getting either the ppc 6601 or 6600? Both are EvDO ready so when the
network is ready you'll have a device that can support it."

My response is as follows:

1. I'm not sure how long I could go without data as well. I spent three
weeks in Africa last year on vacation and only checked my e-mail once a
week. For me that is my life time record. Once you get past the initial
withdrawal sensation, I can manage.

2. Yes, I've thought about the 6601 and 6600. What I like about my current
solution is the fact that can transfer the data card between multiple units.
While it has pretty much gone between my notebook and PDA, my wife has taken
the card on some business trips as well.

My big problem with the 6601 and 6600 is twofold:

(a) I don't see a simple way to use the units as a wireless modem; and,

(b) Sprint has disabled the wi-fi on them.

Wireless Modem. I was told by Sprint that the device could not be used a
wireless modem. After doing a little bit of research, I'm beginning to think
that this is wrong. The Wmodem program seems to permit the device to work as
a modem, but it would have been nice of Sprint permitted a blue tooth
connection to work.

Wifi. On the 6601, I was told that some initial units actually shipped with
working wi-fi, but that they would be downloading a patch to "fix this." I've
made inquiries on this forum about whether there were hacks similar to the
ones for the Treo to reenable this feature.

The disabling of wifi seems to be a bigger issue for me. I live twelve miles
from the Canadian border and Sprint's service ends about three blocks into
Canada. After that, I make due with hotspots. Additionally, I do go to
Europe and Asia several times a year. No wi-fi means no hot spots.
dditionally, I have some desire of using any PDA as a VOIP phone as well. It
would be a great way to cut down on roaming fees. Sprint, obviously,
disagrees with me.

4. I don't see any great incentive to rush out right now. HP has a "Treo
Killer" slated which I'm keeping my eye on. It is supposed to be a PocketPC
made into a form factor similar to the Treo 650.

Here is an interesting review on the device:

http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=2329&review=Sprint+PPC6601

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

Response Inline

> 2. Yes, I've thought about the 6601 and 6600. What I like about my current
> solution is the fact that can transfer the data card between multiple
> units. While it has pretty much gone between my notebook and PDA, my wife
> has taken the card on some business trips as well.
>
> My big problem with the 6601 and 6600 is twofold:
>
> (a) I don't see a simple way to use the units as a wireless modem; and,

The 6600/6601 works great as a modem. There is a modem application on the
unit that allows you to use the device as a Serial/IR or Bluetooth modem.
I've had great success with using my 6600 as a bluetooth modem.

> (b) Sprint has disabled the wi-fi on them.

Sprint hasn't disabled wifi on them, there never was wifi on the CDMA
models. The only models that have wifi are the GSM models. You can always
add wifi capability to them by using a sd wifi card. I've found socket's
wifi card with 256 megs of memory online for less than $100. I'm going to
pick up one but i'm in no rush cause I can use vision. Even when I had my
6315 with built in wifi I never used it unless I was doing voip or some
heavy streaming.

> Wireless Modem. I was told by Sprint that the device could not be used a
> wireless modem. After doing a little bit of research, I'm beginning to
> think that this is wrong. The Wmodem program seems to permit the device to
> work as a modem, but it would have been nice of Sprint permitted a blue
> tooth connection to work.

See reply to (a)

> Wifi. On the 6601, I was told that some initial units actually shipped
> with working wi-fi, but that they would be downloading a patch to "fix
> this." I've made inquiries on this forum about whether there were hacks
> similar to the ones for the Treo to reenable this feature.

See reply to (b)

> The disabling of wifi seems to be a bigger issue for me. I live twelve
> miles from the Canadian border and Sprint's service ends about three
> blocks into Canada. After that, I make due with hotspots. Additionally, I
> do go to Europe and Asia several times a year. No wi-fi means no hot
> spots. dditionally, I have some desire of using any PDA as a VOIP phone as
> well. It would be a great way to cut down on roaming fees. Sprint,
> obviously, disagrees with me.

See reply to (b)

> 4. I don't see any great incentive to rush out right now. HP has a "Treo
> Killer" slated which I'm keeping my eye on. It is supposed to be a
> PocketPC made into a form factor similar to the Treo 650.

Only problem is HP's device is GSM not CDMA so don't expect to see it
available for Sprint. I have seen reports of a Toshiba's new device for
CDMA.

rights...