ipconfig /renew won't work

malessandro

Commendable
Sep 18, 2016
Hello Everyone,

I put together a tiny batch file which used to work on my previous PC but doesn't work with the new rig.

The script:

XML:
@echo off
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /renew

The PC:

Motherboard: MSI X99A Godlike Gaming Carbon
LAN (On-Board): 2 x Killer E2400 Gigabit LAN controller
Wireless Lan: Killer Wireless -n/a/ac 1535 module
Driver Version: 12.0.0.210 (Qualcom Atheros Communications)
Router: FRITZ!Box 3490 with FRITZ!OS: 06.51
Power Supply: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11

I am using Wlan to connect to my router. But the ipconfig commands do not work neither in the batch file or command prompt. Also not in administrator mode.

Im not sure if it has something to do with a tunnel adapter which is new on the PC. Under ipconfig it is listed as isatap.fritz.box. And a Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface is giving me an IPv6 Adress which I didn't have on the previous computer.

I'd love to use my script to renew my PC's IP instantly. Is there a way to do so or to achieve the same result in a different way?

Have a great time,
malessandro

Could I just ask why you want or need a script to renew your IP address as your router will just hand you the same one back?? Your IP address will be bound to your MAC address within the router, if you left it disconnected for a few days you may get a different IP.

malessandro

Commendable
Sep 18, 2016
I ran accross this topic when I discussed internet security and the Tor Project and similar options with friends. The local computer IP can be read online as well. Like this demo suggests: https://diafygi.github.io/webrtc-ips/

Not changing the local IP as well could mean that you could be tracked by a profile made of the traces your local IP lefts on websites / ad banners etc.

For me it's more like being aware of it and experimenting with it. But for others it could be an issue. And I am not talking about criminals. Even tho in some countries free speech already is a crime :)

I found a handy and free (for non commercial) tool which does the job: NetSetMan.

I am by no means blessed with skills on this topic and I think there are better ways out there.

But my point remains, what difference do you think it makes if your internal IP is traced / tracked?