IPCop -> Switch -> 2 Wireless Routers

Matthew_Mani

Prominent
May 12, 2017
Hello All,

Hardware
I have IPCOP setup (green + red)
- Red connecting to the internet with no issues via a static IP provided by my ISP
- Green interface (192.168.0.1) using DHCP on the range of 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.254 all with subnet 255.255.255.0
- 1 x Switch (8 port)
- 2 x TD-W8960N Version 7 (TP-LINK 300mb Adsl Routers)
- One of the TD-W8960N routers (Router A) I have given the IP address 192.168.2.1 with DHCP and NAT off, for IPv4 and IPv6
- The other TD-W8960N router (Router B) I have given the IP address 192.168.2.2 with DHCP and NAT off, for IPv4 and IPv6

Setup
I have a switch connected on the green interface, and any device plugging into the switch via an ethernet cable works 100%. The DHCP from the IP cop correctly assigns the IP from the available pool between the 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.254 range, and can access the internet

Goal
I would like to attach both wireless routers to the switch, one for my pc room the other for the cottage on my property, and have the IPCOP DHCP handle the assignments.

Problems
If I plug either one of the routers A or B on the switch (NOT BOTH) the setup works with one router connected and any device connecting to the router correctly received an IP address from the DHCP. IF however I plug both router A and B onto the switch then any device connecting to either of the networks DO NOT receive a valid IP from anywhere I get the std self assigned ip 165......

Testing Setups
- IPCOP Green -> Switch -> Router A (works)
- IPCOP Green -> Switch -> Router B (works)
- IPCOP Green -> Switch to Both -> Router A (does not work) + Router B (does not work)
- IPCOP Green -> Switch -> Router A -> Router B (via lan)
- IPCOP Green -> Switch -> Router A -> Router B (via wan)
- IPCOP Green -> Switch -> Router B -> Router A (via lan)
- IPCOP Green -> Switch -> Router B -> Router A (via wan)

I have tried all permutations of lan to lan / wan to lan / lan to wan.

Where to from here
If anyone could help me with a suggestion of where to go from here that would be greatly appreciated

Matthew_Mani

Prominent
May 12, 2017

Thanks for taking the time to read and post your thoughts, I know that it does not affect any wired device that has already been given an IP by the IPCop DHCP, will test what you suggest when i'm finished at work.

Matthew_Mani

Prominent
May 12, 2017

I just checked what you suggested and YES the wired devices do have an issue on the network when they request an IP, gave my cousin a call to help me debug, when running tcpdump on the IPCop and watching the traffic being received, you can see a broadcast storm hit the network which does not allow any device to request an IP. The minute both routers A & B are on the network and an incoming request for an IP hits the network the broadcast storm occurs. I luckily had 2 other routers I could test the Zyxel VMG1312-B10A and the TP-Link Archer D7, here is where it gets interesting check the results below:

Hardware
- TD-W8960N Version 7 (TP-LINK 300mb Adsl Routers) [Router A]
- TD-W8960N Version 7 (TP-LINK 300mb Adsl Routers) [Router B]
- Zyxel VMG1312-B10A [Router C]
- TP-Link Archer D7 [Router D]

-IPCOP Green -> Switch to Both -> Router A (does not work) + Router C (does work)
-IPCOP Green -> Switch to Both -> Router B (does not work) + Router C (does work)
-IPCOP Green -> Switch to Both -> Router A (does not work) + Router D (does work)
-IPCOP Green -> Switch to Both -> Router B (does not work) + Router D (does work)
-IPCOP Green -> Switch to Both -> Router C (does work) + Router D (does work) - YES PLEASE!

Outcome
Seems there is definitely something on the TD-W8960N that is causing a broadcast storm whenever a packet hits the network. I have the latest firmware so nothing I can change there, currently its version 7. I have gone through the settings on the Router A and Router B, disabling anything that could be an issues IGMP / UnPNP ....etc etc. Even tried alternating them between different modes ADSL / ADSL, ADSL / WAN, WAN / ADSL, WAN / WAN.although this should have 0 impact, was just drawing at straws.