iPhone 2.0: A Businessman's Smartphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirer

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
How is Apple going to deliver all those business niceties without relinquishing it's tight grip on the iPhone?

The reality is that there are mote mature platforms out there, much better suited for business, but again what seems to mater is the "uh-ah" factor. How does Apple intend to suddenly have a mature connectivity and mobility solution with proper end-point control?

And don't even get me started on the BB... I know everyone uses them, that still doesn't mean it's a good solution.

For proper business use you need:
- Full device encryption (to prevent data theft, but slows device down)
- Remote device management (for support/maintenance, with ability to push updates/applications, etc)
- Device access control (PIN, passwords, auto-lock, get's in the was of usability, but a must, really)
- Total ownership of device and management/communication servers

And yes some of these things get in the way of usability, but you must educate your users and reach a good balance between ease of use and security.

guysalmon

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
I was prompted to register and post here, for the first time.

I really don't like this article, because when it is condensed down, all it really says is that Apple is targeting the business user. That is all it says.

It makes no mention of the functions and features that would give the actual phone an advantage over say the Blackberry.

For instance does the writer really think that a "touch" interface is friendly to the business user ?
Are you sure that the "jog" dial is not better ?
Why should they swap from RIM ?
Which Blackberry would you compare the iPhone too ?
Any mention of the Android phones coming out ?

I really think this is good topic, but there is no real depth to the article. Can you please do some more work on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.