iPhone 5 Gets Priced for the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

getting a phone on contract does not make it cheaper, the remainder of the price is just included in the monthly fee that ur stuck with for years, meaning you will eventually still be paying for an outdated phone which you could have otherwise sold earlier to get some of the money back before it loses most its value. yaaay for marketing and clueless consumers.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
"Everything Everywhere, parent company of T-Mobile"

The parent company of T-Mobile is Germany's "Deutsche Telekom" (100%)

"Everything Everywhere" is owned by Deutsche Telekom and France Télécom (50/50)

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Not that I care, but what happens at the end of the contract; will they 'unlock' your phone are are you still stuck with the same carrier ?

[citation][nom]article[/nom]Obviously, this is the price for the unlocked phone and you could get it much cheaper if you're willing to enter into a contract with a carrier.[/citation]

It's not cheaper, it's a lot more expensive. You simply pay less up front and far more over the contract's duration.

busuan

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
The "I sell a product cheaper than he" game is too old and imo becomes false in the information era. The real game should have been (and actually has been for the past 5 yrs) "my product has more features for the same price than his". Indeed, $199 is much much more expensive than $99, and $849 is astronomical. However, none of us would hesitate to pay $15,000 for a good brand new car and never thinks for a second that $15,000 is 75x more expensive than the new phone. The key here is budget boundary awareness. For every family, there is the phone budget and the car budget. As long as the phone price does not cross the boundary of its conceived budget and the phone does provide more new features, people will happily pay for it, even $849 occasionally. And clearly, few would pay $9,000 for a phone because that has crossed the budget boundary.
I would prefer Apple, Samsung and all others fix their prices of new phones at $200-$500 and compete for costumers with more and better features. And I am glad that seems to be the trend.

the1kingbob

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
I think the cheaper comments are true for tmobile( I do not know the others listed), but not true for sprint, at&t, and verizon. Last I checked they don't give a discount for buying a phone outright or charge more for a discounted phone. You pay the same if you sign the contract or not. So, yes cheaper on tmobile if you plan on using it until it dies no if your company doesn't charge different rates.

[citation][nom]the1kingbob[/nom]I think the cheaper comments are true for tmobile( I do not know the others listed), but not true for sprint, at&t, and verizon. Last I checked they don't give a discount for buying a phone outright or charge more for a discounted phone. You pay the same if you sign the contract or not. So, yes cheaper on tmobile if you plan on using it until it dies no if your company doesn't charge different rates.[/citation]

So you buy the phone yourself from somewhere else (places such as Best Buy often have phones for 20-50% less than buying directly from a carrier's store, just ignore what the employees say about almost everything) and then go to a carrier to get the service.

the1kingbob

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]So you buy the phone yourself from somewhere else (places such as Best Buy often have phones for 20-50% less than buying directly from a carrier's store, just ignore what the employees say about almost everything) and then go to a carrier to get the service.[/citation]

I bought my phone from bestbuy and had them activate it. I still signed a contract with sprint in the process. I got the phone discounted because I signed a contract not because I went to bestbuy, I could have done the same a sprint store. So it really didn't matter either way where I bought it.

I pay 100 bucks a month for two phones with unlimited internet. So, $100 for phones + contract = $100/month..... My other option was, $600 for phones w/no contract = $100/month. Sprint doesn't charge different amounts. They do however, charge for termination.

[citation][nom]the1kingbob[/nom]I bought my phone from bestbuy and had them activate it. I still signed a contract with sprint in the process. I got the phone discounted because I signed a contract not because I went to bestbuy, I could have done the same a sprint store. So it really didn't matter either way where I bought it. I pay 100 bucks a month for two phones with unlimited internet. So, $100 for phones + contract = $100/month..... My other option was, $600 for phones w/no contract = $100/month. Sprint doesn't charge different amounts. They do however, charge for termination.[/citation]

I didn't say anything about a discount. Best Buy sells the phones cheaper than the carrier stores sell them for. If I buy a phone from best buy, Newegg, or another such store instead of buying it from a carrier (not counting any contract plan, just outright buying it and then getting service for it) is cheaper. For example, Sprint wanted me to pay something like $250 for a phone (low end Android, buying it outright without contract) and I got the same phone for under $150 at best buy and then brought it to sprint to get service for it.

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Specswise, ... 4G LTE, ...

Well, not in the UK or most of Europe for that matter. Only the Benelux countries currently offer 4G LTE on any LTE bands the iphone 5 supports. Some other countries will follow eventually but they are a minority as most European countries have reserved LTE band 7 for 4G LTE which the iphone 5 does not support.

In fact all the major countries in Europe except Germany will not have 4G LTE on any LTE band the iphone 5 supports. Ever. So Europeans looking for 4G LTE will either have to turn to one of Apple rivals, or hope the iphone 5 gets more complete 4G LTE support next year when the iphone 5S will be released (perhaps).

Hspito

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]It's not cheaper, it's a lot more expensive. You simply pay less up front and far more over the contract's duration.[/citation]

How does the monthly subscription cost of a smartphone in a 2 year contract compare to the subscription cost of a smartphone without contract?

Here in US let say in AT&T it cost exactly the same. So it makes more sense to buy whatever smartphone with a 2 year contract since there is no difference in the monthly cost.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]hspito[/nom]How does the monthly subscription cost of a smartphone in a 2 year contract compare to the subscription cost of a smartphone without contract? Here in US let say in AT&T it cost exactly the same. So it makes more sense to buy whatever smartphone with a 2 year contract since there is no difference in the monthly cost.[/citation]

Only if they unlock it at the end of the contract!

[citation][nom]hspito[/nom]How does the monthly subscription cost of a smartphone in a 2 year contract compare to the subscription cost of a smartphone without contract? Here in US let say in AT&T it cost exactly the same. So it makes more sense to buy whatever smartphone with a 2 year contract since there is no difference in the monthly cost.[/citation]

At least from what I've seen, the contracts are more expensive over that two year period than buying the phone up-front, so it's usually a moot point.

Hspito

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Only if they unlock it at the end of the contract![/citation]

in AT&T if i buy a smartphone lets say ill pay $200 + $90 a month for 2 years that is a total of $2,360
if i buy it without a contract ill pay $500 + $90 a month no contract but in a period of 2 years that is $2660
the service cost the same regardless the status of the phone. if you stay for 2 years in the same company you end up paying more when you don't sign for a contract.

G

Notice how North American carriers announce carrier pricing, same as UK announcing carrier pricing but the whole thing is fixed on subsidizing/full price instead of a more objective pricing from Apple's MSRP? And how North American business price-fixed on this?

Subsidizing always end up shorter end of stick since I am using unsubsidized regional carrier and its rate is 1/2 the price double the feature ($30 per month, unlimited everything including data, versus $60 quota'd plan where $20 or more is considered installment pay), half way through this subsidized phone is "so yesteryear" anyway, it is still good in a technical sense but it is ho-hum already.

Hspito

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
[citation][nom]asdfenterprises[/nom]Notice how North American carriers announce carrier pricing, same as UK announcing carrier pricing but the whole thing is fixed on subsidizing/full price instead of a more objective pricing from Apple's MSRP? And how North American business price-fixed on this?Subsidizing always end up shorter end of stick since I am using unsubsidized regional carrier and its rate is 1/2 the price double the feature ($30 per month, unlimited everything including data, versus $60 quota'd plan where $20 or more is considered installment pay), half way through this subsidized phone is "so yesteryear" anyway, it is still good in a technical sense but it is ho-hum already.[/citation]

got it
well in America there are some companies like that and even that they offer unlimited internet, data and texting, their coverage can't be compare to the bigger companies and in average the unlimited internet is very slow compare to the big companies. so its not that you are getting the service cheaper is more like you are getting a cheaper service(less quality-less money)

ie sprint offers unlimited internet for a much cheaper price in but the internet speed is around 1mbps and im getting over 7mbps with AT&T on HSPA+

velosteraptor

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
[citation][nom]hspito[/nom])ie sprint offers unlimited internet for a much cheaper price in but the internet speed is around 1mbps and im getting over 7mbps with AT&T on HSPA+[/citation]

But if you go through straight talk with an at&t locked phone, you pay half the price of an at&t plan for unlimited anything, and it runs right on the at&t network at full speed

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]hspito[/nom]in AT&T if i buy a smartphone lets say ill pay $200 + $90 a month for 2 years that is a total of $2,360if i buy it without a contract ill pay $500 + $90 a month no contract but in a period of 2 years that is $2660the service cost the same regardless the status of the phone. if you stay for 2 years in the same company you end up paying more when you don't sign for a contract.[/citation]

The question is still there. Will it be unlocked after the contract runs out so you could go to another provider that charges less than $90/month for example ?

[citation][nom]boxa786[/nom]The new iPhone 5 so much better than the last iPhone or any other phone. You Apple haters need to check out this video and watch the proof. Thumbs up all you Apple lovers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdI [...] tube_gdata[/citation]

That was hilarious. I'd like to see the same *test* done with some Android phones and Android users to see if there really is a difference between average users of Android and iOS.

Overy1970

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
Hi
If any any one want to just go to AT&T official websites and search their about
how to unlock iPhone and you have to put the version of your iPhone
click on the first result and follow the instruction.
Then you will be able to unlock your iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.