iPhone 5 is Carphone Warehouse's Most Pre-ordered Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtremeways

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
Pocket-Lint reports receiving confirmation from Craphone Warehouse that it has received four times as many pre-orders for the new iPhone than any other handset launch since the company began trading in 1989.

haha

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
If you could +1 an author just for that... :p It's definitely not a surprise about the pre-order figures... or the two-week delay that most customers will probably face.

malice81

Honorable
Aug 13, 2012
I spent hours looking over all the features on Android phones, and I will admit, there are some truly beautiful phones out there. I have been an iPhone user for the last 4 years, in conjunction with my Macbook, and PC tower. I religiously use Chrome, as it's just better, and have no hatred for anything Google. The sad part is, the reason I was looking over so many videos is that I was seriously considering switching to an Android. Seeing people use the OS, it does look great and I do like the larger screens, but I have a couple points, just a couple, that are keeping me in the iPhone Sheep pen, do try and keep in mind I built my own PC and am very much a tech nerd:

#1- The Apps. I have been a user for years, and have built up a decent library of shit I really don't feel like buying all over again. Games and stuff like that, not a big deal, but the bigger ones ( VNC programs, movie editing software, and a ton of other random crap ) are expensive to repurchase.

#2- The build qualities. No matter what Android users wanna spout out, the build quality of the iDevices are just better, it's not rocket science. I have seen some really great ones that seemed to be on a par ( Motorola comes to mind ) but the current phones I really considered being the S3 and One X, just didn't have the feel I want. I thought about buying after market battery covers and / or cases to "change the build", but again, cost. Which leads me to my next point.

#3- The cost of a good Android phone is almost the same as an iPhone. Looking at the devices I considered switching to, it was a wash in the 16GB 2 year deal. One major difference, the RESALE value. I just sold my iPhone 4 on ebay for $330 after using it for 2 years. Chock that up to stupid people if you like, but it's the truth, I sold it for the same price I bought it for.

All in all I really like android, and it's not that I really like iOS more or that I'm used to it, it's just the prohibitive nature of making a switch. Do I wish I could have a removable battery, SD card slot, bigger screen, full customization, google maps, emulators, and ..... oh fuck it I'm getting a stupid Android....

G

iPhone 5 is Carphone Warehouse's Most Pre-ordered Phone
I clearly knew that extremely overprice iphone5 will not be my phone. call me old fusion not to have an iphone 5 showing off while in the cafe all you want. I can't understand why would I have to pay the zenbook price for a iphone4s XL not much different than the first iphone in 2007. I dont need an A6 processor(double speed?) to play angry bird or taking photos. iphone 5 is like the the same wine in a new bigger bottle. go to hell apple.

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
It seems the less Apple puts into their products, the more sales it gets. Case in point: iPad 3 and iPhone 5. iPad 3, just upped the resolution and graphics horsepower to compensate. Grand scheme of things it's the same old iPad; breaks records. iPhone 5: bigger screen, finally has 4G, still behind current tech. Breaks records. I swear, Apple could slap their logo on literal dog-shit and I bet it would break 1 billion pre-orders. It boggles my mind.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]frombehind[/nom]haha! suck it android haters =DNever underestimate the buying power of the tech un-savvy masses![/citation]
Yep, despite the pre-orders and the hype Android handsets are still outselling iPhones, i'm sure the Android crowd are crying themselves to sleep over Apple being outsold 4 to 1, which by definition means the Apple crowd are not the masses but the minority
http://www.macdirectory.com/component/option,com_news/task,viewDetail/news_id,64191/
Apple have underestimated the buying power of the tech-savvy masses

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
[citation][nom]malice81[/nom]#2- The build qualities. No matter what Android users wanna spout out, the build quality of the iDevices are just better, it's not rocket science. I have seen some really great ones that seemed to be on a par ( Motorola comes to mind ) but the current phones I really considered being the S3 and One X, just didn't have the feel I want. I thought about buying after market battery covers and / or cases to "change the build", but again, cost. Which leads me to my next point.[/citation]

Sorry I am going to disagree with you on this one, not because I think Android has superior build quality but more because of the overall design when it comes to durability.

While Apple makes some beautiful ultra high quality premium products the last thing they are is durable. iPhone break on whim if you drop them due to the fragile design. All that glass and metal make the device feel great but they sure cant take a fall (even a relatively minor one). I have witnessed (first and second handed) too many iPhone with shattered screens or backs.

Many Android phone on the other hand, while they may not feel as "ultra premium" as an iPhone can take much more punishment without breaking. My wife has dropped her GSIII on the concrete getting out of her car and it has nothing but a minor scratch on the edge where it hit. I have dropped my original EVO more times than I can count on the ground from my lap, car, standing up and it has not broken or cracked the screen.

That is why I like Android phone designs more than Apple. I am more than willing to sacrifice some "premium feel" for good old durability.

Put it in a case you say? No. That defeats the purpose of having a slim, light, high quality phone to begin with and then your original argument of Apples design and feel is moot to begin with.

sesante2000

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
The funny thing is I work in a hospital, you know the place where highly educated people go to work?
Well, Working in IT i can tell you that i see iPhones out number any android device 5-1 if not more.
But let me guess, they're all idiots? Stupid sheep with no brains?

One more thing, what was that one android device that wasn't made out of cheap plastic?
Or got more than 1 Major OS update?
Or more than 2 geeks waited in line for?
Or has a huge ecosystem of accessories like the iPhone?
Or has more than 1 case after launch?
Or has a good resale value for more than 60 days?

But what do I know? I'm an idiot iPhone user that has been brainwashed to enjoy OS consistency, Good build quality, A actual app store that isn't a flee market like android, and stuff to buy for my chosen device like speakers, case and a plethora of other devices.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
[citation][nom]sesante2000[/nom]The funny thing is I work in a hospital, you know the place where highly educated people go to work?Well, Working in IT i can tell you that i see iPhones out number any android device 5-1 if not more.But let me guess, they're all idiots? Stupid sheep with no brains?One more thing, what was that one android device that wasn't made out of cheap plastic?Or got more than 1 Major OS update?Or more than 2 geeks waited in line for?Or has a huge ecosystem of accessories like the iPhone?Or has more than 1 case after launch?Or has a good resale value for more than 60 days?But what do I know? I'm an idiot iPhone user that has been brainwashed to enjoy OS consistency, Good build quality, A actual app store that isn't a flee market like android, and stuff to buy for my chosen device like speakers, case and a plethora of other devices.[/citation]

Funny, your post does not give the impression you are highly educated. In fact it reeks of your ignorance on Android products to begin with. Maybe your opinions are based off a limited sampling of Android products or maybe they are just from plain ignorance.

My Android has received 2 major OS updates and 2 minor.
My Android is not made of all cheap plastic and as an added bonus it is actually durable and capable of sustaining accidental drops on concrete unlike an Apple product. How do I know this? I have accidentally dropped my phone more times than I can count.
My Android has a HUGE ecosystem of accessories a quick Amazon search can show me/you that.
My Android had dozens, literally dozens of cases after launch with an added bonus of not costing more than they are worse unlike Apple cases.
My Android is over 2 years old and still worth $150 cash/trade-in.

So what do you know? Not very much.
What does your post really do? Reinforce the stereotype that Apple users are in fact IDIOTS.

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
I've never seen so many people complain about iOS and how this iPhone is so underwhelming while simultaneously turning around and buying it. Seriously if you look over all the other blogs and techsites that cover it, you can find people bashing it and then saying they are waiting on their pre order or going to pick one up at the store. Dronelike Consumerism at its best. It is like all the people who whine about how bad WoW is but continue to shell out every month for it and complain every new game they play needs all these WoW elements they loathe so much. Sheesh!

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
[citation][nom]sesante2000[/nom]The funny thing is I work in a hospital, you know the place where highly educated people go to work?Well, Working in IT i can tell you that i see iPhones out number any android device 5-1 if not more.But let me guess, they're all idiots? Stupid sheep with no brains?[/citation]

That is funny, I also work IT at a hospital. I see a mix of both Android and iPhones. Doctors and Executives seem to be more inclined to carry Apple though, and they seem to whine the most when their Apple products just do not work in a Window's Environment. "But it is Apple, it should just work!" is a common phrase I hear. El oh El.

Listen facts are facts, 50 million plus sales over 2 months verses the combined sales of Galaxy S sales over two years (27 months).

So you can spew out all the hate you want, but it won't change reality or what you verbally vomit.

jasonh8806

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
I've not had an iPhone I've had both the original Motorola Droid and now the Droid X2 and I don't know if it's the Motorola phone working with the OS or the OS itself but I've had nothing but problems with things force closing and becoming insanely slow at some points and now the X2 will just randomly shut off for no apparent reason... I don't know if I'll switch to an iPhone next but I'm for sure not ever buying another Motorola smartphone.

To look at why people get so mad about the apple products boggles my mind. How can it anger someone to see a company make a product that people want to buy. I understand that the tech may not be the most up to date in their devices but they make the fit and finish look superb (you can't deny this) and when it comes down to it, it's just a phone that needs to function as a phone. Who sits around running benchmarks on their smartphone saying "hey, look at me! My phone can do this .5 seconds faster than yours..." if that's the reason for hating the iphone (along with not being able to "customize" or "hack" it) then it's pretty silly. It's just a flippin' phone.

Apple has found a pretty successful way of designing and marketing it's products to become the highest market cap company in the world. They obviously did something right.

[citation][nom]jasonh8806[/nom]To look at why people get so mad about the apple products boggles my mind.[/citation]
Mine as well.

As you said it's a frigging phone. Sales are what they are and not you, me or any trolling is going to change fact. My assumption is most of the haters have their whole lives centered around a 'phone' and most of the extreme opposition 'fears' they made a wrong choice or are somehow will become inferior. In other words childish. This world is becoming more full of hate which is sad.

I am more interested in things that count - my family and career.

bigdog44

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Its funny how so many people fall for the shiny new thingy premium. I call them the Bird Herd. Same type of people that spend thousands extra for rims for their cars that dont do anything more than stock rims do. Hell, I wonder how many screaming teens want a mirror finished UFO Fiskar car like Justin Bieber... Low self esteem, poor valuation skills and keeping up with the Jones' LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.