iPhone 5, Latest Galaxy Devices Added to Upcoming Trial

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkman

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Does the judge seem a little bit biased too you? "Grewal warned Apple that it should not try to block Samsung to do exactly that." Or is this just common practice for judges to advise those in court?

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Instead of competing by supplying products that crush the competition and give us great products, they just attempt to ban the competition from selling products.

Got to love North America. What a f--ked up place man. Democracy/Capitalism is great but a load of s--t at the same time.

Regardless of what happens, thankfully I will continue to purchase Samsung products here in Canada.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Ah... just when I was starting to wonder why there hasn't been an Apple lawsuit article lately... BAM it appears.

Also, the article's picture almost makes me want to write a Star Wars parody about the Samsung vs Apple saga.
Apple - "Drop the lawsuit in our moment of triumph?! I think you overestimate their chances!"

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Samsung could've stopped all this by going into an agreement like HTC did. Now they're going to pay another billion or so. If Samsung had done their homework before releasing these devices they wouldn't be in this mess.[/citation]

HTC only buckled because they don't have the money to compete.

Samsung makes billions in profit each quarter.

Sorry Apple cultist, but your god's days are numbered.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
There is a reason Apple is attacking Samsung like their life depended on it. And it just is that. Their life depends on it. Not just Apple, but every tech company is keeping their eyes on Samsung and Google because of what Samsung and Google are trying to achieve.

Look at the top 5 best selling tech products and you will find Samsung on every single list no matter what sector. Sometimes you will find 2-3 Samsung products in the same list competing against each other. The reason Samsung is flooding the high, mid, low-end is because of their vision of Smart Houses. Basically, a home that is connected and controlled using Android.

Look at MS and Apple trying to enter the Smart TV market. Look at MS fighting Google in court and Apple fighting Samsung. Look at Google's new fiber optics line delivering 1Gbps for only 70 dollars a month. Not just Apple, but every tech company in the world is watching Google and Samsung slowly take over the world.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]iKyunG[/nom]There is a reason Apple is attacking Samsung like their life depended on it. And it just is that. Their life depends on it. Not just Apple, but every tech company is keeping their eyes on Samsung and Google because of what Samsung and Google are trying to achieve.Look at the top 5 best selling tech products and you will find Samsung on every single list no matter what sector. Sometimes you will find 2-3 Samsung products in the same list competing against each other. The reason Samsung is flooding the high, mid, low-end is because of their vision of Smart Houses. Basically, a home that is connected and controlled using Android.Look at MS and Apple trying to enter the Smart TV market. Look at MS fighting Google in court and Apple fighting Samsung. Look at Google's new fiber optics line delivering 1Gbps for only 70 dollars a month. Not just Apple, but every tech company in the world is watching Google and Samsung slowly take over the world.[/citation]

You're sure about this? Samsung to me just reminds me of the old Sony. Except Sony actually came out and created more new markets for products. That is to say, Sony came out with new products that were truly innovative in that they created a new market space. For example the walkman, which later other companies came and replicated. Had their hands in creating the Audio CD and a bunch of other things. Recently they have imploded and lost 80% of their market cap in the past 5 years.

You do know that even if Apple as a company lost 67% of its value its Market Cap would be equal that of Samsung. I do believe 2013 is when Apple as a company will begin to slide in terms of market cap. But as a company they will continue to be worth more. They are not going after Samsung because their life depends on it. They have over $120 billion in cash, winning $1 billion from Samsung does not change much for them. In case you didn't know, for the time being Apple is worth more than Google and Samsung combined. By mid-2013 Apple will have almost enough cash to outright buy Samsung (of course a hostile takeover with 0% premium to the price is not realistic, but shows you how much cash they will have). You do realize Samsung and Google have been "watching" Apple, you know the whole touchscreen smartphones and tablets that Apple created the markets for, that they have replicated. Apple has tried to compete with Google in maps and has failed, but overall in terms of core business and sheer revenue and profits, Google and Samsung followed Apple's product lines more than vice-versa.

So when and where have Microsoft and Apple entered the smart tv market? To me they sell units (Xbox and Apple TV) to be used with existing TVs and they have been around for years. Rumours exist about Apple entering to make actual TVs but these have been around for almost 2 years.

Its natural for Google that is an internet company and makes almost 80% of its profits from internet advertisements to get into delivering the internet. This is not Microsofts or Apple's core business and is not really a threat to them. If anything, ultraspeed internet will help Apple push their iTunes to be used even more for content such as movies and tv shows.

Apple and Sony both created new markets for products. The only thing I've seen Samsung create is the phablet. (Phone/Tablet with its Note II). Which is equivalent to me as a company being the first to offer 40" tvs when only 32" and 50" were the only ones available [not a significant leap in innovation].

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]HTC only buckled because they don't have the money to compete.Samsung makes billions in profit each quarter. Sorry Apple cultist, but your god's days are numbered.[/citation]
Samsung buckled and signed with Microsoft. It's only a matter of time before Samsung caves and signs with Apple too.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]billgatez[/nom]I hope Google gets involved in this. Because thos two companies would crush Apple.[/citation]

ummm... the past 4 years these two companies have gotten involved together and made products.

AAPL: up 516%
GOOG: up 128%
Samsung: 195-300% [depends on market]

Apple will slide down and will probably start in 2013. Apple will not be able to provide the growth required to sustain its high market cap and the pipe line of new products without Jobs is suspect.

Who knows maybe Google Glasses will takeover and smartphones will be useless or maybe not.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]You're sure about this? Samsung to me just reminds me of the old Sony. Except Sony actually came out and created more new markets for products. That is to say, Sony came out with new products that were truly innovative in that they created a new market space. For example the walkman, which later other companies came and replicated. [/quote]
Remind me, how many of the competitors did Sony sue.

They are not going after Samsung because their life depends on it. They have over $120 billion in cash, winning $1 billion from Samsung does not change much for them.
Indeed, it's not about stupid billion.
It's about, let me cite Mr Jobbs, "going thermonuclear" on Android.
And about mis-using damn idiotic patent system to BAN competition.

One of the reasons, that judge has ordered Apple to disclose details of HTC deal is exactly that: Apple claimed some of their patents are soo damn important, that they can't license it to anyone. It appears they still can though.

Mocking Samsung's R&D (AMOLED, damn wireless tech that become standard, all kinds of displays, including flexible, their fabs and what not) when comparing them to "pitch to zoom", "rounded corners" clowns is an insult to humanity.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom][citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]You're sure about this? Samsung to me just reminds me of the old Sony. Except Sony actually came out and created more new markets for products. That is to say, Sony came out with new products that were truly innovative in that they created a new market space. For example the walkman, which later other companies came and replicated. [/quote]Remind me, how many of the competitors did Sony sue.Indeed, it's not about stupid billion.It's about, let me cite Mr Jobbs, "going thermonuclear" on Android.And about mis-using damn idiotic patent system to BAN competition.One of the reasons, that judge has ordered Apple to disclose details of HTC deal is exactly that: Apple claimed some of their patents are soo damn important, that they can't license it to anyone. It appears they still can though.Mocking Samsung's R&D (AMOLED, damn wireless tech that become standard, all kinds of displays, including flexible, their fabs and what not) when comparing them to "pitch to zoom", "rounded corners" clowns is an insult to humanity.[/citation]

Apple created the finger touch smartphone and tablet space. Their iPod touch has single handily created a new space of handheld devices killing Sony's and Nintendo's handheld gaming systems.

Ultrabooks were non-existent in terms of laptop sales until the Macbook Air came out. Now you have every PC manufacturer producing ultrabooks to match the Macbook Air.

No PC manufacturer even considered a laptop beyond 1080p, agains Apple has created a market for beyond 1080p displays. They're the first to push "retina" level PPI for laptops. This isn't really creating a new market for laptops as the Macbook Air has but its at least pushing the industry.

I don't like Apple computers, I don't buy them, I have used them. But I have to give credit as someone who follows technology and economics that impact they have had in creating viable markets for products that competitors replicate.

Samsung has zero impact in market creation as Apple and Sony. They make products for existing markets, not create new market spaces. Making larger FAB plants is no where near the same as Intel and AMD coming up with new CPU architecture and having large FAB plants. And is no where near the same as Arm Holdings coming up with their ARM designs that get licensed.

By the way, Kodak in 2003 used AMOLED in a product. This is not something Samsung created.

Flexible OLED, Samsung might make it to market first with a product using this, but they haven't, a 100 other companies might too.

Also, putting a new type of display on an existing product line isn't creating a new market for a product, unless its something radical as flexible phones. And well... Samsung hasn't done this yet.

ltdementhial

Aug 20, 2011
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]Apple created the finger touch smartphone and tablet space. Their iPod touch has single handily created a new space of handheld devices killing Sony's and Nintendo's handheld gaming systems.Ultrabooks were non-existent in terms of laptop sales until the Macbook Air came out. Now you have every PC manufacturer producing ultrabooks to match the Macbook Air. No PC manufacturer even considered a laptop beyond 1080p, agains Apple has created a market for beyond 1080p displays. They're the first to push "retina" level PPI for laptops. This isn't really creating a new market for laptops as the Macbook Air has but its at least pushing the industry.I don't like Apple computers, I don't buy them, I have used them. But I have to give credit as someone who follows technology and economics that impact they have had in creating viable markets for products that competitors replicate.Samsung has zero impact in market creation as Apple and Sony. They make products for existing markets, not create new market spaces. Making larger FAB plants is no where near the same as Intel and AMD coming up with new CPU architecture and having large FAB plants. And is no where near the same as Arm Holdings coming up with their ARM designs that get licensed.By the way, Kodak in 2003 used AMOLED in a product. This is not something Samsung created.Flexible OLED, Samsung might make it to market first with a product using this, but they haven't, a 100 other companies might too.Also, putting a new type of display on an existing product line isn't creating a new market for a product, unless its something radical as flexible phones. And well... Samsung hasn't done this yet.[/citation]

Microsoft and HP/Palm created the finger touch smartphon and tablet space...or do i need to remember you:

Microsoft tablets with XP in 2002.
HP ipaq's Yeah...an "i" device long before ipod.
Palm Os since Version 3 and the Centro.
Even the first TRUE smartphones where Palm OS /Black Berry based, then Nokia entered the Competition...

Ultrabooks are the same concept than netbooks, only due to limitations of hardware Apple incresed screen size and launched them with better spec's then other companys followed due to a market flooded with 10" netbooks and a more crowded tablet market growing. I preffer in my personal opinion an 14-15 tablet with AMD Vision before a ultrabook.

Pc and laptop are way different markets...no one considered going beyon 1080p because it isn't necessary...any day since Geforce 6000 and Ati 1xxx we got 2048x1536 resolution...thats 2004 technology...i wouldnt like that resolution on a crappy tft-lcd backlight 17"...maybe on an 21" laptop but that huge as hell...not to mention we are in Toms Hardware dude they made reviews with both pc's AND laptops runing up to 4k resolution USING 3-6 21-23" MONITORS.

DPI is a Gimmick on non touch based devices, its useful in touch based devices since theyre aimed to that market...it's like 6-7 years ago when tft-lcd was going mainstream on the monitor market, we had an crazy marketing with the contrast ratio going from 1000:1 to 10000000000000000000000000000000000000:1.

Oh and i had an Asus G71 that suported 2600x1440 on an ips monitor.

Every company, make it samsung, apple, even those chinese manofacturers that make sub 100 bucks tablets with A10 cpu's everyone has an impact, make it minimal as you can but they have it...one way or another....you said it your self above, Samsung made the first 40" tv's when only 32-50 where availabe, then LG came with 37" and Sony with 42" and toshiba or mitsubishi with 47-60"...thats an impact and is a sub market.

Samsung is where it is because of the way the do things, Sony was great in the 90's but since that backdoor trojan on music cd's they are on an down spiral, ask any japanese...they don't have much of a presence in japan...only on big reailers and limited.

Samsung had plenty of impact in the ARM World, damn they desingend and made the first 4 generations of iphone Cpu's and the 2 first of ipad. add to that the fact that 70% of those devices are made by them, even the iphone 5 cpu is made by them but desinged by apple, AMD break theire contract with GloFo and bot TSMC and Samsung are goin to make some chips form AMD, even with more reason due to AMD entering the x64 server cpu arena and the arm and arm x86 cpu desing arena.

Kodak used an OLED product in 2003 they made the first suceful OLED display in 1987, AMOLED is 2004 by Samsung, plus they have 40% of the OLED market cap.

Flexible AMOLED devices are going to hit mainstream a couple years from 1 jan 2013 on, Samsung is testing and seeking for partners to make them low cost. Flexible OLED devices maybe on the same time screend due to the interest of Sony and Panasonic of first get down manofacturing cost and then produce them on mass.

But Apple does...they only upgrade the hardware and relaunch it as a new line a new full price...nothing radical at all.

Nokia does some experimentation they always have, Samsung does what ever they research team says is goin to be attractive to people.

maddy143ded

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Samsung could've stopped all this by going into an agreement like HTC did. Now they're going to pay another billion or so. If Samsung had done their homework before releasing these devices they wouldn't be in this mess.[/citation]
samsung is not going to pay anything..
instead apple's profit margins are going to come down, and the apple products are going to be more substandard then they already are...
any decent judge can see that apples case is frivolous, its just that there is lots of pressure from the apple lobbyists on the justice system, so judges have to allow apples cases in the court..
this the way its done in capitalistic countries..

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]ltdementhial[/nom]Microsoft and HP/Palm created the finger touch smartphon and tablet space...or do i need to remember you:Microsoft tablets with XP in 2002.HP ipaq's Yeah...an "i" device long before ipod.Palm Os since Version 3 and the Centro.Even the first TRUE smartphones where Palm OS /Black Berry based, then Nokia entered the Competition...[/citation]

Ok you don't understand economics and finances and your statement proves this.
Being first to market does not mean you create the current market space for the product.

If you honestly think that Microsoft and Palm created the finger touch smartphone and tablet revolution we are seeing the past 5 years, you don't understand product history and markets. Microsoft, really, are you on crack, they had a negative impact on this space. You do realize that in the past decade Microsofts Entertainment and Devices Division has lost $3.555 Billion dollars. And you think they help create this market, LOL. That's the biggest joke.

It was the iPhone that created the finger touch smartphone revolution we are in. Every competitor now has replicated their product to get into this space and almost every single smartphone sold now is a finger touch UI.

As for tablets, same thing, the iPad created the billion dollar industry. There was no profit generating tablet that made this space. FIRST TO MARKET does not mean you create a market.

I can be first to market with a flying car and sell 2 of them. If company XYZ makes a product that millions of people are using and flying cars become a huge player in transportation, guess what they created the viable market for that product.

[citation][nom]ltdementhial[/nom] Ultrabooks are the same concept than netbooks, only due to limitations of hardware Apple incresed screen size and launched them with better spec's then other companys followed due to a market flooded with 10" netbooks and a more crowded tablet market growing. I preffer in my personal opinion an 14-15 tablet with AMD Vision before a ultrabook. [/citation]

The Netbook was a PC industry thing and was a complete flop, they thought it would usher a new wave of devices. The Macbook Air is not a glorified netbook, if you can't tell the difference then you should research it further.

[citation][nom]ltdementhial[/nom] Pc and laptop are way different markets...no one considered going beyon 1080p because it isn't necessary...any day since Geforce 6000 and Ati 1xxx we got 2048x1536 resolution...thats 2004 technology...i wouldnt like that resolution on a crappy tft-lcd backlight 17"...maybe on an 21" laptop but that huge as hell...not to mention we are in Toms Hardware dude they made reviews with both pc's AND laptops runing up to 4k resolution USING 3-6 21-23" MONITORS.
DPI is a Gimmick on non touch based devices, its useful in touch based devices since theyre aimed to that market...it's like 6-7 years ago when tft-lcd was going mainstream on the monitor market, we had an crazy marketing with the contrast ratio going from 1000:1 to 10000000000000000000000000000000000000:1.[/citation]

You obviously do not understand ppi, that's why there's 5" smartphones that are 1080p, but 13-15" laptops that are only 1080p? At least Apple is trying to improvie ppi unlike the PC industry. You can tell the difference from a Retina Macbook pro and a crappy 1368x768 laptop. I've played a little with Retina and seeing the pictures I take with my DSLR on that plus the quality of text, this is where the future is going. Agains I only buy PC laptops, not an Apple fanboy.

[citation][nom]ltdementhial[/nom] Sony was great in the 90's but since that backdoor trojan on music cd's they are on an down spiral, ask any japanese...they don't have much of a presence in japan...only on big reailers and limited.[/citation]

Sony is getting crushed by a multitude of factors. Stagnation of innovation and products for the past decade and trying to compenstate by using their branding. This stagnation occurs with lots of companies who find themselves at the top for a period of time. They however do not enjoy a monopoly in any space nor are there products in very high margin markets. The high YEN since the US recession has greatly hurt them and other Japanese companies.

[citation][nom]ltdementhial[/nom] Samsung had plenty of impact in the ARM World, damn they desingend and made the first 4 generations of iphone Cpu's and the 2 first of ipad. add to that the fact that 70% of those devices are made by them, even the iphone 5 cpu is made by them but desinged by apple, AMD break theire contract with GloFo and bot TSMC and Samsung are goin to make some chips form AMD, even with more reason due to AMD entering the x64 server cpu arena and the arm and arm x86 cpu desing arena.[/citation]

Do no confuse making and achitecting. Apple has their engineering team make modifications to ARM's architecture for their products. ARM is the one with the real innovation making the achitecture. Even Apple and other companies who take ARM specs and modify them aren't innovating all that much. Samsung falls in the same category as Apple in terms of achitecture.
Manufacturing is not innovating. Ex. A Chinese company manufacturer a brand new Ralph Lauren type shirt never seen before is just making the product. The designer and creator for that Ralph Lauren shirt are the ones doing the innovation.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Depending on your point of view, you could say that Samsung aren't entering into an agreement on general principle, that if they allow a company that has no right to have their products banned, a company that only has good products to sell because it sells parts to it
Easy to see your point of view
When, not if, but when Samsung finally cut off Apple from it's supply chain and keep all that juicy hardware for itself and don't have some legally enforced con-artist scheme imposed on them, you seriously think customers are going to let Apple back on top?
Even the most braindead Apple fanbois will eventually jump ship when the latest iPhone 6 or 7 (next Xmas) has a slower CPU, worse screen, less battery, worse camera, AGAIN for the 3rd model running
Just being white and thin was good enough for the first few iPhones and will continue to be good for girls in the fashion modelling industry but by now the smartphone user in the world will be seasoned and knows what they want and Apple just can't provide it - or they could, as long as they had good parts to buy from Samsung, shame they pissed them off though...

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
When the government starts putting chips in your ear when you are born, this war will end...... you will have a GPS, phone, all your medical records, all your person info stored in a chip in your body. No one will need a phone anymore.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]Samsung buckled and signed with Microsoft. It's only a matter of time before Samsung caves and signs with Apple too.[/citation]

That is why there will always be "Open Source" it is the third party they have no control over because they can't buy it out or sue it into non existance..... lol go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.