iPhone 5 Manufacturer Denies Plans for New U.S. Factory

Status
Not open for further replies.

raidenfox123

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
Well if they open a new plant in the state's how will they be able to get away with the blatant abuse and work ethics that they can get away with in China. :)

dauntekong

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
Foxconn Spokesmen: "I'm sorry, but Apple is not paying us enough to make a new plant. However, we have plans on making new plants on other companies."

Reporter: "...So all other company gets a new plant but Apple?"

Foxconn Spokesmen: "EXACTLY..."

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
[citation][nom]raidenfox123[/nom]Well if they open a new plant in the state's how will they be able to get away with the blatant abuse and work ethics that they can get away with in China.[/citation]
They won't open it here because 99% would NEVER like to work at their wages. So be happy :)

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
News flash...... those jobs are never coming back. The Chinese make something for a dollar that can be duplicated in North America for under $5. You may as well report on Apple putting plants on the moon.

nah51dog

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2010
[citation][nom]akula2[/nom]They won't open it here because 99% would NEVER like to work at their wages. So be happy[/citation]

be happy? be happy about what? be happy that manufacturing jobs that could be in the united states are overseas? we have a MINIMUM WAGE in the united states so we would never work for their wages anyway.

god i bet you voted for romney too

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
I wonder if a day will ever come, when people wake up, and just collectively stop buying anything made for cheap, by cheap , just out of principle. I guess not! To those of you that are unemployed AND use Apple products, I'm really curious as to what your last thoughts will be on your deathbeds.

Tanquen

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Maybe if we put tariffs goods from countries that pay their workers very little, force free overtime for missed quotas, provide little or no healthcare, use children as part of their labor force, have no or unforced environmental laws where their people live in and breath in filth, devalue our currency, don’t enforce intellectual property laws, lie about everything that goes on in their borders, shoot people for protesting…

Maybe some companies would keep jobs in the west.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]akula2[/nom]They won't open it here because 99% would NEVER like to work at their wages. So be happy[/citation]

Machines work for free and 24/7, as long as you don't have tunnel vision and willing to pay for the upfront installation costs, maintenance (usually much than min wage for workers), and a handful of trained technicians.

I recall in the Willy Wonka movie, the company fired the assembly line workers and replaced them with a machine, and then they had to hire a technician to fix the broken machine.

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
[citation][nom]nah51dog[/nom]be happy? be happy about what? be happy that manufacturing jobs that could be in the united states are overseas? we have a MINIMUM WAGE in the united states so we would never work for their wages anyway. god i bet you voted for romney too[/citation]
Mitt is a fool so I cared less about him. I meant, folks here don't need to worry about those jobs. Remember same thing Obama himself said that in a debate?

I'm a Phama/Biotech/Electronics manufacturer based in US/Germany/India. If folks here need jobs like China then we need to revise many laws in this country to that we could put most of the unemployed to work minus not-so-big-pay to beat China's manufacturing domination. Until this happens we don't have any chance to beat them. Trust me not even Obama's policies will work against them. So what do we want? Good pay less jobs or 'optimum' pay more jobs? You get my point now?

BTW people shouldn't whine about China's work force. I can say number of work force exploitations in many ways right here in our land, may not be about low-pay or tight work schedules. China didn't happen over the night as a Manufacturing giant. It took them more than 2 decades of hard work.

Tanquen

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
"BTW people shouldn't whine about China's work force. I can say number of work force exploitations in many ways right here in our land, may not be about low-pay or tight work schedules. China didn't happen over the night as a Manufacturing giant. It took them more than 2 decades of hard work."

Yes, good honest companies move their manufacturing to India/China and the like because of the good honest government officials, businessmen and all their hard work. Corruption and exploitation are everywhere but nowhere like China. Their government takes advantage of their workers and the west just gleefully and ignorantly buy all their goods and then wonder where all the jobs have gone and why fewer and fewer people have any buying power.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
The firm even went as far as hiring underage interns to work on making Apple's products, with general employees voicing their concern in regards to harsh working conditions.

What is this garbage? How does this have any relevance whatsoever to this article, or the sentence it follows discussing the complexity of the iPhone 5? The article it links to makes no mention of Apple anywhere in it and didn't appear to involve Apple at all. You guys have stooped to the level of making snide remarks about child labor? The author of this post should be at the very least put on vacation for horribly bad this demonstrates.

Apple doesn't put manufacturing plants anywhere because Apple doesn't do manufacturing.

G

"Foxconn has previously said that the iPhone 5 is the most difficult device it has ever assembled. The firm even went as far as hiring underage interns to work on making Apple's products..."

So they assumed underage and underskilled children should be able to assemble the most difficult device to manufacture ever? Sounds fishy...

[citation][nom]someone12[/nom]"Foxconn has previously said that the iPhone 5 is the most difficult device it has ever assembled. The firm even went as far as hiring underage interns to work on making Apple's products..."So they assumed underage and underskilled children should be able to assemble the most difficult device to manufacture ever? Sounds fishy...[/citation]

Difficult for Foxconn to manufacture and difficult to actually be put together might not be completely synonymous. For example, it might take a lot of work and some odd components, but having the workers put it together might not be too difficult, although it might take more assembly line steps than previous models. Besides, given that Foxconn uses an assembly line, I don't see each individual step being difficult, just the whole process as a whole.

I'd be more worried about their safety than their capability to do the same menial task over and over again on the assembly lines.

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
[citation][nom]Tanquen[/nom]"Yes, good honest companies move their manufacturing to India/China and the like because of the good honest government officials, businessmen and all their hard work. Corruption and exploitation are everywhere but nowhere like China. Their government takes advantage of their workers and the west just gleefully and ignorantly buy all their goods and then wonder where all the jobs have gone and why fewer and fewer people have any buying power.[/citation]
This is nothing to do with honesty. It's called Globalization my dear friend.

Now let's flip the story. In the US, almost every International company opens its business, and provided the jobs the people. Isn't this true? So in the same Globalization, we go out and invest in other countries for different reasons. Mostly for being competitive. Mark this word. This didn't happen with China or India. Please go back to 1960s and 1970s to find more answers. Clue is again a bunch of European countries but in Asia it started with Japan/Taiwan/Malaysia/Singapore/later Korea. But in those decades the jobs story was different, now I agree only on "putting most of the eggs in China's basket" for sure. India is far less in Manufacturing compared to China, it's more of IT/Services/Back Office giant. But on the flip side, see now how many Asian (Japanese/Korean is not Chinese/Indian) companies are providing jobs to the people.

If you're talking about honesty then it's different ball of game. Example search this one from www.ctj.org

"Which Fortune 500 Companies Are Sheltering Income in Overseas Tax Havens?" :)

One thing is certain. If we wish to participate in Globalization we have to either get used to give and take policies or we must learn to work like them - for optimum pay without compromising on health/safety practices. I hope I'm understood now.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
A spokeswoman for the manufacturer has now stated that it "already has multiple facilities based in the U.S." and "there are no current plans to expand our operations there at this time."

So many of you people just ignore the facts. As soon as you hear the word "Apple" the hate begins..

The fact of the matter is not the jobs going overseas to another companies, it is the cold stone fact that those Americans that are unemployed are just not good enough or smart enough to keep their own job!

Remember this, people that you use to work with still work in that job or already found a new job, it is you that is collecting unemployment and complaining no jobs. It is not American or Chinese companies that cost you your job, the blame is only on yourself!!

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
[citation][nom]monsta[/nom]Designed in California....Made in China.Apple Care = cares for profit margins and does not care about creating more jobs in America.[/citation]

This is kinda how business works!! Why should they care about creating more jobs in US? Most of their development team is here creating the next device(s) that will be sold in the next year....

It is not Apple's or any company's responsibility to hire people dumber than a door knob that can't do anything other than assembly part a to part b....

A assembly line worker should only make min. wage, never more than a 7/11 worker!

Status
Not open for further replies.