iPhone 5 Sells Five Million Units in First Three Days

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Just got my LG Motion 4g. $150. No contract. Unlimited everything for $50 a month. No caps. ICS. Dual core 1.5 Ghz processor. Upgraded from LG Optimus V... Big upgrade. And I see no reason why I will need a better phone any time soon, at least until a decent no-contract service has an affordable Windows Phone, and even then: This phone is just fine.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
[citation][nom]azraa[/nom]I still dont believe this crap.Masses need to be tech educated, a lot.[/citation]

Or maybe you need to be business/marketing educated. No matter if you like Apple or not, the iphone is one of the leading products in the sector in terms of features, power, battery life, user experience, etc. In terms of build quality and features, its still better than the majority of its competitors.

Now, do other companies deserve higher sales for their strong offerings in the sector? - Yes they do. Is it stupid for people to go buy one of the best tech products out there? No it is not.

scannall

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
[citation][nom]azraa[/nom]I still dont believe this crap.Masses need to be tech educated, a lot.[/citation]

Not everyone wants to live in their moms basement. Not everyone looks at assorted gadgets and appliances as Tinker Toys, nor do they have the interest or the time to fiddle with things.

[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]Just got my LG Motion 4g. $150. No contract. Unlimited everything for $50 a month. No caps. ICS. Dual core 1.5 Ghz processor. Upgraded from LG Optimus V... Big upgrade. And I see no reason why I will need a better phone any time soon, at least until a decent no-contract service has an affordable Windows Phone, and even then: This phone is just fine.[/citation]
... like the Nokia 710 which is ~$210 without contract? Even the lumia 800 goes for ~$320 or so, which is not bad. Pair it with a cheap all-you-can-eat t-mobile plan for $60/mo, and it really isn't that expensive.
Personally I am waiting for an unlocked high end WP8 or Android device, and will get 2 of whatever I like (one for me, one for the wife), and then get the $80/mo 1000 minute shared plan with unlimited text/data. The savings in the plan alone will not only pay for the phones I get this time around, but should also pay for the next set of phones I get ~2 years down the road compared to similar offerings provided by ATT and verizon. I understand that T-mobile is 'less than great' on service in most areas, but I don't understand why they do not catch on more in areas like the one I live in where their service is competitive... but maybe I will find out soon lol.

aracheb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
[citation][nom]deadlockedworld[/nom]Or maybe you need to be business/marketing educated. No matter if you like Apple or not, the iphone is one of the leading products in the sector in terms of features, power, battery life, user experience, etc. In terms of build quality and features, its still better than the majority of its competitors. Now, do other companies deserve higher sales for their strong offerings in the sector? - Yes they do. Is it stupid for people to go buy one of the best tech products out there? No it is not.[/citation]

Sorry, my friend but is not the Tech they buy.. There is hardly anything Techie about they iPhone for them to buy. They buy the user experience or more straightforward the apps. Since the user experience that Apple had that was unique in the pass is long gone, since they started copying features from other OS and from androids.

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
[citation][nom]deadlockedworld[/nom]Or maybe you need to be business/marketing educated. No matter if you like Apple or not, the iphone is one of the leading products in the sector in terms of features, power, battery life, user experience, etc. In terms of build quality and features, its still better than the majority of its competitors. Now, do other companies deserve higher sales for their strong offerings in the sector? - Yes they do. Is it stupid for people to go buy one of the best tech products out there? No it is not.[/citation]

Build Quality? Get your new iPhone 5 Black Slate edition with factory scuffing! If you don't like it you unboxed it wrong!

Features? Enjoy new Apple iMaps that send you into one way streets and is missing many popular landmarks, points of interests and roads that were built years ago! Also enjoy your blazing fast speeds with our new iWifi that is so revolutionary and innovative it only lets you use 25% of a wifi connection!

Act fast and buy up our new product because mass rioting in China from our slaves... er i mean workers are causing a massive shortage in our parts!

spat55

Distinguished
I find that apple are a rip-off. I use to love them but after all this malware on macs, not so much. I personally think that the only upside to the iphone was the security but now I think that it is apple lying about how secure they are, at least with android etc they are open about it and want you to protect yourself unlike apple.

spat55

Distinguished
[citation][nom]hate machine[/nom]Build Quality? Get your new iPhone 5 Black Slate edition with factory scuffing! If you don't like it you unboxed it wrong!Features? Enjoy new Apple iMaps that send you into one way streets and is missing many popular landmarks, points of interests and roads that were built years ago! Also enjoy your blazing fast speeds with our new iWifi that is so revolutionary and innovative it only lets you use 25% of a wifi connection!Act fast and buy up our new product because mass rioting in China from our slaves... er i mean workers are causing a massive shortage in our parts![/citation]

I love you man! Everything I should of said!

iPhone is pretty good, but I think if users did at least a little bit of research (other than poking at a phone for 5 minutes in the store) we would see much greater diversity in the phone market than iPhone selling all the high end devices, and HTC selling all the cheap Androids. I mean, if you buy a phone then you are stuck with it for 2+ years! During that time phone graphics will roughly quadruple in performance, and phone CPUs will easily double in performance, while battery life gets much better (expect to see 2-3 day battery life in a year or so like we currently have with dumb-phones). Surely anyone would owe it to themselves to be a little cautious, and do a bit of research before making a decision.

Apple makes a device that is very well rounded and is great for entertainment/multimedia, but chokes when you try to do 'work' with it. It is also THE device to get if you also have a Mac, ipad, and/or ipod as they all work pretty well together, but I don't get PC users who get an iPhone as their only apple product... Apple products are like voltron, the more you hook up the better it gets.
Android phones are neat, especially if you like Google services. They are much more flexible in what they can do, but they are also a little harder to use, and the interfaces are so fragmented by the hardware makers that it becomes a pain. But some of the absolute best no-compromise hardware is on Android phones, and their app selection is great.
WP7/7.5 is OK all around for work or play, but not as mature an OS as iOS or Android.
WP8 is a giant question mark as we have not heard the full feature list yet (or even speculation of the rest of the feature list... surely they are hiding something fun by being so hush-hush), but should bring the WP platform up to speed with iOS and Android, while having a more complete office suite, work domain capabilities, and a growing app selection that will cross over with Windows8 and Windows8RT, which could be compelling for those who use Windows OS on their other devices.

But the point is that each platform has a ton to offer, and no platform right now offers 'everything'. I think if people looked around a bit more then the market would be much more evenly distributed, and the people using their devices would get a lot more out of them than just making calls and playing angry birds like they do at present.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]scannall[/nom]Not everyone wants to live in their moms basement. Not everyone looks at assorted gadgets and appliances as Tinker Toys, nor do they have the interest or the time to fiddle with things.[/citation]

Try surfing a media heavy site that uses Flash; and yes, many do... :)
Apple has to do everything in a non standard way so they can sell cables, adapters, apps and s%$t at their usual markup.
Try getting tech help for a PC and any 14 year old kid can fix your box.
Try getting something services, upgraded or fixed on iStuff.
Jobs is gone and things are beginning to fall apart slowly.
If you have Apple stock... high time to cash in to realize the profits!

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012

Features, no. Build quality, no. Battery life, maybe. Power, highly debatable. User experience, maybe. That's as much credit as I'll give on that. The iPhones have been lacking in the features department compared to Android the entire time (although they are slowly catching up and I'll give them a little credit for that).

iPhones (and a lot of other Apple-branded hardware) have had inferior build quality/reliability pretty much the entire time or at least almost the entire time against Android and probably Blackberry too. They are much more easily broken screens and are more difficult to repair as well as less upgrade-oriented (battery, MicroSD card, etc.). Some Android phones have had bad battery life compared to iPhones (probably because they had battery-sucking features such as 4G and WiFi much earlier), so Apple can have credit for that.

Then there's the user experience... Well, that's very subjective, so I find it difficult to give out a clear win to either side, although since some Android phones are overly ridden with bloatware and/or instability, I suppose that Apple might be the better choice for getting a win, but on the other hand, there are excellent Android phones that can do more than Apple can and at least with Android 4.0 and up, I usually hear that these newer Android versions are superior to iOS.

I've heard almost nothing but bad news about the new iOS 6 (although I've heard better things from older versions and my own experience with them, although not entirely positive, was at least generally acceptable), so I could also give this one to Android. I think that I'd settle for saying that both have had ups and downs here, but given that Android has mostly been improving while Apple just kinda skips around, well, it's still a tough call.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]iPhone is pretty good, but I think if users did at least a little bit of research (other than poking at a phone for 5 minutes in the store) we would see much greater diversity in the phone market than iPhone selling all the high end devices, and HTC selling all the cheap Androids. I mean, if you buy a phone then you are stuck with it for 2+ years! During that time phone graphics will roughly quadruple in performance, and phone CPUs will easily double in performance, while battery life gets much better (expect to see 2-3 day battery life in a year or so like we currently have with dumb-phones). Surely anyone would owe it to themselves to be a little cautious, and do a bit of research before making a decision.Apple makes a device that is very well rounded and is great for entertainment/multimedia, but chokes when you try to do 'work' with it. It is also THE device to get if you also have a Mac, ipad, and/or ipod as they all work pretty well together, but I don't get PC users who get an iPhone as their only apple product... Apple products are like voltron, the more you hook up the better it gets.Android phones are neat, especially if you like Google services. They are much more flexible in what they can do, but they are also a little harder to use, and the interfaces are so fragmented by the hardware makers that it becomes a pain. But some of the absolute best no-compromise hardware is on Android phones, and their app selection is great.WP7/7.5 is OK all around for work or play, but not as mature an OS as iOS or Android.WP8 is a giant question mark as we have not heard the full feature list yet (or even speculation of the rest of the feature list... surely they are hiding something fun by being so hush-hush), but should bring the WP platform up to speed with iOS and Android, while having a more complete office suite, work domain capabilities, and a growing app selection that will cross over with Windows8 and Windows8RT, which could be compelling for those who use Windows OS on their other devices.But the point is that each platform has a ton to offer, and no platform right now offers 'everything'. I think if people looked around a bit more then the market would be much more evenly distributed, and the people using their devices would get a lot more out of them than just making calls and playing angry birds like they do at present.[/citation]

I appreciate your well thought out response! Raising the level of discourse on Toms!

Status
Not open for further replies.