iPhone 5C Orders Slashed Due to Lowered Demand

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009

again, as someone already mentioned in these comments, the iphone 5S has a 640p screen(1136x640?) and all the high end android phones out these days sport 1080p screens. this makes a large difference in cpu performance. in the article you posted, you see that the 5S is ahead in those benchmarks, but not by alot. now imaging if the LG G2 were sporting a 640p screen instead of a large 1080p screen. the snapdragon 800 is indeed a faster chip.

that said, phone performance-wise, the 5S is faster as a phone because of its low res screen and OS built around the chip. Qualcomm doesnt have the liberty of having google build the next android based on snapdragon chips. this also speaks volumes about the snapdragon 800s actual untapped performance. the A7 is already milked because apple makes their os to the chips best possible performace.

Its alot harder to optimize a chip for an OS than to optimize an OS for a chip.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

This is very true.

sean1357

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
Did I say anything about screen resolution? I just want to see the benchmark of integer, float point to see how to compare to FPGA chip of (Altera or Xilinx).

chfireball

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
anandtech..<< I posted a link... the screen don't matter if it's 1080p or 720p if you look at the cpu tests the 5s is faster..omg if you compress files on a x86 do you this is a gpu test? no.. its a cpu test!

.. look at the google octane test.
https://developers.google.com/octane/benchmark
this test is a CPU TEST! and the 5s is faster! it dont matter the screen size! it's not a GPU test. now the gpu tests are done in off screen 1080p, and for the most part 5s is better. read the article and if you open minded you will see the 5s is the fastest

as far as " optimize chip ".. better for apple! google chooses not to do this. but booth apple and google had to design there os to run on arm.

Status
Not open for further replies.