iPhone 5S Teardown Reveals Glued Battery, Lack of M7 Chip

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008

Everything I have read shows 64 bit versions of an OS and program (with all else being equal) runs faster than a 32 bit version. Maybe this is for x86 and x86-64 and not ARM but I have not seen anyone test 64 bit ARM CPUs.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
so says the guy that can't afford to get one....get a life...apple builds quality components

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010

The Note 3 will have 3GB of RAM. So Samsung's next top tier phone will most likely have 4GB, hence 64 bits. This doesn't mean Samsung copied anyone. Moving to 64 bits it's natural. This is like saying Apple copied Microsoft (and Microsoft copied others like linux,...) because Microsoft release Windows 64 bits earlier than Macs (even though Apple at the time Apple claimed that the Power Mac G5 was the first 64 bit PC).

Also Bay Trail from Intel is already a 64 bit CPU for phones, and it was launched prior to the iPhone 5s, so when phones with this SoC hits the shops they will be a 64 bit phones.

sharpies

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
I currently have an Android phone and tbh, I cant wait to get rid of it. It's almost like with customization comes clutter. With Android you need a phone that's got desktop pc specs just to keep up with Apple. Don't believe me? Read this:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7335/the-iphone-5s-review/2

Sure there loads of features missing in iOS7 but where Apple excels in is the fundamental basics. They proved that you don't need a gazzillion cores and RAM to runs things smooth. The OS is so easy and userfriendly, thats probably why stevejnb suggested an iPad to his granny instead of an Android alternative.

I am by no means a fanboy of any brand (neither apple nor lagdroid) but the facts is fact. Personally for me I want something that is super easy to use with the least amount of clutter. Maybe if I never used iOS I would have been happy with lagdroid because I wouldn't know any better.

sharpies

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
I currently have an Android phone and tbh, I cant wait to get rid of it. It's almost like with customization comes clutter. With Android you need a phone that's got desktop pc specs just to keep up with Apple. Don't believe me? Read this:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7335/the-iphone-5s-review/2

Sure there loads of features missing in iOS7 but where Apple excels in is the fundamental basics. They proved that you don't need a gazzillion cores and RAM to runs things smooth. The OS is so easy and userfriendly, thats probably why stevejnb suggested an iPad to his granny instead of an Android alternative.

I am by no means a fanboy of any brand (neither apple nor lagdroid) but the facts is fact. Personally for me I want something that is super easy to use with the least amount of clutter. Maybe if I never used iOS I would have been happy with lagdroid because I wouldn't know any better.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
@sorky "iPhones are just overpriced junk. I've owned two iPhones in the past and both times the battery ended up dying. I had to hire someone to take it apart and replace the battery. I've junked both and switched to Samsung Galaxy phones. Now, I can pop off the back, replace the battery, replace the back cover, and I'm good to go. Apple sucks!"

Calling BS. Sure the 16 iHaters on TH will agree but I have plenty of friends with iP4 and iP4S with strong batteries. TH Scamsung fanbois likie but I will stick to U.S. Tech!

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

Yeah, I can understand this. I think you're being a bit hard on Android - there is simply no need for clutter, it really is as cluttered as the user wants to make it - but Apple products are simply well suited for a certain type of person with certain needs. Much like PC fanatics of the past, sometimes they just don't understand that someone might want to console game or use an Apple computer because they don't want to wrestle with their damned machine so much to get it to do things. Conversely, it makes perfect sense for some people to willingly accept this "wrestling" in order to get a machine that has more potential functionality for a lesser cost.

What I do rather resent about some Apple users is this perception that "Apple is the BEST" while they are completely oblivious to the strengths of other platforms. Granted, Android fanatics aren't much better, and that rare breed of Windows fanatic are also equally bad. Apple fanatics can be among the most irritating though as I swear a lot of them buy Apple products on hype not actually knowing if it is the best product for them. It may well be but I strongly suspect that many Apple users would be happier with a competing product, but they just don't know it.

abimocorde

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013
Still laughing@ http://techcrunch.com/2013/09/20/chipworks-apples-a7-chip-made-by-samsung-m7-co-processor-by-nxp/

Status
Not open for further replies.