iPhone 5s unknown usb device (device descriptor request failed)

ms5555

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
I cannot get my iPhone 5s to connect to my pc via usb. It just started doing this today. It's showing unknown usb device error popup and in device manager under usb devices the description is unknown usb device (device descriptor request failed), and if you look under properties and stuff it shows error code 43. This is all over the net but none of the fixes work.

What's really weird is my wife's iPhone 5c is fine, I can connect to that, and I can also connect my phone to my laptop which is windows 7 however.

I tried updating itunes, I also did a scan for hardware drivers and selected the program files\common files\apple\drivers folder but it said my device already had the latest driver, I tried disabling and uninstalling it through device manager, I tried unplugging every usb device from my pc except mouse and keyboard. One forum even said try turning off fast boot in power options so I tried that but no luck. I am not really sure what to do next. Any ideas?

My phone updated software this morning and so did my pc windows 10 did some updates. Not sure if that is relevant since phone and pc are working with other stuff, just not each other. iPhone is running ios 9.3.4 (13G35).

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
It may be related to the latest update, but I don't know that for sure - I hold off on the latest update and let other people deal with any bugs :lol:

OUt of curiosity, you are selecting 'trust this computer' on your phone when you attach it?

ms5555

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
No, the phone doesn't get that popup at all. I'm pretty sure it's some driver issue on my pc but what's so incredibly weird is the exact same cable and usb port syncs with my wife's iphone no issues. And my phone syncs with my laptop fine.