iPhone 6 Looks A Lot like iPad Air In Most Revealing Leak Yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

therogerwilco

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
Apple products you say?!

Too bad they're restricted, constrained, locked down, expensive, and carry sub-par hardware compared to the rest of the world.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
I'm not sure where people get off bashing the hardware. Typically Apple's CPU is best in class. The only thing it lacks is RAM, but given that Apple Apps are typically compiled rather than running inside a virtual machine, like Android Apps, it hardly matters. I'd be much more concerned about that, honestly. Not that the people griping have any idea what I just said. Having said that, I don't own an Apple, but not because they are bad, just that I'm cheap and tend to lose things.

therogerwilco

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
LOL Someone says Apple apps are typically compiled rather than running in a virtual machine.

Wow, you need to learn more about computers and how they work shark.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
I like my phones to be as fragile as possible, that's what I buy iPhone. Whoops, that 2 foot fall onto carpet shattered the screen... looks like I need to buy another!

condorxiii

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
LOL Someone says Apple apps are typically compiled rather than running in a virtual machine.

Wow, you need to learn more about computers and how they work shark.

No he's not, he's not accurate about the compiled part, but they are objective-C so he's right that they are not running in a JVM which Android apps do. I understand that Android does this to make it easy to port to any kind of CPU, APU, or SoC and keeps development easy but that does also increase the memory usage. Not interested in a comments section brawl but don't troll.

apone

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
@ southernshark

I'm not sure where people get off bashing the hardware. Typically Apple's CPU is best in class. The only thing it lacks is RAM, but given that Apple Apps are typically compiled rather than running inside a virtual machine, like Android Apps, it hardly matters. I'd be much more concerned about that, honestly. Not that the people griping have any idea what I just said. Having said that, I don't own an Apple, but not because they are bad, just that I'm cheap and tend to lose things.

That's the problem; Apple fans always downplay the importance of hardware until Apple says it's important. Case in point, both Tim Cook & Apple have publicly declared that large smartphone screens are "ridiculous" and "3.7-inches is just right" when asked how they plan to compete against the trend of growing screens & phablets. Look at what size screen the iPhone 6 is sporting?...

clikes2004

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
I'm not sure where people get off bashing the hardware. Typically Apple's CPU is best in class.

Apple's phones are alright in terms of price/performance because of the 2 year agreements but their desktops and laptops are way overpriced. Apple is the biggest scam company ever made. Most of the people that I know that buy Apple only buy it because they want to seem cool. Unfortunately they have no tech knowledge and don't understand that Apple desktops and laptops literally have the same hardware as PCs. I think people just like the chassis and are willing to pay double for it to be popular. One person I know just paid $1000 for a macbook that only has a dual core i5 @ 1.4ghz. I just bough a laptop 2 years ago that had an i5 @ 2.5ghz for only $450. Apple fans are so arrogant.

Steveymoo

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
All I'm seeing is a bunch of tired old cliches, bashing on Mac users. I'm a lifelong PC user, but I appreciate why people pay a premium for Apple products. Their customer service is second to none, the OS is low maintenance, they have decent warranties, and they simply just work without having to f**k around with settings. Some people just want the luxury of owning a computer, without the hassle of having to maintain it. Simple as.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I'm not sure where people get off bashing the hardware. Typically Apple's CPU is best in class.

Apple's phones are alright in terms of price/performance because of the 2 year agreements but their desktops and laptops are way overpriced. Apple is the biggest scam company ever made. Most of the people that I know that buy Apple only buy it because they want to seem cool. Unfortunately they have no tech knowledge and don't understand that Apple desktops and laptops literally have the same hardware as PCs. I think people just like the chassis and are willing to pay double for it to be popular. One person I know just paid $1000 for a macbook that only has a dual core i5 @ 1.4ghz. I just bough a laptop 2 years ago that had an i5 @ 2.5ghz for only $450. Apple fans are so arrogant.

Have you recently seen prices for MB Air or Pro? Especially great deals with refurb or last years model. You are just stuck in the past. My only Apple complaint is their over charge for memory. The rest is fine and hardware/software synergy is 2nd to none.

HSBC

Reputable
Aug 7, 2014
Apple is the biggest scam company ever made. Most of the people that I know that buy Apple only buy it because they want to seem cool. Unfortunately they have no tech knowledge and don't understand that Apple desktops and laptops literally have the same hardware as PCs.

You are making an awful lot of assumptions here. Your tirade reeks of jealousy and hate and your perceived sense of superiority over "Mac users" is ludicrous.

I think people just like the chassis and are willing to pay double for it to be popular

Ultrabooks on the PC also cost significantly more. You do realize people are willing to pay a premium for thin and light desktops with good build quality right? Weight is huge for someone who frequently carries the laptop, and that's an ultrabook target market.

One person I know just paid $1000 for a macbook that only has a dual core i5 @ 1.4ghz. I just bough a laptop 2 years ago that had an i5 @ 2.5ghz for only $450.

So you are comparing a Mabook air with your desktop replacement laptop when they have completely form and weight. You seem to be the one who is ignorant here.

Apple fans are so arrogant.

Read what you wrote. You are the one who is arrogant because you have a false sense of superiority over Apple users.

By the way I use a PC and an Android phone. I am a fan of technology and am just sick of the tireless bashing against Apple users.

Let people use what they want.

Patrick Tobin

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013
One person I know just paid $1000 for a macbook that only has a dual core i5 @ 1.4ghz. I just bough a laptop 2 years ago that had an i5 @ 2.5ghz for only $450. Apple fans are so arrogant.

I'm a PC guy but please do clue me in on how you got your $450 i5 notebook from 2 years ago to achieve 12 hours of battery life on a single charge and weigh less than 2.5 pounds. Macbook Air is designed to be an ultra portable device with enough power to do day to day work without sacrificing much in the way of performance untethered by power cords.

Sounds like you're the arrogant one. Do your research.

They don't have a choice. It's a design decision I never understood. Apple is the company which made its Macs DPI-aware. If you plug in a 20" monitor to a Mac running at 1920x1080 resolution, it automatically calculates the DPI and adjust the size of your fonts so that a 12 pt font on your screen will be the same size as when it's printed on paper. It's brilliant, seamless, and The Right Way to do it.

Then they totally abandoned that approach when they made iOS. The iPod and later the iPhone and iPad rely on a fixed ratio between screen size and screen resolution. That's why when they went with retina they doubled the resolution in both directions - it allowed them to maintain the proper UI and font sizes by simply doubling everything. The iPhone 5 got it's "larger" screen simply by tacking on extra rows of pixels at one end - its width is still the same as all previous iPhones.

The catch to this approach is that if you go with in-between sizes like the iPad mini or the larger iPhone 6, it breaks down. To maintain consistent PPI and thus font and UI element size, you have to use oddball resolutions. Otherwise the fonts and UI elements are too small or too big because they can't scale with PPI.

Android actually works the way the Macs do. There's an internal setting set by the manufacturer which tells Android what your PPI is, and it'll scale the fonts and UI elements appropriately. You can have 1920x1080 resolution on a 5" phone, a 7" tablet, a 10" tablet, or a 12" tablet, and it will just work. Everything scales seamlessly. If you're rooted, you can even change this value if, say, your eyes are getting old and you need bigger fonts and icons. (Very few people print from or do desktop publishing on their phones, so strict adherence to DPI scaling for font sizes isn't as important.)

Apple's GPU is best in class. Their CPU is about average, usually surpassed by CPUs in Android devices within a month or two. That Android is able to do this despite running in a VM is pretty remarkable.

Android 4.4 gives you the option to use Dalvik (the VM) or ART binaries. With ART, the program is compiled when installed. Takes up more storage, but runs quicker, and preserves the hardware-independence advantages of Dalvik. ART is going to be the standard from Android 5.0 and onwards.

A better example is resolution. For years, the iPad had the worst resolution and DPI of any tablet out there. Apple fans always dismissed it when it was brought up as an advantage of Android tablets, saying the iPad's resolution was "good enough." I never saw it mentioned in reviews either, even though it's pretty obvious and distracting if you've ever tried to read text on a pre-retina iPad. (I had a 12.1" 1440x1050 tablet PC long before the iPad ever came out, and I considered it marginally acceptable for representing a printed page on the screen.)

Then the retina iPad came out, and suddenly resolution and DPI became the most important thing in the world to Apple fans. And every comparison had to mention how the Android tablets had worse resolution. I don't really care about iOS vs Android. I try to pick the best tool for the job and user, and I've recommended plenty of iOS products as well as Android products. But it's this flip-flopping of Apple fans which really makes me distrust their reviews and opinions.

TheBricktator

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
Just want to say, as a user that has built his own PC rig and also owns a Macbook Pro, I got a retailed $2000+ Macbook for close to $1500 from the Apple Refurbished Store, and it has an i7, 8 gigs of RAM, a dedicated GPU, a decent sized SSD, and a high resolution screen, which works tremendously well with Apple's OSX, so I don't think they are really as overpriced as they seem, because an equivalent Ultrabook would cost near the same price, and you wouldn't legally have an operating system which runs smoothly and beautifully like OSX does (in my opinion). I do think the MacBook Air is slightly overpriced for the specs, but it is extremely thin and light, and no matter how low the specs are, it still runs well with OSX, unlike a similar laptop would be slow in Windows, from my experience.

And whether or not anyone wants to admit it, you are essentially paying for the name brand on your computer/phone. It's not like this is only an Apple thing, anything you buy has a brand that is more expensive and more popular, and in some cases it may not be really worth buying the name brand if you are willing to dish out an unlimited amount of cash. But when I buy Apple (computers anyway, I have a different opinion about the phones), I am usually assured that the computer, is gong to run well and reliably (with the exception of getting really hot sometimes lol).

apone

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
@ Solandri

A better example is resolution. For years, the iPad had the worst resolution and DPI of any tablet out there. Apple fans always dismissed it when it was brought up as an advantage of Android tablets, saying the iPad's resolution was "good enough." I never saw it mentioned in reviews either, even though it's pretty obvious and distracting if you've ever tried to read text on a pre-retina iPad. (I had a 12.1" 1440x1050 tablet PC long before the iPad ever came out, and I considered it marginally acceptable for representing a printed page on the screen.)

Then the retina iPad came out, and suddenly resolution and DPI became the most important thing in the world to Apple fans. And every comparison had to mention how the Android tablets had worse resolution. I don't really care about iOS vs Android. I try to pick the best tool for the job and user, and I've recommended plenty of iOS products as well as Android products. But it's this flip-flopping of Apple fans which really makes me distrust their reviews and opinions.[/quote]

And Retina Display isn't even anything cutting edge. It's IPS (In Plane Switching) technology which Hitachi created back in 1996 for ultra-high end LCD workstations (to correct poor viewing angles and color problems).

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
By the way I use a PC and an Android phone. I am a fan of technology and am just sick of the tireless bashing against Apple users.

Let people use what they want.
I agree with this. I love technology. If it works properly, that's just all the better.

My only real issue with Apple, is that they won't allow people to buy OSX and install it on non-Apple computers. I'd happily hand them some money just to be able to run OSX without buying an Apple branded computer.

game junky

Distinguished
Nothing earth shattering but like all the rest of iPhone users, I am interested to see the new form factor and figure out which size is right for my needs. I think I am leaning more to the 4.7" since I have an iPad Mini I use daily, but I know a lot of people who are wanting the big 5.5". I'll play with it when it hits the local brick and mortars but I feel good about the small step up instead of the big leap in screen size. I am also interested to see if I decide to go with a 128GB model. I know that sounds ridiculous but I know I use my phone for Music in my car and I have a massive collection. With the iOS in the Car releasing in the 4th quarter with more aftermarket units, it's going to open the door for people wanting more space to accommodate more media on the go.

cmi86

Distinguished
Didn't apple sit there and s**t on all the other manufacturers for having a large screen saying their screen was the perfect size and there was no logical reason to have a larger screen ?? Now look they are joining the crowd to be competitive... The thing is they are not joining the crowd just because of screen size, they are joining the crowd because sales are dropping. People are starting to realize that apple products are over priced and over hyped, challenge me if you want but it is the truth. The iphone 5s barely competes with an s3... cmon apple. In the desktop segment the mac pro was offered with a maximum of 2 5770's not in crossfire while the 7xxx generation was available for PC's and were talking about a $2,500+ supposedly "professional grade" desktop. The honest truth is apple has based them selves of of a highly opinion based marketing system that catered to people who would buy anything with a half eaten apple on the back regardless of how inferior the tech specs or price simply because they believe the marketing hype. people are staring to wise up and apple stocks are dropping like a rock, truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.