iPhone 6s, 6s Plus Revealed: New A9 SoC, New 3D Touch, Shoots 4K Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
I want to know the feeling of the guys who purchased last year`s iPhone 6 that their phone is already a thing of the past .... Personally i think this 1 year cycle is utterly retarded and it should slow down to 2 or 3 years.

Interestingly absent are the actual stats that confirm (or not) their performance claims. If there are indeed such stats, a link would be nice.
Not a word about the hardware downgrades, like the battery.
Finally, can't wait for the article that praises the new Apple Pencil. "If you see a stylus, they blew it" was Apple's logo until yesterday. Apparently, Apple blew it, too, by it's own standards. But hey, they also said nobody needs bigger screens and such other stuff (same stuff they've been playing catch-up with for the last few years).

bunta714

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Anyone else think those prices are ridiculously low? $199? Hell the iPhone 6 16 GB was like >$900 here in Aus!

Those prices are with a 2 year contract. The unlocked phones will probably be the same as the last ones ($650 for lowest 6s, $750 for lowest 6s+).

Geokodax

Reputable
Sep 9, 2015
I am almost sure that these prices are meant for users that upgrade and give their iPhone 6/6+ back to apple or some kind of mobile carrier plan. The fact that it notes that the prices are the same as iPhone 6/6+ was when it was launced means that it would be >800€ and >900€ probably, at least in europe.

Mac266

Honorable
Mar 12, 2014

Ah of cause. I never think about contracts.

luvmich

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
The short year long cycle of new Iphones is because the phones only last one year. $800 phone cant handle a little moisture without spending $300 to fix. Buy a Moto G for $179 and it can handle moisture or even being submerged. If you want to play games get a PC. If you want to travel get the Moto G Global;)

sna

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010

na , I will stay with my Samsung Note 4 , thanks

InvalidError

Titan

I do not mind the yearly refresh cycle as long as they come with significant hardware updates and upgrades. Tons of people are locked into subsidized phone contracts of one form or another and cannot change phones within 2-3 years from the initial purchase anyway.

People using unlocked/contract-free phones are always free to skip a few model years when the model-of-the-year fails to induce an urge to upgrade.

When people stop buying into almost yearly upgrades, manufacturers will consolidate more product lines, drop product lines that overlap too much and put the rest on longer interleaved update cycles. Samsung and a handful of other manufacturers have had to rethink their product portfolio and update cycles due to falling sales already.

Justin Crapola

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
I want to know the feeling of the guys who purchased last year`s iPhone 6 that their phone is already a thing of the past

Probably the same thing that last year's Samsung phone buyers think of this year's Samsung phone. And the same thing last year's Wintel PC buyer thinks of this years Wintel PC's.

Personally i think this 1 year cycle is utterly retarded and it should slow down to 2 or 3 years.

Here's a crazy idea! If you don't want this year's model phone, don't buy this year's model phone! I know, crazy, but, it just might work!

We live in a capitalistic society. Which means that companies need to sell product. Huh! Who would have figured. Do you really think that the 3 year old iPhone 5 would be competitive today? Seriously? If you were at the store and had the choice of buying an iPhone 5 or a current Samsung, which would you buy?

Sheesh! What a silly comment!

BTW, I have an iPhone 6. I will probably wait until next year, for the presumed iPhone 7, before upgrading.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
I want to know the feeling of the guys who purchased last year`s iPhone 6 that their phone is already a thing of the past

Probably the same thing that last year's Samsung phone buyers think of this year's Samsung phone. And the same thing last year's Wintel PC buyer thinks of this years Wintel PC's.

Personally i think this 1 year cycle is utterly retarded and it should slow down to 2 or 3 years.

Here's a crazy idea! If you don't want this year's model phone, don't buy this year's model phone! I know, crazy, but, it just might work!

We live in a capitalistic society. Which means that companies need to sell product. Huh! Who would have figured. Do you really think that the 3 year old iPhone 5 would be competitive today? Seriously? If you were at the store and had the choice of buying an iPhone 5 or a current Samsung, which would you buy?

Sheesh! What a silly comment!

BTW, I have an iPhone 6. I will probably wait until next year, for the presumed iPhone 7, before upgrading.
I wasn`t bashing only Apple on this one, i know ll the manufacturers are doing it.

i know i don`t have to buy the next thing but due to this 1 year refresh the support for the older models goes down the drain much faster. And we are forced to upgrade because our perfectly running phone "can`t handle it" anymore.

For example my old Galaxy S3, that i`ve already changed, suddenly couldn`t handle even Facebook right lately.. and what the hell i`m not talking about games here, i`m talking about a stupid app that shows me pictures and comments ... at launch it was perfectly able to do it, now it was taking around 10-20 seconds just to load the damn app ...and this on a clean ROM. Galaxy S5 seems to be already left out of the new software update ... things are looking quite stupid.

Now i`m perfectly fine on my Lumia 930 but we`ll see how it will last.

Justin Crapola

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013

I have occasionally jokingly suggested that Intel makes their processors slowly degrade over time so that you would get dissatisfied with your old computer and buy a new one. Ultimately, vendors want you to buy new stuff. Duh!

I have no interest in a "religious" war. Some people like Android, fine. If you like Apple, fine. I once had an Android. I had an HTC Hero with Android 1.5. My iPhone 6 is my first iPhone, so I am not that familiar with how well older iPhones phones are supported in the past. But, to my understanding, Apple has made iOS 9 upgrade go smoother than previous upgrades. So that if I'm happy with my 6 now, I shouldn't hit any obsolescence issues any time soon.

Since I'm not all that up on Android, I can't help you with your issues. But, generally speaking, I would agree with you that you shouldn't have obsolescence issues on a phone newer than 2 years.

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
I'll stay with my 3 year old Lumia 1020, with a very good camera, and does its daily job well, still fits with my lifestyle. I mean after 6months, maybe February next year, and iPhone 7? Should I shell out another $750, with the same (or just faster) phone? More revolutionary than this one! (NOT!). Let me know if there would be a better battery life that will last for at least for a week, and I would buy one.

Gnory

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
the people who wanted to buy iphone 6 and didn't do it is lucky. They could buy a iPhone 6s with almost the same price as iphone 6.

Migit78

Reputable
Aug 23, 2014

To be fair, that's the with a 2 year contract phone, probably with a $100+ a month plan.
If it makes you feel better about it, the outright price in Aus this time is $1079 for the 16gb model. 64Gb is $1229 and 128GB at $1379

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
This 70% faster cpu is how fast in countable measurable comparable clock cycles and cores?

Sounds like bull**it with a fishy smell and rainbow colours.

vood00child

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2006
New camera looking good. A few more mega pixels, and with the other improvements to image quality, bigger file sizes, not bad at all. 4k video is a nice plus, glad there is a microsd card slot to expand the storage, even on the 128GB model. Oh wait........nvm :-( On any phone, if doing 4k video there should really be a memory card slot. After the OS, all your apps, games, music / videos (if not streaming) reduces the amount of photos and videos you can take. I cant imagine people uploading the 4k video on a data plan or even wifi if the video is over 5mins. I am definitely interested to see how all this pans out, and also the thoughts of others.

I wonder how many people are gonna buy the 16GB model though......

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I want to know the feeling of the guys who purchased last year`s iPhone 6 that their phone is already a thing of the past .... Personally i think this 1 year cycle is utterly retarded and it should slow down to 2 or 3 years.

Give them time, they'll run out of things to update since it'll be pointless. Oh wait...that's right...Apple users probably wouldn't know the difference. Yeah, I don't see this trend of releasing a new phone every year going away, ever. Regardless, they WILL make a bigger profit by an annual release. Besides, their competition keeps releasing better stuff nowadays, so they've gotta keep up. But hey, I still love my Note 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS