iPhone Achieves Highest Ever U.S. Smartphone Market Share

Status
Not open for further replies.

halcyon

Splendid
Well, it just tells us what we already know. ...that us Americans are more simple-minded than the rest of the world. We're also behind in math and science. Coincidence? Maybe not. We also lead the world in gun violence. :(

Well, at least I corrected my part of the mistake and have an S3 and Note 2. Zak, thanks for reminding us that America ain't doing so good.

G

dead on point, have a note 2 also. Boring apple UI left swipe right swipe and you are done.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
[citation][nom]Halcyon[/nom]Well, it just tells us what we already know. ...that us Americans are more simple-minded than the rest of the world. We're also behind in math and science. Coincidence? Maybe not. We also lead the world in gun violence. Well, at least I corrected my part of the mistake and have an S3 and Note 2. Zak, thanks for reminding us that America ain't doing so good.[/citation]

Give it a rest bud, its an easy to use phone that supplies you with applications that assist you. Its fast, responsive and does exactly what you want of it.

I've owned an Android phone and yea, lot more customizable, loved it, but the program "lagged" behind. When switching screens or swiping it would at times chop up, lower frame rate. Yet this thing was supposed to have better hardware than the iPhone.

I own an iPhone now, and at first it bugged the hell out of me without its "customizability" but now I overlook that. Being in an AMT course at Canadore College (Aircraft Maintenance Technician) I just need a phone that works properly and quickly.

The iphone does that. Just because everyone is buying one doesn't make people stupid, they just want a good looking phone that works.

I am switching back to the Galaxy when my contracts up - but only because I don't like supporting a company that sues everyone. This phones been good to me, always fast, RARELY crashes, no viruses. But it also pissed me off sometimes, no flash support, can't do jack with it, can't "link" it to more than 1 computer, etc, etc.

And Zak, for the love of christ every Ad you have is either APPLE ROCKS or ANDROID SUCKS. Why is Toms allowing a fanboy to spread the news?

Boot Zak.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Zak reports news for Apple... it's unfortunate some of you are too stupid to figure that one out.[/citation]

His "news" is news the same way Fox is "fair and balanced"

G

STOP THESE USELESS AND IRRELEVANT 'NEWS'.

It's all about iphone this, iphone that. STOP

excella1221

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/BlackBerry-10-Browser-iOS-6,news-16488.html
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/iOS-6.0.2-iPhone-Apple-Battery,news-16496.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Google-Cheap-Nexus-7-Tablet,19914.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Samsung-Cell-Phone-Smartphones-Nokia,19891.html

Of course, haters will only see what they want to see right?

new line

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012
Buying a smart phone should be left to smart people. Not the other way around. Otherwise only justification we have is a smart marketing strategy towards masses who doesn't even know what a smart phone is capable of. Intelligence is simply defined as ability to make a distinction. After apple claimed at the court that "consumers wouldn't know the difference between a samsung and an iphone at a retail envoranment" I really felt sorry for ios device owners because I suspected that they may not have realized that how insulting that statement is in terms of blatantly saying " a potential iphone customer does not have the brain capacity to understand the difference between two different brands, two different operating systems and most importantly wouldn't even read samsung logo printed all caps on front of the screen. What a shame. No wonder how the seeds of this corporate philosophy was actually planted in 1984 mac commercial throwing hammer on the movie screen BS. Fast forward 29 years now and I see all Isheep audience sitting on those theater chairs having android guy coming and smashing the screen of their brainwashed perception of what apple is all about. In terms of europe and US comparison, I guess other commentators already made the point, no need to harp on over and over again the same fact.

halcyon

Splendid
I've baught every model iPhone sold (baught the 5 for my wife). None of them is on par with the S3 or Galaxy Note 2 unless you just prefer a super-simple UI or something much smaller. It does take ICS or JellyBean for Android to effectively compete IMO, but that's just my opinion. I know its easier for the America majority to look to the iPhone rather than figure out which Android devices are truly superior (as not all are). I just kinda feel bad for the ignorant iPhone crowd. ...and No, that is not to say that all iPhone users are ignorant. ...many are just simple-minded and believe the Apple logo offers some superiority.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
Not surprising considering it is about 10 weeks from launch, and then you throw in pre orders. Once the faithful has their iphone 5 it should go back to normal android domination. My wife had an iphone 4 and now has a Galaxy S2. She won't be going back. I have a note 2. Why there is any debate over iphone vs Samsung is puzzling. Apple surley is a different breed. I saw a protective iphone case that had a big hole cut in it so one could see the apple logo. That is funny. Reminds me of that commercial " if it looks the same, how will everyone know that I've upgraded?" Apple is still trying to hold onto "if you don't have an iphone..... well you don't have an iphone" bullshit marketing. Good luck with that when the competition is producing a superior product. I have a note 2 and now have stopped letting iphone owners look at or touch my phone. I am not rude or anything, I just tell people that I am getting over a cold.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]Halcyon[/nom]I've baught every model iPhone sold (baught the 5 for my wife). None of them is on par with the S3 or Galaxy Note 2 unless you just prefer a super-simple UI or something much smaller. It does take ICS or JellyBean for Android to effectively compete IMO, but that's just my opinion. I know its easier for the America majority to look to the iPhone rather than figure out which Android devices are truly superior (as not all are). I just kinda feel bad for the ignorant iPhone crowd. ...and No, that is not to say that all iPhone users are ignorant. ...many are just simple-minded and believe the Apple logo offers some superiority.[/citation]

I develop for both Android and iOS and Android is a POS. Only problem is if I point out any problems
with Android on Tom's my post will get down voted not because what I say is wrong but simply because it will be deemed "anti Android" or "pro Apple".

S3? Oh yeah, that's the phone that's too stupid to play audio in my car through the 1/8" AUX jack while connected to a Bluetooth device at the same time (Google it if you don't believe me - it's a well-known issue). Two popular tasks in a car and the S3 can't even do them at the same time. Meanwhile my iPhone 5 handles this perfectly and can even stream audio to one BT device while also connecting to another BT handsfree device at the same time, and switches between them seamlessly as calls come in.

Only good version of Android is JB, but nobody uses it (barely at 6%). ICS is terrible because of how they implemented ASLR (which they fixed in JB). That means the only secure version of Android is JB. Too bad that 94% of users are on an older versions and probably won't get updated.

This is also why developers (like myself) flock to iOS at a ratio of 7:3 vs Android. No developer wants to code for the fragmented mess that's Android. If I want to code for the latest features in JB then I have a very small potential market of customers. If I want to hit the largest possible customer base then I have to code for an older API level and miss out on all the latest & greatest features.

I could continue, but I'd be wasting my breath on people who refuse to believe Android has issues or that there are any aspects of iOS or the iPhone 5 that are superior (and there are a LOT).

And I still find it funny that whiners complain about Apple articles yet they can't resist reading them and even wasting the time to post. I guess it's too damn hard to simply avoid clicking the article in the first place.

Ironslice

Honorable
May 1, 2012
@ericburnby

You are so extremely biased it's not even funny. You fail to mention the hundreds of problems that the iPhone has and point out one problem that the S3 has as if it's proof that the S3 is worse. How about the fact that you can't talk and go on the internet with the iPhone 5? A very simple thing that any, even the worst android devices can do; and the S3 does magnificently. The iPhone 5 also does not have NFC, DLNA, and numerous features such as a MicroSD slot, an LED notification light, smart stay, flash support. See what I mean? The iPhone 5 is not the new God that is going to save you from the apocalypse. It's a phone and it's also not the best one.

Meanwhile you are so narrow-minded and blind that you fail to see that the amount of apps on Google Play is catching up to the App Store at a lightning-fast pace, even though iOS is the older operating system. There's a reason the iPhone 5 doesn't sell in the rest of the world, it's an overpriced POS. The only reason it sells in the U.S. is because carriers pay so much to subsidize it for simple minded individuals such as yourself.

I could continue, but I'd be wasting my breath on people who refuse to believe iOS has issues or that there are any aspects of Android or the S3, Nexus 4, etc. that are superior (and there are a LOT).

hppart

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]I develop for both Android and iOS and Android is a POS. Only problem is if I point out any problems with Android on Tom's my post will get down voted not because what I say is wrong but simply because it will be deemed "anti Android" or "pro Apple".S3? Oh yeah, that's the phone that's too stupid to play audio in my car through the 1/8" AUX jack while connected to a Bluetooth device at the same time (Google it if you don't believe me - it's a well-known issue). Two popular tasks in a car and the S3 can't even do them at the same time. Meanwhile my iPhone 5 handles this perfectly and can even stream audio to one BT device while also connecting to another BT handsfree device at the same time, and switches between them seamlessly as calls come in.Only good version of Android is JB, but nobody uses it (barely at 6%). ICS is terrible because of how they implemented ASLR (which they fixed in JB). That means the only secure version of Android is JB. Too bad that 94% of users are on an older versions and probably won't get updated.This is also why developers (like myself) flock to iOS at a ratio of 7:3 vs Android. No developer wants to code for the fragmented mess that's Android. If I want to code for the latest features in JB then I have a very small potential market of customers. If I want to hit the largest possible customer base then I have to code for an older API level and miss out on all the latest & greatest features.I could continue, but I'd be wasting my breath on people who refuse to believe Android has issues or that there are any aspects of iOS or the iPhone 5 that are superior (and there are a LOT).And I still find it funny that whiners complain about Apple articles yet they can't resist reading them and even wasting the time to post. I guess it's too damn hard to simply avoid clicking the article in the first place.[/citation]

Apple is gay like your momma!

kdw75

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
When someone starts complaining about not being able to customize the iPhone the first though I have is that they must be unemployed or some kid with a bunch of free time. It's a freakin phone! Do you complain about not being able to customize the dash layout on your car? The iPhone works quickly and easily with minimal learning. That is why I buy them. I use my phone to get stuff done in a hurry. Not play around with it because I am bored.

dwesely

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007
I always enjoy seeing how the trolls on Tom's come out in unison whenever there is any Apple related topic. In every case, without fail Android fanboys suggest that people who own any i-device have some sort of superiority complex somehow which is ironic since at the same time they post about how stupid another group of people are based on what phone they purchase. Hypocrites.

dauntekong

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
iPhone Achieves Highest Ever U.S. Smartphone Market Share

iPhone Achieves Lowest Ever Global Smartphone Market Share

Get the picture...?

dwesely

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007
[citation][nom]Ironslice[/nom]@ericburnbyYou are so extremely biased it's not even funny. You fail to mention the hundreds of problems that the iPhone has and point out one problem that the S3 has as if it's proof that the S3 is worse. How about the fact that you can't talk and go on the internet with the iPhone 5? A very simple thing that any, even the worst android devices can do; and the S3 does magnificently. The iPhone 5 also does not have NFC, DLNA, and numerous features such as a MicroSD slot, an LED notification light, smart stay, flash support. See what I mean? The iPhone 5 is not the new God that is going to save you from the apocalypse. It's a phone and it's also not the best one.Meanwhile you are so narrow-minded and blind that you fail to see that the amount of apps on Google Play is catching up to the App Store at a lightning-fast pace, even though iOS is the older operating system. There's a reason the iPhone 5 doesn't sell in the rest of the world, it's an overpriced POS. The only reason it sells in the U.S. is because carriers pay so much to subsidize it for simple minded individuals such as yourself.I could continue, but I'd be wasting my breath on people who refuse to believe iOS has issues or that there are any aspects of Android or the S3, Nexus 4, etc. that are superior (and there are a LOT).[/citation]

iPhone 5 does allow for simultaneous talk and internet. That feature is cell provider dependent (AT&T is the only one that I know that supports it where I live). Most people don't give two shits about the "features" you listed. Hardcore users might enjoy them but the masses don't even know what NFC or DLNA is. Also, mobile Flash was discontinued a long time ago. Do your homework before posting your nonsense in a public forum and looking like a fool with a bias.

If you fanboys had any coherent thoughts rattling around in your group-think oriented domes you'd realize each of these platforms make the others better - it's called competition. If you understood the origin of the iPhone and Google collaboration on it you'd probably also understand that without the iPhone you wouldn't be able to have your Android device you use today.

dwesely

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007
[citation][nom]kingnoobe[/nom]You do realize you're also being a hippocrit right dwesely.I personally hate apple, but this bashing on everything get the hell over it already. Don't want to read an article about apple don't click the link pretty simple. That goes for both of you damn fanboys android and apple alike. The apple/android fanboys are nothing but sheep.And so are the American bashers, nothing but stupid damn sheep. That's at you halycon.[/citation]

While I don't think you know what hypocrite means. You're spot on with your other two comments, however.

baoson

Honorable
Dec 12, 2012
The other day, I was showing off some of the tricks on my Optimus G running ICS to a group of co-workers who use iphone 4s and 5. I believe by the end of the presentation, I found many jaws on the ground.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]sacre[/nom]Give it a rest bud, its an easy to use phone that supplies you with applications that assist you. Its fast, responsive and does exactly what you want of it.I've owned an Android phone and yea, lot more customizable, loved it, but the program "lagged" behind. When switching screens or swiping it would at times chop up, lower frame rate. Yet this thing was supposed to have better hardware than the iPhone.I own an iPhone now, and at first it bugged the hell out of me without its "customizability" but now I overlook that. Being in an AMT course at Canadore College (Aircraft Maintenance Technician) I just need a phone that works properly and quickly.The iphone does that. Just because everyone is buying one doesn't make people stupid, they just want a good looking phone that works.I am switching back to the Galaxy when my contracts up - but only because I don't like supporting a company that sues everyone. This phones been good to me, always fast, RARELY crashes, no viruses. But it also pissed me off sometimes, no flash support, can't do jack with it, can't "link" it to more than 1 computer, etc, etc.And Zak, for the love of christ every Ad you have is either APPLE ROCKS or ANDROID SUCKS. Why is Toms allowing a fanboy to spread the news?Boot Zak.[/citation]
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/iOS-6.0.2-iPhone-Apple-Battery,news-16496.html
See, not every article Zak Islam writes is pro Apple. He is obviously the Apple beat writer, but somehow when the articles he writes that reflect negatively about Apple, which are quite a few, people never comment on how it was Zak that wrote them. He has also written quite positive articles on Android. The problem is, as you have pointed out at the beginning of your comment, so many people have this irrationale hatred of Apple that they project that hatred on the person who covers them.

You made some quite objective points of view in your post, so don't follow the bigoted masses on letting your dislike of Apple's practices, which is completely valid as Apple does run roughshod over other companies, make you hate the person who is employed to write articles for a tech web site about Apple which, whether people like it or not, is a leading tech company.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]His "news" is news the same way Fox is "fair and balanced"[/citation]
Your idiocy is surpreme. He writes nothing but what the source material says, and as I linked in my previous comment, he writes articles that reflect poorly on Apple as well, quite numerous as a matter of fact. It's just that the bigots such as yourself never pay attention to the author line in those articles and pretend as if Zak doesn't write them.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]excella1221[/nom]http://www.tomsguide.com/us/BlackB [...] 16488.htmlhttp://www.tomsguide.com/us/iOS-6. [...] 16496.htmlhttp://www.tomshardware.com/news/G [...] 19914.htmlhttp://www.tomshardware.com/news/S [...] 19891.htmlOf course, haters will only see what they want to see right?[/citation]
It's amazing how the bigots will downvote posts that give proof positive they are wrong. People don't like having a mirror shown on their idiocy.

Status
Not open for further replies.