Question Iphone Hotspot Blocking Steam And Discord

Mar 23, 2020
So i have been using my iphone hotspot to game on steam for over a year now... just today i plugged it in like every day to play but steam and discord wont go online at all, on discord i just get RTC connnecting when trying to join any voice channel and steam just says retry connection or start in offline mode. at first i thought this could be my firewalls or something considering every other app on my computer that uses internet works fine but upon plugging my roomates iphone in on hotspot everything worked fine... anyone know why my phone is blocking those two apps? cant for the life of me figure it out :(

Mar 23, 2020
Try to turn off the firewall in your pc and see if it makes a difference. The firewall has a mode it uses on public hotspot that pretty much only allows web traffic. If it is running in that mode it will block things that use other ports.

I have tried completely disabling firewalls with no luck, also wouldnt explain why my mates hotspot on the same mobile network would work and mine wouldnt

When you connect to a different hotspot windows is too "smart" and detects it as a another network and assigns different rules sometimes. Makes it hard to troubleshoot sometimes.

I have not seen a hotspot that can limit ports even if you wanted to. If you are using the same cell provider then it is unlikely they would limit 1 account and not the other. This is why it makes me think it is the machine. What happens if you use your hotspot on the other persons machine. If it works there you are back to figuring out what is different in your machine.

If this was a more standard app I would say to boot a linux image and see if it works but it is tricky to get software installed on those boot images without messing up your actual windows install.

Mar 23, 2020
When you connect to a different hotspot windows is too "smart" and detects it as a another network and assigns different rules sometimes. Makes it hard to troubleshoot sometimes.

I have not seen a hotspot that can limit ports even if you wanted to. If you are using the same cell provider then it is unlikely they would limit 1 account and not the other. This is why it makes me think it is the machine. What happens if you use your hotspot on the other persons machine. If it works there you are back to figuring out what is different in your machine.

If this was a more standard app I would say to boot a linux image and see if it works but it is tricky to get software installed on those boot images without messing up your actual windows install.
Yeah it works in another computer fine but then just randomly today it started working fine again with my hotspot on my PC and only then after a restart of my PC it stopped working... I don’t understand how it can be there and then not be there NOTHING IS CHANGING ARRGGGHHH!!! This sucks :(

Jan 11, 2022
In case someone encounters this again, I was using iPhone 7 as a mobile hotspot to play in Steam and connect to Discord as well as Spotify, Genshin, any other third party programs. The fix I did was to go to your firewall settings and simply turn off and on your firewall.

For a comprehensive guide:
1.) press the windows button
2.) type firewall and click Firewall & network protection
3.) Click the network that has a (Active) on it. Example: Public Network (Active)
4.) Below Microsoft Defender Firewall, click on to turn it off, then click it again to turn it on
5.) Enjoy!

Latest posts