IPS Display for Console Gaming Advice

JHansPSN

Commendable
Feb 29, 2016
Hi there guys,

I just need some advice regarding monitors for console gaming. I have been looking at a number of displays around 27" for gaming on PS4/Laptop.

But I am having some difficulties finding the model I want. I have somewhat narrowed it down to 2 models:

BenQ BL2700HT
Samsung S27E91HL

I have used Samsung monitors in the past and enjoyed them, however the BenQ has some features that interest such as the black equalizer.

This will be my first time buying a HD monitor so I am looking for some advice, the last time I purchased my own was back in the days of CRT. :p

If it matters, I am from the UK and will be buying from Amazon. My budget is around £200.

Thanks for any help, it is much appreciated.

spagalicious

Distinguished
Couldn't find a review of the 27" model but pcmonitors.info did a review of the 23.8" variant. I was always impressed with Samsung's PLS panels, great vibrancy and contrast. Relatively inexpensive.

Here's a review of the S24:
https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/samsung-s24e390hl/
Pros
Strong gamma tracking straight from the box and a rich and varied image from the AD-PLS panel with generous sRGB coverage and relatively light matte screen surface (less grainy than competing AH-IPS models)

Pleasing static contrast and the inclusion of a new ‘Eye Saver Mode’ which certainly provided a comfortable viewing experience

Perceived motion performance was about as good as you can expect from a 60Hz LCD, there was very little input lag and the ability to comfortably run the monitor at ~75Hz

A unique design and more solid construction than its predecessor, plus the inclusion of a ‘JOG’ button for intuitive OSD navigation are welcome additions

Cons
Some slight adjustments required to colour channels to better balance things and some slight graininess from the screen surface in places – although nothing most users would find problematic

‘PLS glow’ is present, as expected, which eats away at peripheral dark detail. We also preferred to use ‘Warm2’ as an effective and relaxing ‘Low Blue Light’ setting without the hit in contrast and fixed brightness of ‘Eye Saver Mode’

Some very minor overshoot or extra trailing in places, but nothing that most users would notice – indeed if you’re sensitive enough to notice these things then 60Hz LCDs are likely not for you anyway

Very limited range of ports, ergonomic inflexibility with the stand and lack of VESA holes may put some users off

TRENDING THREADS