IPS Light Bleed - Should I RMA?

SirSavage

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
First off, this is the monitor I bought:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009483

Okay so I was aware of the issue with light bleed on IPS monitors before I bought this one. This one seemed to have great reviews with people saying there was very minimal light bleed. In fact, it has almost unanimously positive reviews everywhere I looked, hence why I picked it.

I've owned an IPS monitor before this, but it was a Dell Ultrasharp U2410, so obviously a much much better monitor, and it has absolutely NO light bleed. Maybe that set my expectations a bit too high with a more budget IPS, but I'm a bit disappointed with the amount of light bleed on this thing.

Newegg will accept it as a return and send me a new one, but I'm a bit worried that I might get another one that will be even worse. I've taken some pictures to show what I mean. I used a DSLR, which is incredibly sensitive to light, so I tried to pick some pictures that didn't exaggerate the amount of visible light coming through.

_MG_5434_zpsff21277d.jpg

_MG_5428_zpseb205059.jpg

_MG_5432_zps82cdd6f3.jpg

Okay, now the very last picture I had the sensitivity on the camera turned up a bit, so even though it doesn't look that bad in person, it just shows that there's more light bleed around. The first 2 pictures are more accurate to what it looks like in person.

So am I being too picky about this, or should I RMA it to try and get a better one? Honestly, the monitor looks awesome otherwise, and I'm super happy with it. But when I'm playing dark games or watching dark movies, it is definitely noticeable.

TL;DR = Look at the pictures, should I RMA this or put up with it?

aredflyingbird

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012

That's unacceptable, I had to RMA my IPS monitor 3 times in order to get one without light bleed. Yes, go ahead and RMA it until you get a "perfect" one.

SirSavage

Distinguished
May 28, 2011

Okay I thought it was a bit bad. I haaaaaaate waiting for this to be replaced, but I really hope I don't have to go through multiple ones. Hopefully the next one will be decent.

SirSavage

Distinguished
May 28, 2011

I have the brightness at 80. But even when I turned it down to 20 you could still clearly see light bleed. The contrast didn't help either.

SirSavage

Distinguished
May 28, 2011

I'm not expecting to get a perfect one, it's really just the bottom left corner that is so distracting. The other corners aren't THAT bad. What do you think the odds are the next one would be better than this though?

cyb34

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2008
I have the exact same problem with 2x DELL P2414H. Check out the album here http://imgur.com/a/vDHgk
They are more or less the same. The left side is mostly glow.

My office 2x DELL U2212HM have no bleed and barely any glow. Is that because of the grainy AG coating?

I prefer tons of grain rather than glow. At least the grain does not crush the blacks or contrast.