IPS or TN panels stricly for PS4 gaming

caideu

Reputable
Feb 26, 2015
Hello,

Could you please help me with this issue. I want to buy a 27'' monitor, strictly for PS4. I know the differences between the IPS and TN panels, I just do not know whether their qualities apply for PS4 as well as the PCs. (For example, more than 60hz wont do any difference, given the fact PS4 only runs in max 60hz for now). I am more interested in the IPS panel - ASUS MX279H, but Im also considering a TN Ilyama Prolite GB2773HS-GB1, which has 144HZ and 1ms.

The question is, should I concentrate on which picture I like best (IPS), or the technical advantage the TN panel has? Will I notice any difference on the PS4 between these two (for example in fast-paced games like call of duty or evolve)? (Im currently playing on TN 22'' 5ms acer monitor) Im also not interested in TVs.

Thank you for your opinions.

Solution
PS4 games have a maximum frame rate of 60, so a 144hz monitor strictly for a PS4 makes no sense. What will help is the 1ms response time of the Prolite, as this will eliminate ghosting. That said, the 5ms of the ASUS is hardly bad, and it's highly unlikely that you'll encounter ghosting.

An important aspect of the Prolite is the fact that it has no built-in speakers but it does have a 3.5mm headphone jack.

I would take the ASUS if it's strictly for PS4 use, otherwise, I'd take the Prolite.
PS4 games have a maximum frame rate of 60, so a 144hz monitor strictly for a PS4 makes no sense. What will help is the 1ms response time of the Prolite, as this will eliminate ghosting. That said, the 5ms of the ASUS is hardly bad, and it's highly unlikely that you'll encounter ghosting.

An important aspect of the Prolite is the fact that it has no built-in speakers but it does have a 3.5mm headphone jack.

I would take the ASUS if it's strictly for PS4 use, otherwise, I'd take the Prolite.

Solution

caideu

Reputable
Feb 26, 2015
Okay, thank you very much.

Also, Asus MX279H is the best 27'' IPS monitor that I could find in this price range. Do you have perhaps any other, better models, that you would recommend?

royalcrown

Distinguished
If there is something close to your budget, stretch it, the controls on the Asus will drive you nuts. For instance, the buttons are touch sensetive, so if you touch them wrong you get god knows what menu. They are too close together, a few of them serve multi functions. The grouping is stupid...for instance, the menu down arrow also controls volume depending on how you press it, and up is also brightness. If you hit the menu to enter a confirmation and do it incorrectly it exits. the speakers SUCK, don't believe ASUS.

That said, pic is great and gaming is really good on them. Acer has better OSD and controls however.

caideu

Reputable
Feb 26, 2015
Oh, thank you for pointing that out. So for example Acer B276HULymiidprz would be a good monitor?
By the way, is the PS4 compaticable with higher resolutions? In that case 2560x1440? Or should I look strictly at 1920x1080?