Question IPS screen on laptop is occasionally lagging/freezing ?

Apr 5, 2021
Hi,

I have a Thinkpad X260 (I5 6300U, 8GB of RAM and an SSD drive) with an IPS display, I'm not sure if this IPS panel belongs to the original spec of the laptop since I got it from someone who'd bought it from a vendor which specializes in secondhand/refurbished Thinkpads imported from overseas.

The display has a quirk: when on battery, it would occasionally lag/ for about 1-2 seconds. This behavior is particularly noticeable when the cursor has to move around a lot, or while scrolling. I don't think it's workload-related, since the screen could lag even during very light internet surfing (just Wikipedia and nothing else). It seems to happen more often when the battery has less power (I'd say about 55-60% or less), but this assessment is based rather on gut feeling, so I'm not very sure. When the screen is already hanging, I've noticed that a mouse input could un-hang it most of the times. Sometimes, the screen would outright freeze, and nothing moves, even though the laptop is still running (I know that because if I hit Shift repeatedly the sticky key prompt shows up and I hear the beep).

But, there are circumstances under which the screen would never lag/freeze, which is when the AC adapter is plugged in, or when I connect the laptop to an external monitor through HDMI (when the screen freezes, connecting the laptop to an external monitor will un-freeze it immediately, that's how I found out in the first place that the laptop didn't really hang, just the screen did). Also, I've never encountered any lagging/freezing while playing games (I'll try playing some movies next).

I've tried to pin-point the exact location of the problem through pure reasoning (I don't know a lot about computer): it might be power-related, since it seems to happen a bit more often when the battery is below 55-60% and it doesn't happen when the AC adapter is plugged in. But that doesn't sound right because when connected to an external monitor the screen never freezes or lags regardless of how many percent the battery is currently having or how big the workload the laptop is having to handle. So, a more probable explanation is the problem must have to do somehow with the panel (or the panel's connector) itself.

I've managed to clean up the laptop with AVG Tuneup, tried several clean install of Windows 10, and updated all the drivers, but the problem still persists.

Hope you guys could help me solve this rather annoying issue. Thanks!

P/S: or is this a CPU or heat-related issue? According to Open Hardware Monitor my laptop's temperature is often around or below 45-50 degree Celcius.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
I'd advise on making sure that the laptop is on the latest BIOS version. Then check to see what OS version the laptop is on at the time of writing. You should ideally be on version 20H2. Following that, use DDU and uninstall your GPU drivers, then manually reinstall with the latest from your GPU makers support site. If you're on the iGPU(processor) then use the latest drivers from Intel's support site, installing in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

You should also install all relevant drivers for your laptop sourcing them from Lenovo's support site, using the serial number at the bottom of your laptop.

Reactions: wanderindirk
Apr 5, 2021
I'd advise on making sure that the laptop is on the latest BIOS version. Then check to see what OS version the laptop is on at the time of writing. You should ideally be on version 20H2. Following that, use DDU and uninstall your GPU drivers, then manually reinstall with the latest from your GPU makers support site. If you're on the iGPU(processor) then use the latest drivers from Intel's support site, installing in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

You should also install all relevant drivers for your laptop sourcing them from Lenovo's support site, using the serial number at the bottom of your laptop.
Thank you for your reply.

My laptop is on the latest BIOS version, and my Windows 10 is also on version 20H2. I've tried to use DDU to uninstall my GPU driver (twice, in Safe mode), then manually and with an elevated command reinstall the latest GPU driver provided by Lenovo (since after the Intel scan the site said my laptop used a customized GPU driver and warned against installing a generic Intel driver). The issue seems to persist.

I've also tried playing a movie when the battery was about 50% until I had to plug in the AC adapter. During that one hour, the display never lagged.

What I fear the most is naturally hardware failure, and the laptop is out of warranty. I really really like this machine though, very well-built and it has everything I need in terms of features :(

TRENDING THREADS