IPS vs 144z

ck13

Commendable
Nov 25, 2016
Which better to buy ips or 144z.

Locol shop in my area sells a 23inch ips 75hz 1080p monitor for 150 dollars

And a 2nd hand benq xl2420b 144z cause 170 dollar.

Which is a better buy, i do casual gaming and watch movies with my girl.

nzalog

Respectable
BANNED
Jan 2, 2017
What is the primary use of your PC?

Edit: sorry you did mention it.

I'd read about the response time on the IPS but you'll probably still get motion blur. Overall the TN panel would give you better gaming experience.

It's pretty challenging playing games that require fast reaction times on older IPS panels (there are some newer 144HZ IPS).

Might actually be decent to watch movies on a TN panel too, especially action movies. IPS would have nicer colors though.

I say go with the benq..

BadBoyGreek

Distinguished
Personally, given the choice I'd go with the 144 Hz panel as this would also improve your movie watching experience during fast motion scenes. But do keep in mind that 144 Hz panels of the IPS variety are very expensive. 144 Hz TN panels like the Asus PG278Q, which I personally use, are a great middle point / budget option.

ck13

Commendable
Nov 25, 2016
I'm not a competitive gamer but i do play games.

I was thinking that the monitor is a solid deal for a 144hz however it is a 2nd hand also a old model 2012/2013
Haven't really tried IPS monitor but everytime I read reviews, people said that ips beats TN display and this is brandnew.

I'm currently using a 19.5inch 1600x900 led monitor with VGA display

BadBoyGreek

Distinguished

Modern TN panels are actually very capable compared to previous generations. Properly calibrated, you would be surprised how good a TN panel can look and perform. Yes, IPS does have some advantages, particularly in terms of viewing angles, but are they that far superior? IMHO, no.

When I settled on the Asus PG278Q, budget wasn't necessarily a consideration. I just didn't feel that IPS panels in the same category were that much better to justify the extra cost, and the fact that I found a good deal on the Asus just made it that much better.

If you can also get warranty support with a second hand one, that wouldn't be too shabby either.