Question IPS vs. TN 1440p

lukemurtagh1995

Commendable
Oct 7, 2017
Hello everyone,

I am on the hunt for a new monitor and I am looking for advice. My current monitor is an ASUS ROG Swift PG258Q 1920x1080p with a TN panel. I was thinking of upgrading to a 1440p panel to really take advantage of my GTX 1080. I am currently looking at these two:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/XvfmP6/asus-monitor-pg279q

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...t-pg278qr-270-2560x1440-144hz-monitor-pg278qr

Both are very similar except one is a TN panel and the other is an IPS panel. I know IPS panels have better colours whilst TN panels have a lower response time. How noticeable is the difference in response times? I mostly play strategy games like Total War, MMOs such as Star Wars: The Old Republic, and occasionally FPSs such as Star Wars Battlefront 2, and Battlefield 1 and V. Also, how bad are IPS panels nowadays regarding back light bleed? I am nervous about getting an IPS panel in case the back light bleed is severe.

Edit: Also, what is the colour difference between TN panels? I am fine with how my current TN panel looks colour-wise, so if the TN panel listed above would give me identical or near-identical colours I'd be fine with that.

TLDR: How noticeable is the difference in response times between IPS and TN panels, and how much of an issue is back light bleed on IPS panels?

Thanks!

Last edited:

tasaras98

Prominent
Jun 21, 2018
Look, i am searching for a new monitor too. In both TN and IPS panels you "ll find pros and cons. It is all about the use you do.
For my use and general opinion, IPS Panels are better than TN. TN colors are washed and i can't stand to look at them. Of course if you are a professional gamer and you play FPS games, low response time is a must, so TN Panels are the best. But for General Use and a little bit casual Gaming, i think IPS is one way street!

Also: I have a TN Panel for almost 10 years now, an old LG Flatron and i am happy too with the colors, but when i went to a store to see monitors. If we speak about colors, IPS were far more better!

Last edited: