Ips vs TN panel

Mojtaba11110

Commendable
Sep 7, 2016
Hi guys
Which one do you guys recommend for me (for gaming)
A TN 60hz 1080 monitor 1m(gtg) response time
Or
An IPS 60hz 1080 monitor 5m(gtg) response time
The first one is more expensive!

Solution
The second monitor is better. The response times with different panel technologies will not overcome the sample and hold blur both monitors will have due to their 60hz refresh rates.

This statement is not, however, saying that TN is worse and IPS is better in general, but the selection of monitors you have presented, IPS is a no-brainer here.

TN vs IPS argument is quite subjective, a lot of folks throws pitchforks at TN and hold IPS in much higher regard, where as I am much more moderate, as I don't consider IPS to be the perfect panel, far from it in fact, and the perfect monitor tech (OLED) has yet to brace us with their presence.

I will definitely say, however, that IPS will usually give a much better out of the box experience...
From experience I can tell you those 5ms on IPS are practically non existent. Using here a HP ZR24w and I don't have any ghosting issues nor anything a TN with 5ms would produce.

There was even a review here on toms about IPS vs TN (a couple years ago) where tests showed how the response time was quicker on IPS regardless of the measure stated in their specs.

kaiteck

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013

One of the main advantage of TN had over IPS is that it's cheaper. If it's not cheap, it defeats all its purpose. The higher-end IPS panels are capable of having up to 144hz

chenw

Honorable
The second monitor is better. The response times with different panel technologies will not overcome the sample and hold blur both monitors will have due to their 60hz refresh rates.

This statement is not, however, saying that TN is worse and IPS is better in general, but the selection of monitors you have presented, IPS is a no-brainer here.

TN vs IPS argument is quite subjective, a lot of folks throws pitchforks at TN and hold IPS in much higher regard, where as I am much more moderate, as I don't consider IPS to be the perfect panel, far from it in fact, and the perfect monitor tech (OLED) has yet to brace us with their presence.

I will definitely say, however, that IPS will usually give a much better out of the box experience than TN, which requires tweaking to make most use out of. Just beware, just like TN, bad IPS monitors exist.

Solution

IntelVEVO

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016
Depends, if you are using the monitor only for competitive gaming and need response times to be as fast as possible go for the TN, in all other cases i would urge you go with the IPS. As many people fail to mention there are good and bad TN panels. The fact that the TN is more pricey could indicate a good quality panel.