[SOLVED] IPS vs TN

Apr 24, 2020
I'm trying to decide between an IPS or a TN monitor for gaming. In a lot of the discussions about the issue people point out that IPS panels aren't that good for gaming because they suffer from ghosting due to low framerates and high g2g times. But a lot of these discussions are old and IPS monitors seem to have improved over the years but I can't find any recent discussions about them.

I'm now looking at a 24.5" 144Hz 1ms IPS monitor, so I'm thinking is there any reason NOT to pick this? I mean, it doesn't suffer from ghosting because of the response time and refresh rate so is there any drawbacks compared to a TN monitor?

Also what are the possible pros/cons of a VA monitor compared to an IPS monitor when it comes to gaming?

Solution
Typical VA's perform faster on average, however there are exceptions nowadays. The picture quality isn't as good as an IPS but it's loads better than a TN. Check the reviews for the IPS monitor you're looking at to see if ghosting has been an issue for it. If there's no problems and it's within your budget, definitely go for it! However, if for any reason you have to go for a VA instead of an IPS, you wont be missing out on much. They're still solid panels! I use one myself and the color and quality is outstanding next to my TN.
Typical VA's perform faster on average, however there are exceptions nowadays. The picture quality isn't as good as an IPS but it's loads better than a TN. Check the reviews for the IPS monitor you're looking at to see if ghosting has been an issue for it. If there's no problems and it's within your budget, definitely go for it! However, if for any reason you have to go for a VA instead of an IPS, you wont be missing out on much. They're still solid panels! I use one myself and the color and quality is outstanding next to my TN.

Solution