IPV4 Autoconfiguration 169.XXX Address issue.

alanme123

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
Hi guys, I am really out of options here.

What happens:

Every 1-2 hours, my wired cable network directly to modem will disconnect and become limited network access. I tried to do the Command Prompt fix and I even went as far as getting another modem, and adding a NIC to my desktop. But anything I do is not helping me fix this issue. I reinstalled drivers and used different drivers as well...

Whenever it disconnects, it becomes a 169.XXX IP address. I have to fix this issue by disabling/enabling my network driver. Afterwards it would work and have a 192.XXX IP address, but eventually it will go back to the 169.XXX IP address. I have also ran all windows update, anti-virus scans, malwarebytes, etc. How would I fix this issue??

Solution
when you disable and enable your network adapter are you getting the same 192.168.*.* address ? if so then dchp is working and you need to check your antiviruz settings, applications or even reinstall your driver if you get a different address every time then its your dhcp server. 169.254.*.* is an appipa address, you basically get this address when your pc cannot contact the dhcp server. go to your command prompt do a ipconfig release then a ipconfig renew. find your default gate way and put in into your browser, by default the dhcp lease duration is set to 8 days but it will try to get a new ip by the 6th day or so. Someome might of modified the lease date so try checking your dhcp lease duration settings. if its fine then try and...
All 169 addresses mean is you did not get a IP from the DHCP server. If you are getting 192.168 addresses then your "modem" is actually a router. The DHCP lease time could be set very low you may want to increase it. It likely would not hurt to set it to fairly high values like 7 days.

If nothing else works look at the information that comes up in the ipconfig /all command when it is working and go into the network setting and set all these value statically.

Fyllehund

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014

Even doh his DHCP lease time is low it shouldn´t cut him out should it? It normally just renews the period and you stay connected without even noticing

But that assumes it renews at 1/2 the DHCP time correctly. If you actually hit the limit the pc will drop the ip and ask for a new one. The only way you can get a 169 address is to have DHCP enabled and the PC not get a response to the DHCP request. For home users it is much simpler to just hard code the IP rather than try to find what is blocking dhcp. It could be something on the PC or issues with the router.

plivin89

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014
when you disable and enable your network adapter are you getting the same 192.168.*.* address ? if so then dchp is working and you need to check your antiviruz settings, applications or even reinstall your driver if you get a different address every time then its your dhcp server. 169.254.*.* is an appipa address, you basically get this address when your pc cannot contact the dhcp server. go to your command prompt do a ipconfig release then a ipconfig renew. find your default gate way and put in into your browser, by default the dhcp lease duration is set to 8 days but it will try to get a new ip by the 6th day or so. Someome might of modified the lease date so try checking your dhcp lease duration settings. if its fine then try and see if there is an update for your routers firmware, if not then then reboot it.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS